ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-08, 01:23 AM
Contributor

justAwierd-o will become famous soon enough
"support" or "condolences" button in addition to "thanks"

... because often times I read a post about a rant or a really bad experience/day/life, etc., and I want to show support or something, but can't really think of anything to say....
Or even a "hug" button, but i guess that might be too sappy for some

Just a thought.

I really like the new "thanks" button feature, btw.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to justAwierd-o For This Useful Post:
4gotAgain (03-16-08), lunaslobo (03-17-08), Luthien (03-17-08), QueensU_girl (04-02-08), texasmissb (04-08-08), ~boots~ (03-16-08), ~Ødd~Scr~θθball (03-17-08)
Old 03-16-08, 01:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to behold
Re: "support" or "condolences" button in addition to "thanks"

I thought that would be great too!
justAwierd-o (03-16-08), QueensU_girl (04-02-08)
Old 03-16-08, 01:34 AM
Forum Guru

MJwatson has a spectacular aura aboutMJwatson has a spectacular aura about

Good Idea! Then you wouldn't risk offending anyone...or there would be no misinterpretation...hug=hug and support=support! I like it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJwatson For This Useful Post:
justAwierd-o (03-16-08), QueensU_girl (04-02-08), ~boots~ (03-16-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-08, 03:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

I'm not sure .. although it is an attractive idea, I am having second thoughts about a Support or Hug or Condolences button .. maybe because I feel that these things are a bit more complex than just a 'thank you - that was helpful'.

Thinking from the 'receiving side' .. what would it be like if I was going through something really hard and got some 'condolence' button presses .. I just don't know. Maybe a word from someone would mean more in a case like this, even if it is way harder to formulate for the giver and I would end up with a lot less 'condolences'. But is that bad?

Same with hugs. If someone touches me .. and that happens often in here, I want to say something. And that's hard to do, because well, emotions tend to be awfully hard to express when I am experiencing them. In real life giving a hug is easy .. at least, I find it easy.
So I sit there with my head full of thoughts and emotions and (meta-)thoughts about that, maybe even be tearful .. and dont know what to say. Sit there with that editor open and type a line ... delete it again. Maybe I end up not posting at all, and often a simple line is all I get in there .. but I would really rather give someone a couple of words .. or even a

or a

But I like it that is takes an effort. Wouldn't 'buttonizing' emotions make them too easy - maybe more shallow somehow?

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

Old 03-16-08, 05:46 AM

4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about4gotAgain has a spectacular aura about

thats a great idea just a weirdo.
also dont know what to say sometimes.
Old 03-16-08, 11:29 AM
Forum Guru

MJwatson has a spectacular aura aboutMJwatson has a spectacular aura about

I totally hear you Luthien and normally I would agree, but once or twice I have chosen to show support with my own words and it made things worse!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJwatson For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-18-08), Luthien (03-16-08)
Old 03-16-08, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes the simplest words help the most. However, just think of how cluttered the ends of posts could be if we have "i support you" buttons, "my condolences" buttons and the already there "thank you" buttons.

That would be a lot more distractions.

on a personal note, if I was going through something rough, i'd want more than a "my condolences" button - i'd want something more personal. All a person would have to do is say something like "i'm sorry for your loss."

on a moderator note:
it is a good idea, however, if we keep adding buttons for people to press (so that message ends up at the bottom of there post) . that could be very distracting (button-wise and message-wise)

The reason why "thank you" was added is to eliminate the one post "thank you" notes.
We don't want to eliminate supportive comments (since we are a support forum), which is what could happen if we add in a "i'm sorry/my condolences" and/or an "i support you" button.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
Andi (03-31-08), Andrew (03-16-08), Imnapl (03-18-08), Luthien (03-16-08), ~Ødd~Scr~θθball (03-17-08)
Old 03-16-08, 07:57 PM
Contributor

justAwierd-o will become famous soon enough

I understand where you guys are coming from, luthien and livingchaos. I had those doubts in the back of my mind about it, too. Esp. regarding the distractions.
It was just a random idea :-)

Although, I was thinking/hoping that, in most cases, it would be used by who wouldn't otherwise say anything, and therefore add to the original poster's awareness of how many people care (enough to at least push the "support" button).
But of course, the worst case scenario is that people would get lazy.

Old 03-16-08, 08:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

sorry - just had to play with the idea ...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
A1A5KA (03-18-08), ADDAWAY (03-16-08), Bluerose (03-17-08), Dizfriz (11-15-10), Imnapl (03-18-08), lunaslobo (03-17-08), mijahe (04-01-08), QueensU_girl (04-02-08), texasmissb (04-08-08)
Old 03-16-08, 08:46 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,073 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

lol...all that's missing is the ignition button!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
QueensU_girl (04-02-08)
Old 03-16-08, 08:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to behold

Luthien, you've just managed to send me to the hospital with split ribs!!

You're a brilliant programmer. Come join us on the Force!!
Imnapl (03-18-08), QueensU_girl (04-02-08)
Old 03-16-08, 09:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

lol, thanks .. but it's not programming, just playing with The Gimp
(and, admittedly, closing it accidentally and losing all your work .. and therefore having to do it *again*)

and what Force?

Old 03-17-08, 01:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I'll give you the Force if I can have the Gimp from you ... and, no, not the Usual Suspect Mr Keyser Zose.
Old 03-17-08, 06:52 AM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all

how about a button that just says i support you. no hugs that way its not invasive in any way.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to lunaslobo For This Useful Post:
QueensU_girl (04-02-08)
Old 03-17-08, 09:24 AM

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I'm not sure .. although it is an attractive idea, I am having second thoughts about a Support or Hug or Condolences button .. maybe because I feel that these things are a bit more complex than just a 'thank you - that was helpful'.

Thinking from the 'receiving side' .. what would it be like if I was going through something really hard and got some 'condolence' button presses .. I just don't know. Maybe a word from someone would mean more in a case like this, even if it is way harder to formulate for the giver and I would end up with a lot less 'condolences'. But is that bad?

Same with hugs. If someone touches me .. and that happens often in here, I want to say something. And that's hard to do, because well, emotions tend to be awfully hard to express when I am experiencing them. In real life giving a hug is easy .. at least, I find it easy.
So I sit there with my head full of thoughts and emotions and (meta-)thoughts about that, maybe even be tearful .. and dont know what to say. Sit there with that editor open and type a line ... delete it again. Maybe I end up not posting at all, and often a simple line is all I get in there .. but I would really rather give someone a couple of words .. or even a

or a

But I like it that is takes an effort. Wouldn't 'buttonizing' emotions make them too easy - maybe more shallow somehow?
I agree. Whether someone is venting or feeling down a few words would do more good surely? I tent to just acknowledge a vent with a little sympathy and not much comment. I don't see anything wrong with that. I can always come back and comment more positively later. Also I’m just paranoid enough to imagine, if no one comments after I have vented, that I have upset someone.