ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-12-09, 10:36 PM

calli is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall side effect question

Does anyon'es heart flutter on 15 mg of adderall? This is just day 4 for me and this is the day the fluttering started. I take regular formula adderal. I do not take any other medication and am really concerned. Also I do not have a pre-existing heart condition and my blood pressure was measured today because I was so worried and it was 100/70. Any help understanding this would e very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 08-13-09, 02:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

It can't raise yoru stress levels some, I have felt like my heart is fluttering but I have been studied (including an EKG) and it came back normal. It maybe your dosage is too high (mine was at that point).
Old 09-05-09, 05:14 PM

TonyRPH is on a distinguished road

Fast heart beat is listed right in the medication guide that comes with it. It occurs in about 6% of patients who take it, remember it is stimulant. It can be a real issues if you have any congenital heart issues so make sure you tell your doc.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-09, 11:57 AM

derfer007 is on a distinguished road

PEPTO BISMO! Champion of all anti-acids! I keep my cabinets stocked just for the that purpose. Plus, it rids of the nausea too!
Old 01-10-10, 10:05 AM

Perryman5000 is on a distinguished road

I take 50mg vyvanse for adhd. Was on 30mg addy xr but that wasn't cutting it. I think its time to up my dose again. Just not workin like it used to maybe 60 or 70 next or I might see if dr will put me back on xr twice a day
Old 02-03-10, 08:36 PM
Jr Member

Poohbear122279 is on a distinguished road

My Psychiatrist has me on 150mgs Adderall IR. It is spread through out the day. I usually take 60mg in the morning which last anywhere from 3-4 hours and and then I spread the dose out to get me through the day. My Psychiatrist is well recommended in my area and those studies of max dosage were tested on children. I know doctors who prescribe up to 200mgs. It all depends on the person and the situation. Remember that the Adderall IR works only for 3-4 hours before it wears off. You can't believe everything you read on the intenet. You must trust your doctor.
Sincerely,
Jenn
Old 02-21-10, 03:50 PM

sugar1024 is on a distinguished road

I've been on generic 20 mg for a couple months now. I'm having a weird side effect I haven't seen discussed. I take the pill one morning and by night by feet are killing me so bad I can't walk. I'll lay off med the next day and by that night feet are finally getting better. So third morning I take it again, by night my feet, etc, etc. It didn't do it the first month or so, but now it's like clock work. I have some of the listed side effects to a minor degree, dry mouth, decreased appetite, but the good is really good. I can stay awake and focused; keep on going like the energizer bunny. Then I have to stop taking it the next day, because I can't walk from the pain in my feet. The good is good, but the bad is bad. Anybody else?
Old 02-28-10, 08:05 PM

Boz1959 is on a distinguished road

do they have a live chat on this forum? or is this it?
Old 03-01-10, 03:10 AM

KY_Flanugget is on a distinguished road

i personally will snack on something every 30 or so minutes.. what i found to work best for calming/preventing the aches is either a box of raisins or something similar to a nutri-grain bar..
Old 03-01-10, 03:48 AM

frostymoss is on a distinguished road

I think that it's important to understand that IR and XR are two different types of Adderall (i.e.: dosing differs and they affect individuals differently). Some people have abnormally fast metabolisms and the IR hits its half life very quickly for them. In addition, people build tolerances according to their own individual physiology. While 100+ mgs might seem like a ridiculous dosage to you, in reality, it might provide an individual with the same effects that your smaller dosage does for you. In general, it's important to approach the subject of drugs with the understanding that they affect each individual differently, even if the difference is incredibly small, or even unnoticeable.

This is why guidelines exist as guidelines and not rules. They are based on the majority of a sample (or samples), and their applicability does not absolutely extend to the entire population of a drug's users. That is, they are there to guide prescription/usage rather than dictate it. Just as abuse doesn't necessarily mean the guidelines are being violated, as Adderall isn't prescribed exclusively for ADD/ADHD, violation of the guidelines does not equal abuse.

As for the OP, as previously stated, it may be due to lack of eating, or possibly due to malnutrition. You should maintain a regular and healthy diet supplemented with physical exercise and a healthy lifestyle. While antacids may relieve stomach discomfort, they also increase the bio-availability of the drug, especially if you're following the guidelines and avoiding acidic foods/vitamin c. This is potentially dangerous. The regular use of antacids can also lead to gastrointestinal problems down the road, so it's important to take preventative measures for these side effects rather than treating them after they occur. If you are just starting the drug, it's possible that these side effects are temporary and will fade as your body adjusts to the drug.

It's also possible that this isn't the drug for you, and they make a variety of different drugs to treat ADD/ADHD; perhaps you should speak with your doctor about trying a new medication if these symptoms persist.
Old 03-01-10, 04:50 AM

frostymoss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar1024 View Post
I've been on generic 20 mg for a couple months now. I'm having a weird side effect I haven't seen discussed. I take the pill one morning and by night by feet are killing me so bad I can't walk. I'll lay off med the next day and by that night feet are finally getting better. So third morning I take it again, by night my feet, etc, etc. It didn't do it the first month or so, but now it's like clock work. I have some of the listed side effects to a minor degree, dry mouth, decreased appetite, but the good is really good. I can stay awake and focused; keep on going like the energizer bunny. Then I have to stop taking it the next day, because I can't walk from the pain in my feet. The good is good, but the bad is bad. Anybody else?
What are you doing that you need to stay awake and energized? While Adderall will keep you awake and focused, it's not creating energy -- that's impossible; it's telling your brain that it's not tired and it's causing certain chemicals to be released (e.g.: dopamine and serotonin). Your supply of these chemicals will eventually deplete, especially if you aren't eating properly or sleeping, and you will need to recover (i.e.: get a proficient amount of sleep, make up for missed sleep, and metabolize necessary nutrients). Running low on these chemicals can cause your body to feel all sorts of bad.

You need to get your energy from food, and preferably healthy foods. While junk foods might provide you with a buzz or what seems like a good source of energy, they're really just making things worse when you crash (and you will). Caffeine and other stimulants will also cause you to crash, as well as develop dependencies. If you drink coffee or soda/pop in the mornings and afternoons and you are staying up throughout the night, then you're going to experience withdrawal, which happens to suck with caffeine (the effects of withdrawal from caffeine include depression).

If you are staying up, and not in good physical health, this could cause the pains. It could be your body's way of telling you that you aren't healthy enough to stay up for this long, however, this could still be true even if you are in good physical condition.

If you're physically active while on Adderall, and not otherwise, then you could be experiencing soreness. If you've ever worked at a job where you need to stand/run around without sitting down for an extended period of time, then this should be familiar, or if you've ever lifted weights (properly) with the intent to build muscle.

Side effects of Adderall can include muscle soreness. If you're using it to stay up, you're probably using the medicine other than the way you were directed (e.g.: taking more than your prescribed dosage, at different times than you're prescribed, etc), and therefore side effects can be increased. Otherwise, you should talk to your doctor because even if something provides you with beneficial effects, it doesn't mean that it's healthy/right for your body/etc. Meth, heroin, and PCP provide users with plenty of beneficial effects, and obviously these aren't healthy and are certainly detrimental to one's health.

My advice would be not to use Adderall to pull all-nighters or as an energy pill (didn't your doctor go over how it isn't an energy pill and should not be used as one?). If it was healthy to do so, then they would sell Adderall at 7-11s and drug stores with all of the other energy pills, and plenty of people would use it constantly (pharmaceuticals = corporate business, and by law, corporations maximize profit, so if it was healthy to do so, then it would be done), however, Adderall is a controlled substance with potentially serious side effects for both regular use and misuse. Also, is it in your prescription details to irregularly discontinue use for days?

Use your medication as directed, and if you experience negative effects, then you should discontinue use and contact your doctor; your doctor should have informed you that potentially serious consequences can occur, especially from misuse (did your doctor warn you that, although it is a minuscule chance, you can die from even regular use of the drug?). If you are using your medicine as directed, or only in the morning, you might be experiencing a short term withdrawal from the drug if you are staying awake without having taken any for a particularly long time, and perhaps you need to adjust your dosage details, but that is for your doctor to decide, and not you or me (or anyone else here for that matter).

You'll notice that I'm telling you to be healthy and use your medicine as directed by a professional. Even if I said I was a doctor or a pharmacist, you would have no way of knowing if it were true, and the same goes for anyone else on this forum. Take everything you read here with a grain of salt, and seek all medical advice that necessarily needs to be correct from a doctor, not an anonymous group of strangers on the internet. That's not to say this isn't an amazing resource, rather I'm stressing the importance of integrity of information, and if it pertains to your health then you should seek information from a validated and creditable source, just as you can't quote wikipedia pages in a research paper (most of the time, anyway).

Why the lecture? You're saying that you're experiencing an irregular side effect that is serious enough to warrant stopping your medication. You obviously, at least to some degree, know that this isn't right to be experiencing this, so you should seek your answers from a source that is not only creditable, but from one that is familiar with your background and medical history (i.e.: someone who's qualified to answer your specific question that pertains specifically to your own health.).

Lack of sleep can also cause muscle soreness and pain. So if you are stringing all-nighters or getting very little sleep, this could be a potential source, especially when combined with Adderall.
Old 03-01-10, 06:42 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

adderall side effects includes increased heart rate.

I was on 10 mg adderall generic IR by barr/teva and felt this way.

now I am on 20 mg generic adderall by sandoz with no chest or heart problems.

also, you might consider switching to dexedrine also as it does not raise heart rate as much as adderall.
Old 03-02-10, 01:58 PM

karen_perera is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Adderall side effect question

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfer007 View Post
PEPTO BISMO! Champion of all anti-acids! I keep my cabinets stocked just for the that purpose. Plus, it rids of the nausea too!
Try to avoid

" Alkalinizing agents (eg, daily antacids, sodium bicarbonate, acetazolamide), furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, desipramine, protriptyline) because side effects such as increased blood pressure, headache, fever, and irregular heartbeat may occur"

and it also mentioned

"Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Adderall ."

Just a friendly FYI
Old 03-08-10, 03:17 AM

sPacie~Gracie is on a distinguished road

Im taking the Generic Amp mix salts ER, Adderall 30mg X BID (2 a day) it only last 4 hrs. I might have to take tablets to fill in the rest of the day (driving back home, make dinner and paybills). I've tried Vyvanse 70mg X 3 a day and this didn't last in my system. I have a very fast metabolizime and what my little brain got was just enough for me to be calm but I couldn't focus on projects or do any solving work that required attention. just felt like I was dreaming wait I do that anyways Space out! but more than ussuall. Tried Ritalin HATE IT! bad side affect almost like if I was taking some type of street drug..... yuk! and it last only less than 2 HOURS!! 10tabs a day SUCKED!!
I have a habit in taking naps on my lunch break, which It linkes to my ADD behavior (sleepy head). I noticed that taking Adderall works pretty well for me. I could focus on projects and I feel calm in stressfull times. I could even remember the last time I put my pen down. I could multitask with out missing a pace, I have a customer on the phone and by typing up a repair order for my tech to start his job, all at once!
I work at a very highly pace, stressfull, stimulating and noise job (service writer at a Harley-dealer) 5 years this month.
It seems that my RX is wearing off quickly and my doses get a bit, higher every time i see my Doc., but reading everyones elses dose..... I dont feel as bad now.
Sorry my stories are jumping on different subjects. Still working on that area.....
Old 04-01-10, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nishira has a spectacular aura aboutNishira has a spectacular aura about

curious if anyone has experienced anything similar.

was originally taking adderall IR - 10mg / 2x day (20mg total). at first i noticed an increase in needing to catch my breath and random chest tightness. i mentioned the same to the pysch doc who had me go to the ER. They did EKG and blood tests - 3 times or 6 hours - all checked out ok.

the random chest tightness seemed to go away. i started taking some different meds for sinus issues, one of which was prednisone. right about that time - (not sure if related to prednisone or coincidence) i started having continued difficulty catching my breath - pretty steady throughout the day - but symptoms easily almost completely when i was lying down and sleeping. doc had me drop from 2 pills to 1 pill.

about 1 week later i stopped taking adderall all together. each day the "catching my breath" seemed to get better and within 5 days it seemed to be gone. it seems to def have been adderall causing that but not sure why the prolong affects for 5 days after stopping.

hadn't taken adderall for a few weeks. started back up this past saturday - taking 1 10mg /day. i'm trying to determine for sure if this is a continued problem w/me and adderall and if so - i might need a different stimulant. while on the 1 pill, while - i noticed very minor similar side affects - but very minor. also, in the past few weeks i'm doing much more cardio and yoga and practicing deeper breathing - so my body is prolly in better shape overall.

yesterday i started taking 2 pills /day. yesterday after taking the 2nd pill - the "catching my breath" came back for quite a few hours. it must *much* easier to catch my breath then a few weeks back (because of better conditioning). took my first pill today - and all day - nothing, nary a side affect. then about 1pm - before i've even taken the 2nd pill yet - the "catching my breath" has come back. again, way more manageable but definitely so noticeable.

funny thing is that while i did initially have positive affects from the adderall - my body has already built up a tolerance - so even on 10mg / 2x day - i feel no (recognizeable) positive affects. this means in order to get positive affects - i'd have to increase the dosage. not sure if that will magnify my symptoms even further - ugh!

if all else fails - i might have to try a diff stimulant. just curious if anyone else has noticed anything similar?