ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 06-06-14, 07:17 AM

Thanked 6,508 Times in 4,752 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...udy-finds.html

Fasting Diary
(from FB)

2014 - fasting schedule (to be edited)
------------------------------------------------------
[Fast 1] - 17th,18th,19th February [80 - 90 hours]
--- forgot to record fasting schedule ---
[Fast a] - 24th, 25th May
[Fast b] - 27th, 28th, 29th May ... no hunger felt.
[Fast c] - 31st, 1st, 2nd May ... no hunger felt.
[Fast d] - 4th, 5th, 6th May - no hunger felt
Very peculiar - no hunger felt at all - maybe a little less 'with it' but but but
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-06-14), sarek (07-01-14)
Old 06-06-14, 07:20 AM

Re: Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds

This idea is really really important.
Old 06-06-14, 07:27 AM

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...1&postcount=34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct 2013
Now - I've been split down:
[1] Social organism formation (shift in reward systems)
[2] Enforcedly aerobic [ketogenic metabolism preferred]
[3] OR (them and us) to AND (everything's connected) mind type.

So - all three hold.

[1] is most important to realise - emergence of an enforcedly social organism helps us to understand the other two.
[3] Now - of course, an enforcedly social organism 'd have to 'field' a wise (moral) mind - that mind forms with education - and so a predisposition towards the wise (mind) forming 'd be necessary.
This second point can be skipped over - but is interesting - it echoes Hartmann's points about 'ADDers as old souls nearing enlightenment' - so a predisposition to wisdom/enlightenment using structure of mind argument entices.

And finally [2].
Ketogenic metabolism requires blood glucose levels to be kept steady; and ketogenic metabolism appears healthier.

At this point - I'm probably going to gun for a low glycaemic index proper foods diet [vegetables vegetables vegetables], with periods of fasting/exercise of 3 days (see leptin sensitivity literature) in which 'housekeeping' can be performed.

Maybe 3 days fasting per week ?

That way we'll benefit from bouts of ketosis in housekeeping ... ... (see Mount Athos publication on acetone production during fasting)
-- though ideally, I'd like the same data to be recorded over an average month or so on Athos - to see whether they're in a constant state of ketosis - or simply a few days per month ... ...

- don't know -
constant vegan ketosis is pertty hard to hold down - low GI vegan with bouts of ketosis through 3 days fasting/exercise

-- much easier.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-14, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by article above
Fasting for as little as three days can regenerate the entire immune system, even in the elderly, scientists have found in a breakthrough described as "remarkable".
Quote:
Originally Posted by April 2011
Surely the body's inappropriately overactive immune system will be switched off in a near starvation state.
It's just that the body will have other things on its mind - other things - other than wasting effort 'tilting at windmills'.
Close enough ??
The Following User Says Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-07-14)
Old 06-06-14, 08:35 AM

ARTICLE

Prolonged Fasting Reduces IGF-1/PKA to Promote Hematopoietic-Stem-Cell-Based Regeneration and Reverse Immunosuppression

http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/a...2814%2900151-9
namazu (06-07-14)
Old 06-06-14, 08:36 AM

--- note ---

This information is essential for pet owners as it relates to over-fed animals also.
Old 06-06-14, 09:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,820 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link.

I used to fast regularly. For a while I fasted for one day every week (i.e. 36h) but now I just fast twice a year (each time 36h).

I don't really feel hungry or tired either but my cognitive capabilities really take a hit. I can't focus on anything and towards evening I get a bit irritable.

The longest I've ever fasted was 5 days when I was 16 and at that time I really felt knocked out.

I'm assuming that you still drink water when fasting. Anything else?

(I usually just have water or herbal tea, maybe 1 cup of coffee ).

I'm planning to fast for a day beginning of next month but I'm not sure how advisable that is now that I'm taking stimulants. Maybe I should skip the meds on that day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...udy-finds.html

Fasting Diary
(from FB)

2014 - fasting schedule (to be edited)
------------------------------------------------------
[Fast 1] - 17th,18th,19th February [80 - 90 hours]
--- forgot to record fasting schedule ---
[Fast a] - 24th, 25th May
[Fast b] - 27th, 28th, 29th May ... no hunger felt.
[Fast c] - 31st, 1st, 2nd May ... no hunger felt.
[Fast d] - 4th, 5th, 6th May - no hunger felt
Very peculiar - no hunger felt at all - maybe a little less 'with it' but but but
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
SB_UK (06-06-14)
Old 06-06-14, 10:21 AM

Quote:
herbal tea, maybe 2 cup of coffee
:-)
So very similar - I don't drink water but have 2 1/2 cups of herb tea with stevia as opposed to 1 cup each drink.

apple crunch as we speak ... ... strawberry/mango before ... ... lemon/ginger to follow.
Fuzzy12 (06-06-14)
Old 06-06-14, 11:43 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 6,133 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Shattering the Myth of Fasting for Women: A Review of Female-Specific Responses to Fasting in the Literature

This post has focused on sex-specific responses to fasting. Another important distinction to make is between different body weights. Overweight and obese patients appear to experience significant improvements with IF regimes, but normal weight patients do not show the same across-the-board benefits. For women this may be a particularly sensitive issue. Overweight women may experience metabolic benefits, whereas normal weight women do not. I suspect that that may roughly be the case, but who knows. Honestly, no one.

The solution, then, in moving forward, is to look at options, to be honest about priorities, and to listen to oneís body with awareness and love. Is fasting worth trying if a woman is overweight and trying to improve her metabolic markers, and so far hasnít had much success? Perhaps. Should it be undertaken if a woman is of normal weight? What if she is a light sleeper? What if her periods begin to dysregulate? Or stop? What if she starts getting acne, getting a stronger appetite, or losing her appetite altogether? These things happen, and I see them in women who fast and contact me time and time again.

We women (people!) should be honest with ourselves about our priorities, and act constantly with our mental and physical health foremost in our minds. All women are different. But the literature is so sparse in this area that we cannot make any real statements or predictions about the effects of fasting, other than that we just donít know, and that we should continue to emphasize the centrality of awareness, caution, and loving nourishment in moving forward.

I am always happy when people find things that work well for them however I am equally skeptical regarding the conclusion that what is good for one person is good for all people because it fails to take into account our diversity.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-06-14), namazu (06-07-14), SB_UK (06-06-14)
Old 06-06-14, 11:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,820 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post

I am always happy when people find things that work well for them however I am equally skeptical regarding the conclusion that what is good for one person is good for all people because it fails to take into account our diversity.
I guess, this holds good for EVERYTHING but fasting is supposed to have health benefits apart from losing weight or controlling your weight as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-07-14), SB_UK (06-06-14)
Old 06-06-14, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Shattering the Myth of Fasting for Women: A Review of Female-Specific Responses to Fasting in the Literature

This post has focused on sex-specific responses to fasting. Another important distinction to make is between different body weights. Overweight and obese patients appear to experience significant improvements with IF regimes, but normal weight patients do not show the same across-the-board benefits. For women this may be a particularly sensitive issue. Overweight women may experience metabolic benefits, whereas normal weight women do not. I suspect that that may roughly be the case, but who knows. Honestly, no one.

The solution, then, in moving forward, is to look at options, to be honest about priorities, and to listen to oneís body with awareness and love. Is fasting worth trying if a woman is overweight and trying to improve her metabolic markers, and so far hasnít had much success? Perhaps. Should it be undertaken if a woman is of normal weight? What if she is a light sleeper? What if her periods begin to dysregulate? Or stop? What if she starts getting acne, getting a stronger appetite, or losing her appetite altogether? These things happen, and I see them in women who fast and contact me time and time again.

We women (people!) should be honest with ourselves about our priorities, and act constantly with our mental and physical health foremost in our minds. All women are different. But the literature is so sparse in this area that we cannot make any real statements or predictions about the effects of fasting, other than that we just donít know, and that we should continue to emphasize the centrality of awareness, caution, and loving nourishment in moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeADD's link
In response to 40% CR, females became emaciated, ceased cycling, underwent endocrine masculinization, exhibited a heightened stress response, increased their spontaneous activity, improved their learning and memory, and maintained elevated levels of circulating brain-derived neurotrophic factor.
... ... ... pointing us towards the idea that this is an essential post-menopausal strategy ?

cf Healthy ageing - perhaps the single most important area of medical research - in the midst of a globally ageing population

- sadly ageing badly.
namazu (06-07-14)
Old 06-06-14, 04:00 PM

My personal feeling is that women need to adopt a more extreme form of fasting than males -
why ?
reduced caloric needs ... ...

Just a sec.

This kinda' nails the point:
Quote:
Compared to men, women suffer a disproportionate burden of disease attributable to overweight and obesity
http://www.patientsmedical.com/healthaz/obesityfemale/

The point I've made previously is that I think women are more evolutionarily precious - meaning that the female needs 'less' to survive optimally - and I certainly do realise that feeling special won't help to mitigate the pain of the extreme environmental change in (most notably) food intake - which will be required.

So far - I'd say that this is the strategy to combat inflammatory disorders.

I have 'em all and they appear - still early days - to be improving.
Old 06-06-14, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Thing is - the technique works on animals from the worm!! (C. elegans) up ... ...

Quote:
In studies going back to the 1930s, mice and many other species subsisting on a severely calorie-restricted diet have consistently outlived their well-fed peers by as much as 40 percent.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0502143834.htm

Any mechanism illustrated from the simplest organism up - is definitely going to apply to both women and men.

I can feel the pain of the suggestion though.

Big picture view - it's for the best for the planet and the starving many.
Also, naturally for the rich majority who're killing themselves through eating excess.

Tell you what though - eating every 4th day makes that 4th day eating pleasurable.

Lentils tomorrow !! <- in turmeric - yes! an anti-oxidant

- but we don't really need to worry about exotic anti-oxidants (though it's probably a good additional strategy) - additional to 3 day fasts.
Old 06-06-14, 04:32 PM

A recent study which included males + females.
Quote:
Our data indicate that the benefits of CR on ageing are conserved in primates.
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14...comms4557.html

-*-

Really - this is the one-stop shop for overcoming the major killers.
There's no way that caloric restriction can have a dramatic effect on "all-cause mortality" ie on everything unless it (eating too much) underlies all-cause(s of) disease."
Old 06-06-14, 04:33 PM

Connecting back to previous points -
don't worry about your kids refusing vegetables

- following on from an intermittent fast - ALL food tastes great - opening the door to getting them to eat the veggie/MUFA-rich diet we're converging upon realising is the healthiest way to go.

Most efficient to produce, most healthy to eat - your gut biome will be proud.