ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 03-15-19, 10:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,454 Times in 13,290 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much sleep do you need?

6-7 hours; fortunately I don't have many issues with sleep because I really can't function well at all when I'm tired.
Old 03-15-19, 05:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda98 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda98 has a spectacular aura about

depends, everyone's different, in reality I think the body (an extension of the brain) knows.

the key is the circadian rhythm and the most important part about the rythem is usually the reverse (meaning it's not as important, at first, when you get to sleep but when you wake up in the morning, speaking from experience)

after a while of waking up at almost the same time everyday your body will start to get tired at night which is basically your body telling you, hey, it's time for sleep..

then you know how much sleep you specifically need. now I need to follow my own advice as well (been a while sense I've woken up at the same time everyday). the hardest part is getting up at the same time even if no sleep happens.

also, too much sleep is just as bad as too little.
Old 04-02-19, 12:40 AM

Optimist25 is just really niceOptimist25 is just really niceOptimist25 is just really niceOptimist25 is just really nice

This is an interesting thread. Like many of us, I've struggled to pinpoint the primary cause(s) of my inattentive issues but over the years I've realized that sleep is the most important factor in determining how well I'll function the following day. For me, there are two kinds of lousy sleep I experience:

(1) Not enough sleep due to inability to fall asleep (insomnia) = waking up with inadequate mental/physical energy, brain fog, very poor working memory, and immense frustration knowing I'll have a very unproductive day.

(2) Poor quality sleep = same exact consequences as the above ^ ^ ^ but with one exception.... my head will eventually clear after several zombie-like hours and by late afternoon/early evening I feel normal and productive again.

The first issue I mentioned I feel is fairly straightforward and something everyone experiences from time to time regardless of whether or not they have ADD... being sleep deprived will of course make anyone feel mentally/physically tired, foggy, have poor working memory, and be unproductive. If you're in a bad sleep routine, things tend to snowball and your sleep routine gets more and more out of sync with the rest of the world.

The second issue I think is harder to understand and more common amongst ADDers I think. The causes of poor quality sleep seem somewhat random and difficult to pinpoint. You can fall asleep at the same time as usual, get the same number of hours of sleep, have the same worries/stress as usual, but it seems like a crap-shoot as to whether or not you wake up feeling refreshed+ready to be productive or if you wake up mentally foggy+barely able to function during the day (until, in my case at least, my head clears hours later).

I always found it very hard to pinpoint why this was the case and it had always been the case until ~3 years ago when I graduated college. After graduation I got a job working for construction contractors as a way to make some money until I ended up getting my current finance job. The work in construction was physically brutal. We'd work from 8am until sundown (which was ~8pm since it was summer time) and since I was the young, new, and inexperienced guy, I'd have to do the most physically exhausting work, the "grunt work". Literally entire days spent moving incredibly heavy materials back and forth. When I got home at night, I'd eat, watch TV for like 10 minutes, and then just go to bed and basically pass out. I'd wake up in the morning feeling completely mentally clear (physically sore as hell though).
I've spent days working my *** off in college and at my job in finance but that kind of exhaustion (mental) never resulted in the kind of quality sleep and clear head I had when I was doing physical work all day in construction.

I guess my point is, or at least what I learned from the experience, is that vigorous physical exercise is CRUCIAL for quality sleep. There's no more insomnia since you fall asleep quickly+naturally (basically pass out, but in a good way) and, assuming you gave yourself enough time to sleep, you wake up feeling mentally fresh. It makes some sense from an evolutionary psychology standpoint since we didn't evolve to just sit all day and not physically exert ourselves.

Since I no longer have to exert myself physically at work in a finance job, I find that regular, vigorous weightlifting does the trick. The most important thing to remember is to do the most strenuous lifts: compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc.) and couple those with working out smaller isolated muscle groups since your body can't take the physical strain of squatting every day
Lastly, to those who don't lift regularly, it's difficult to get into the routine of lifting since your body gets so sore initially. This makes it easy to give up but you must force yourself to establish a regular routine. Once your body strengthens, the routine becomes much easier and you just naturally feel like you want to work out (plus you'll be healthier and not to mention, the physical appearance improvements will increase your motivation as well). It might sound like I went off the rails on some meathead rant with this weightlifting stuff but strenuous physical exercise is incredibly beneficial to your sleep and mental clarity (I'd also like to mention that weight lifting seems to have a much more beneficial impact on sleep quality+mental clarity than cardio but perhaps that's just me).

Good night everybody and please give a shot!

Cliff notes:
1. ADDers tend to have more issues with sleep (but if you ask me, it's because we aren't exerting ourselves enough during the day [thanks to ADD issues] and we worry more than non-ADDers, and this all snowballs to delay your circadian rhythm resulting in better mental alertness at night and sluggishness/fatigue during the day when it should be the other way around).
2. You must vigorously exert yourself physically to fall asleep naturally and quickly (aka no insomnia) and so you wake up with a clear head (aka no mental fog that takes hours to clear the following day).
3. LIFT WEIGHTS.
4. I truly believe the benefits are immense which is why I stayed up to type this so now I'm going to race to bed!

Last edited by Optimist25; 04-02-19 at 01:00 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-19, 03:23 AM
Jr Member

OneOfAMind is on a distinguished road

I sleep for 6-8 hours, sometimes I only get 4 hours of sleep. I feel like I need more and sometimes I get really tired early in the evening, but force myself to stay awake so I sleep better at night. I usually wake up 1-2 times each night, sometimes for up to 30 minutes. I used ritalin XR a year ago, that improved my sleep quite a bit, but the other side-effects was so horrible that I had to quit. I use vyvanse 50 mg in the mornings but I don`t sleep better or worse when I drop it 1-2 days a week to avoid tolerance so it does not improve\worsen sleep. Almost a year ago I used seroquel regularely, it made me sleep a bit better and longer even though I woke up 1-2 times a night on that as well, but it worsened my symptoms in the mornings and I was more forgetful etc.

Excersizing almost every day and avoiding caffeine in the evening help. (I don`t drink coffee so caffeine works really well when I use it).
Old 04-02-19, 09:53 AM

Thanked 26,808 Times in 12,511 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

For me it depends on whether I'm having a Fibromyalgia Flare or some other
medical condition, or whether I'm doing pretty well.

According to my c-pap results I've been sleeping about 9 to 11 hours a night
for the last two weeks (fibro flare). Otherwise about 8-9 hours.

Of course that result includes the times I wake up and lie there trying to get
back to sleep.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-02-19)
Old 04-03-19, 04:25 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I need at least 7-8 hours of sleep. And i feel too drowsy and sleepy especially in early evenings. When i wake up in mornings, i feel as i didn't sleep. I take at least 500 mg (some days 1 g) caffeine daily but still i'm so sleepy.
Do inattentive add people need more sleep than hyper? Is that because of dopamine deficiency or noradrenaline deficiency?
Is there anyone like me? Do you have any suggestion for this problem? Do you know any medicinal or nonmedicinal solution?
You should try Modafil aka Provigil, it's a real lifesaver and there are online pharmacies to where you can buy it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Also the side affects they claim I've never experienced personally btw.

There is also Armodafinil the little brother of Modafinil, although less potent some people actually find more success with taking Armodafinil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armodafinil

PM me if you have any questions, hope this helps.
Old 04-03-19, 06:26 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd_ View Post
You should try Modafil aka Provigil, it's a real lifesaver and there are online pharmacies to where you can buy it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Also the side affects they claim I've never experienced personally btw.

There is also Armodafinil the little brother of Modafinil, although less potent some people actually find more success with taking Armodafinil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armodafinil

PM me if you have any questions, hope this helps.
Those are both prescription-only meds, how can you buy them online?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-03-19, 08:42 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Those are both prescription-only meds, how can you buy them online?
google is your friend

adrafinil is OTC btw but modnifil is considered a schedule 4 even though it's what adrafinil turns into after it's metabolized in the body

https://www.purenootropics.net/produ...964.0487000254
Old 04-03-19, 10:12 PM

Quote:
google is your friend

adrafinil is OTC btw but modnifil is considered a schedule 4 even though it's what adrafinil turns into after it's metabolized in the body

https://www.purenootropics.net/produ...964.0487000254
Earlier you touted Modafil (aka Provagil) then provided a link to Modafinil.
Are those the same thing?

You also mentioned Armodafinil and now you've added Adrafinil.

Are these all the same kind of medication?

Old 04-03-19, 10:28 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Are these all the same kind of medication?
Nope.

https://www.braintropic.com/adrafinil-vs-modafinil/

https://nootriment.com/is-adrafinil-legal/

"Legal Status in the United States
adrafinil legal statusIn the United States, Adrafinil is legal to use, buy and possess."

"It is currently unregulated and unscheduled by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It has not been submitted for, nor has it been approved by the FDA, for any specific clinical uses requiring a prescription."

"The Drug Enforcement Agency, likewise, has no jurisdiction over Adrafinil as it is not classified as a controlled substance."

"No prescription is needed to acquire Adrafinil under its current legal status and citizens are free to purchase it domestically or to import it for personal use. In the USA, Adrafinil falls into a sort of grey area for substances which are not approved or regulated by the FDA, but are also not illegal to buy and use."
Old 04-03-19, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Nope.

https://nootriment.com/is-adrafinil-legal/

"Legal Status in the United States
adrafinil legal statusIn the United States, Adrafinil is legal to use, buy and possess."

"It is currently unregulated and unscheduled by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It has not been submitted for, nor has it been approved by the FDA, for any specific clinical uses requiring a prescription."

"The Drug Enforcement Agency, likewise, has no jurisdiction over Adrafinil as it is not classified as a controlled substance."

"No prescription is needed to acquire Adrafinil under its current legal status and citizens are free to purchase it domestically or to import it for personal use. In the USA, Adrafinil falls into a sort of grey area for substances which are not approved or regulated by the FDA, but are also not illegal to buy and use."
In post #21 on this thread you wrote that Modafil (Provagil) was available
online. I challenged that.

Then you began talking about Adrafinil, which you say is available online,
but is not the same med as Modafil or Armodafinil.

I'm totally confused about what you are actually recommending.

Old 04-04-19, 12:13 AM
Contributor

Quote:
In post #21 on this thread you wrote that Modafil (Provagil) was available
online.
Modafil is available online, there are online pharmacies you can buy it from, just do a google search. Mods will delete the link if I post it.

Quote:

Not recommending anything, are my posts that incoherent? If so I should stop posting then.
Old 04-04-19, 12:15 AM
Contributor

Quote:

but is not the same med as Modafil or Armodafinil.
I know it's not the same med, I posted the article link that explains how the two nootropics work.

Old 04-04-19, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Modafil is available online, there are online pharmacies you can buy it from, just do a google search. Mods will delete the link if I post it.

Not recommending anything, are my posts that incoherent? If so I should stop posting then.
I went by the link you posted from Wiki that said it's a prescription med.
I have googled and see that it can be bought online. Rather expensive.

What you wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't that sound like a recommendation to you? It does to me.