ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-19, 04:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda98 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda98 has a spectacular aura about
something I think will help everyone.

their is a guy on youube named richard brandon, he is a psychologist and even though I've been mainly looking up his video's for my own benifet, I found a video that I think will help everyone. to tap into feelings, motivation, profound self love etc...etc... it works in a big way I've found

a short discription of what he says in the video below is to imagine ourselfs as an infant (he goes into like a short description of self hypnosis) and imagine a parent or both parents behind us as an infant giving us us the feedback we always wanted to hear. He also says to imagine the parent we have the most tenuous relationship saying it in the most loving way you can imagine.

like. behind us we can imagine the parent saying "I love you. you can do it, I have confidence in you" basicly every self doubt we have about ourselfs reverse the doubt and imagine the parent (both) saying he opposite, and, it surprisingly works really well. He really goes into it at 22 minutes.

Last edited by namazu; 03-08-19 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: fixed youTube link
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drogheda98 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-19-19), Daniel1970 (03-14-19)
Old 03-14-19, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold
Re: something I think will help everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogheda98 View Post
their is a guy on youube named richard brandon, he is a psychologist and even though I've been mainly looking up his video's for my own benifet, I found a video that I think will help everyone. to tap into feelings, motivation, profound self love etc...etc... it works in a big way I've found

a short discription of what he says in the video below is to imagine ourselfs as an infant (he goes into like a short description of self hypnosis) and imagine a parent or both parents behind us as an infant giving us us the feedback we always wanted to hear. He also says to imagine the parent we have the most tenuous relationship saying it in the most loving way you can imagine.

like. behind us we can imagine the parent saying "I love you. you can do it, I have confidence in you" basicly every self doubt we have about ourselfs reverse the doubt and imagine the parent (both) saying he opposite, and, it surprisingly works really well. He really goes into it at 22 minutes.

Aww, that's really nice, I'm going to try that.

I grew up with a lot of criticism, not just from my parents but also other kids and teachers, other parents. So the inner critic is pretty relentless. I also seem to attract relationships that are critical as well, so that just reinforces it! Sometimes when someone is just nice and accepting and affirming, it almost feels fake or too good to be true, but maybe that's how most nice people are.

So imagining especially my dad saying that to me, in that voice, feels powerful. That voice I wish he had, instead of the one he had and has. Don't get me wrong, I love him and he tries.

My therapist also recommended I visit myself as a child before falling asleep, and put my younger self to bed and let him know "I'm the 48 year old Daniel, and you are going to make it. You are ok just the way you are, and you are going to be ok."

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-19-19), Drogheda98 (03-15-19), namazu (03-19-19)
Old 03-14-19, 02:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1970 View Post
Aww, that's really nice, I'm going to try that.

I grew up with a lot of criticism, not just from my parents but also other kids and teachers, other parents. So the inner critic is pretty relentless. I also seem to attract relationships that are critical as well, so that just reinforces it! Sometimes when someone is just nice and accepting and affirming, it almost feels fake or too good to be true, but maybe that's how most nice people are.

So imagining especially my dad saying that to me, in that voice, feels powerful. That voice I wish he had, instead of the one he had and has. Don't get me wrong, I love him and he tries.

My therapist also recommended I visit myself as a child before falling asleep, and put my younger self to bed and let him know "I'm the 48 year old Daniel, and you are going to make it. You are ok just the way you are, and you are going to be ok."
And I will definitely say it to my kids!

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-19-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-19, 11:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

What is CPTSD?

D.
Old 03-14-19, 11:47 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,095 Times in 10,644 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is CPTSD?
complex post-traumatic stress disorder
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (03-15-19)
Old 03-14-19, 11:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:

Holy **** this is me. I'm trying really hard not to be the bad parent to my kids. But I definitely got some programming in my head that is harsh, judgmental, self-critical. I think I'm at 1-5, which is, my life generally works but it's a lot harder for me than other folks and I handle stress a lot more poorly than others seem to do.

Thanks for sharing Drog. Oh and thanks for the add.

D.

D.
Old 03-15-19, 12:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:

Where do I get the audio self-hypnosis recording he asks you to use?

I suspect I may have to do this with the help of my therapist, as he suggests for some, because even when I was imagining (w/o really first doing self-relaxation) my parent above and behind me and I'm an infant, and imagining that parent saying the nice things, it started triggering some uncomfortable imagery in my brain that I had no real ability to ignore or stop. Like some part of me was purposely trying to disrupt what I was doing and ruin it by flashing these disturbing intrusive thoughts.

D.

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-19-19)
Old 03-15-19, 05:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda98 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda98 has a spectacular aura about

have you ever done this.

say the word "this" and then litteraly wake up 2 minutes later after a long diouloge you have. I cought myself doing such a thing before and the "this" that he referse to in the video is the sort of ptsd. I've done some imagining of my own and I think I can use the term *this* in it's proper context ( it stems from existential crises which, I think, is the oedipal complex) and my therapist *magic*.

but from reading about such a concept, I can't imagine the "this" predicament not being an oedipal/existential crises
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda98 For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (03-15-19)
Old 03-19-19, 04:41 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
Same Here...

Quote:
even when I was imagining (w/o really first doing self-relaxation) my parent above and behind me and I'm an infant, and imagining that parent saying the nice things, it started triggering some uncomfortable imagery in my brain that I had no real ability to ignore or stop. Like some part of me was purposely trying to disrupt what I was doing and ruin it by flashing these disturbing intrusive thoughts.

D.
I think I will pass on trying to summon my mother's voice ever again, but I love the idea of going back and visiting with my younger self and offering belated words and hugs of reassurance and encouragement.

Would be wonderful if this would help me go to sleep more quickly. Can't wait to try it out. Thank you, Drogheda.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (03-20-19)
Old 03-20-19, 12:30 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
This Is a Fantastic Hack for Going to Sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
...I love the idea of going back and visiting with my younger self and offering belated words and hugs of reassurance and encouragement.

Would be wonderful if this would help me go to sleep more quickly. Can't wait to try it out. Thank you, Drogheda.
According to my Fitbit, with this routine I fell into a light sleep within minutes, and slept for a total of more than 7 hours (still no deep sleep for another hour, though). The previous night I had tossed and turned for 90 minutes before falling asleep for a total of 5.4 hours.

Definitely worth trying again.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-20-19)