ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-18, 06:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,245 Times in 14,921 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Mariah Carey has BPII so of course the world pays attention!

SO.....Mariah Carey announced she has bipolarII. Whoopee. I think she has a memoir coming out. Great. Now its time to pay attention and bring awareness to is because a celeb has brought it front and center. It irritates me. I see stories all the time about some awful thing and its always..."suspect's family says he may have suffered from bipolar disorder". Or something off the wall happens and its always bipolar (or autism too). I hate the fact that people are so unwilling to talk about it and understand it until its sanctioned as relevant by a famous person. How many times have I heard "I must be bipolar today- I keep going from happy to sad" to explain mood changes.
They do not get it,
they do not understand that good mood isnt mania. A good mood isnt the same as not sleeping and decideding to reorganize your filing cabinet in the middle of the night and pull out every file and spread all the papers everywhere only to give up when you burn out. Then you get to be depressed about everything and take in the mess you created and try and put it all back together.

" Did you take your meds today?" Says one ignorant associate who you made the mistake of telling. "Hey A-hole I did take my meds yet youre still an A-hole. What gives?"
Thats what I feel like saying sometimes.
I know there can be positives to a celeb acknowledgement about bipolar but it just gets under my skin that it takes someone famous to make it relevant and worthy of awareness or some "go-fund-me" fund raiser.
I hope her revelation doesnt back fire if she has a meltdown. People love to explain away serious mental health instances like impulsive speech and risk taking behavior as bipolar. The media is the worst. They love pinning the bipolar label on someone without any proof. Their "conjectures" become facts when it gets repeated over and over again.
I should be happy its coming to the light yet I am so annoyed and angry about it!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Abi (04-16-18), Andi (04-18-18), Lunacie (04-17-18), OyVeyKitty (04-17-18), stef (04-17-18)