ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-22-08, 09:49 PM

ItsBinky is on a distinguished road
Thats it? [question about getting re-diagnosed]

I was diagnosed with ADD when i was five years of age, i was never treated for it back then because i guess the only medicine that was offered was ritallin and the side effects wernt worth getting treated over (at least in my mothers eyes). So i pretty much lived most my life till now pretty fine till about the 6th grade. Everything started to get harder and harder and i wasn't doing very well in school and with staying focused, remembering simple things, completing homework, and just staying on task all together. I'm 16 now and i finally realized that maybe i needed help... so i talked to my mother about it last Monday and she quickly set up an appointment with the family doctor for that Friday. Well when we got their my mother realized that a regular doctor couldnt really do much since she was just a doctor and didn't really specialize in that stuff... and we expected to get refferd to some psychologist or psychiatrist or something along those lines. But when the doctor came in i told her all about what i was felling and that i had been previously diagnosed with ADD, and after a while of me telling her how i felt and stuff she prescribed me adderall...

is that whats supposed to happen? would think that i should have to get re-diagnosed or something... i mean come i could be just trying to get my hands on some meds and not even have ADD!! (not saying that i dont)
but yeah... is that how its supposed to go?

[so sorry about my rambling/bad spelling]
Old 01-22-08, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of
Re: Thats it? [question about getting re-diagnosed]

I think that any doctor can prescribe these meds - at least where I have lived - in Canada and in the Netherlands. I suppose not all of them would want to, especially not without some form of diagnosis letter. But you apparently made an honest impression .. or she has a lot of experience with ADD and concluded that this was indeed the case with you .. or maybe your mother also told her?

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d