ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 11-16-05, 11:38 PM

mokab is on a distinguished road
Question about side effect

Our 13yr old son was put on Strattera about a week ago. On day three of the medication he started vomiting. We intially thought he had the flu, but after three days of this I am beginning to wonder. He has no fever, no chills no general feeling of ick. He can keep down liquids just nothing solid. He has a weak stomach anyways. But can this be a side effect? Gonna try and get ahold of his dr. in the morning, but was just curious.

Thanks in advance.
Mokab
Old 11-17-05, 11:15 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums. Hopefully you will find this site extremely valuable.

Sorry to hear about the side-effects your son is experiencing.

Check out the Strattera quick-facts thread. I put in some of the more common side-effects people have reported.

If I may ask, what is your son's starting dose? How much does he weigh? When does he take the dose?

It probably is related to the medicine. I know I went through really bad nausea when I started and when I increased my dosage. It usually happened about an hour after I took my dose.

Hopefully you have already contacted your doctor and explained your son's symptoms.

Good luck and keep us posted.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
Old 11-17-05, 01:54 PM

My son weighes 180lbs, he was started on 28mg for a week and then went to 40 mg. yesterday. I called his doctor this morning and he said that he didn't think it was from the strattera. But I am taking him in later so will let you know. He started him on 10mg of adderall for a month but that did nothing for him. My daughter and husband both have ADD along with my son so I am pretty used to side effects, but this one threw me.

Thanks for your response.
Mokab
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-05, 06:28 PM

Ok, back from Doctor. Yes the vomiting was caused by the strattera. He took him off completely for a week then wants to reintroduce it with a dosage of 10mg, to see if the dosage was just too high.