ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-17, 09:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,222 Times in 13,237 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Would you encourage or allow your kids to play Football? (American football)

My kids are older and never took to sports. My son had coordination issues and my girls liked activity and my daughter did don 4 years of color guard and one bowling season but they both let it go.

Whenn my son was about 7.5 we signed him up for pee-wee football. We got all the gear. He didnt do well with soccer and liked to rough house so I thought why not?
I always thought it was dangerous to have such tackling when the kids were son little and the difference in weight for kids on the same team seemed like a lot for me but I second guessed myself and we lived in a sports heavy town I thought it was just that I didnt know enough.
I was nearly 8 months pregnant at the time.
They made these kids practice until it was dark out in the pouring rain. They hollered and it was not a teaching sport for kids like my son.
I raised the kids to think: "its not about winning or losing,its about how you play and if its fun"
My hubby and I did sports and we never became pushy demanding parents. We have always been very layed back.
So I have his three year old sister and husband after work and me huge and preggo all hanging around these muddy fields til 830 at night.

I went into labor early and the day I had my third daughter he missed the practice the day before the first game. Of course he missed it we had a baby born!
They benched him the next day because if you miss the practice before you are benched-it didnt matter. So I said F this and pulled him out.

Now that I see all the stuff out about TBI especially the professional teams covering up what the doctors all new I am wondering if anyone has let their kids play or would?
In hindsight it was all for the best.I wasnt a fan of the football teams' atmosphere in the older grades and I dont think the values that I had would have jived.
There is newly released research that I will have to dig up about how NO kids should play football due to the risks associated with concussions and TBI and the developing brain. The adult players are being diagnosed with some serious sh*t now and its absolutely life threatening.
I heard some expert say letting your kid play football is child abuse.

what do you all think? I havent made up my mind yet about it.

xxxooo
sweets

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-13-17), Little Missy (11-14-17), Lunacie (11-15-17)