ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-01-15, 11:28 AM
Jr Member

leahy_wi is on a distinguished road
Adderall side effects

So I have been taking Adderall for sometime now, it is not really helping that much, but a little. The more the Dr. ups my dose the more and more really hart side effects I have to live with. Some of these side effects are: trouble sleeping, when I first switch to 20 mg I went to bed at around 11 pm and could not fall a sleep to like 5 am and I had to be up at 8 am. After taking the meds I was not longer tired, that next night fell a sleep around 2 am, you would think after only getting less then 3 hours of sleep I would be somewhat tired that next night, but NOPE. I can not eat, if I eat the smallest amounts of food I am full, I eat very little. People tell me I need to force myself to eat, no way, the thought of eating on this stuff makes me want to cry. I am warm all day, I have some of the worst dry mouth I have ever seen, sick to my stomach. Is this all normal to some of you? And then there is this last side effect that I really don't like talking about, but want to know if anyone else has it. During sex, well at climax, does anyone else of this really painful end to sex? A small but painful burning, not great at all feeling. And no it is not an STD I don't sleep around, it started right after I started the Adderall, I stop taking the Adderall it went away, I started talking the Adderall it came back. Anyway else have any of these problems? Did anything work for any of you guys that really helped.

Please Help, thanks in Advance
Old 10-01-15, 10:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,987 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall side effects

While the sexual aspects are variable for each individual, overall, what you describe is a subset of the most common side-effects of amphetamine-based medications across large populations in clinical treatment.

---

I donít take Adderall, but I do take (generic) Dexedrine. I experience the following side-effects, and no, none of them are deal-breakers (for me):
  • cold feet/toes, and sometimes fingers following exposure to cold
  • dry mouth
  • inhibition of appetite
  • constriction of the urinary sphincter
  • changed erectile response
  • delayed orgasm
  • lower threshold of perspiration

I probably forgot an item or two, but those are my major side-effects.

There are lots of other effects as well, but because they are desired and beneficial, I consider them part of successful treatment, and they make the above annoyances just that...annoyances.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
leahy_wi (10-02-15)
Old 10-02-15, 12:15 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,107 Times in 7,988 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been taking adderall? What dose are you currently taking?

My first 2 months of taking adderall were miserable for me.
The titrating was no fun.
I don't remember what dose I started at, or what the increases were anymore...but I just know that it was a slow, frustrating process.
I didn't get any of the benefits everyone talks about. No help with my focus, no clearing my mind, no motivation. All I got was tired and grumpy and lethargic and withdrawn. And it was like this for a couple of months through my slow dose increases.

But then it finally happened. We bumped me up yet again with another increase...and dang! Everything changed! I FINALLY found a dose that actually gave me that focus and energy and everything.

I nearly quit...almost asked my doc to switch me to a different med, because I was starting to think adderall just wasn't going to help me.
But I sure am glad I stuck with it!

...I don't know your situation. I don't know if you're still in the titrating process? Slowly increasing your dose to try and find a dose that helps you.
But if you're still in that process, I say stick it out for a bit longer. Maybe you just haven't found your dose yet!

And I agree with aeon above. I still get negative side effects, but the positives I get from adderall now, outweigh the negatives.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
leahy_wi (10-02-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-15, 12:34 AM
Jr Member

leahy_wi is on a distinguished road

I am taking between 20 and 30 mg. I don't get much help with both doses, but I do get all the bad side effects.
The Following User Says Thank You to leahy_wi For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (10-02-15)
Old 10-02-15, 01:07 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,666 Times in 7,947 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I know for me, supplementing with zinc and magnesium really helped me with the majority of symptoms you mention. That along with drinking lots of water regularly. Staying hydrated was critical for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-02-15), leahy_wi (10-03-15)
Old 10-02-15, 01:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,987 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree, hydration is so very important. It does seem my need for water increases when I take my meds, even when I am not perspiring, or in some state of imbalance related to blood glucose or salt.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10-02-15, 03:05 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 16,107 Times in 7,988 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahy_wi View Post
I am taking between 20 and 30 mg. I don't get much help with both doses, but I do get all the bad side effects.
This is exactly how I felt during my first couple of months

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
leahy_wi (10-03-15)