ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-11, 03:43 PM

entrepreneurKid will become famous soon enough
Smile How to Stay Focused - I figured it out! (Read)

Hey guys, just thought I'd share this.

Well like most of you, I easily get distracted. And sometimes I'll wake up- plan to get it together, before you know it- the whole day's gone & all I did was screw around all day!

I found a way to get focused!

10 Minutes at a time!

I just tell myself, "Ok, for the Next 10 Minutes- I will Focus on this Task I want to work on. And Nothing else! Just this, for 10 minutes!" And I will time myself. And when the 10 minutes is up, I'll do it again & again & again. Til it's been hours & I'm getting lots of work done!

I mean, so many times I have told myself "Ok this is it! We are going to get it together now!" And like 10 minutes later, I forgot all about it!

I can't even Remember to "Get it together." It's too big of an project for me at this moment. I guess I'll admit that going from the point I'm at now (Totally ADD'd out, don't know how to control myself yet.) To just Bam! Cold Turkey- A completely focused mind, taking care of things like I'd like to be. That's a really big Challenge!

And I guess that's totally possible, but for me, I have to do it in little portions. Instead of just saying- Ok, here is the entire Day- Now Make sure you're focused the entire day! And get all this stuff done!

That's hard, I will wonder off- maybe be good for the first 35 minutes, then I'll just get distracted by something, one thing leads to another- next thing you know it's Night time. And all I did was a series of random things that don't even matter!

So! I guess a smart way to do it for me, for now at least is- 10 Minutes at a time! Maybe later I can do 30 minutes at a time, or an hour at a time, then a day at a time, then hopefully I'll have my Rhythem down after a couple months & won't even have to think about it.

But for now- I look at it as, My Routine is- A totally cluttered & disorganized lifestyle. Infact, there is no Routine. But If I stick with it, 10 minutes at a time. And am Consistent. I know that after a while- I will develop a Routine. And not even have to think about it!

I use to have a pretty decent routine in place, I mean certain things.
And I was consistent with it! I just screwed up one day & never got my routine back! So I know I'm capable of pulling it off.

Example- I use to always be in bed by 9:30PM, I'd sleep 9 hours & wake up around 6:30AM. etc.. & for the most recent 3 years I've just been like All over the place with my sleep, which screws me up the next day.

I just really wanted to share that with you guys!

I look at my ADD, partly as a long list of Bad Habits I have. (Partly.)
And also, a small list of Good Habits that I need. (Routine type stuff.)

So I need to work on quitting these bad habits, and acquiring these good habits.

Anyway, yeah.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to entrepreneurKid For This Useful Post:
Asylum (11-10-11), auraanna (11-09-11), fracturedstory (11-14-11), full_throttle (11-11-11), Silver Gemini (11-16-11), stef (11-11-11), String (11-15-11), veraud (11-13-11), Walter White (11-10-11), zumba_chick (11-10-11)
Old 11-09-11, 03:48 PM

Re: How to Stay Focused - I figured it out! (Read)

And oh, I got this idea from this lady. She was a serious pot head.

She Quit smoking weed 10 minutes at a time.

She wanted to quit for years (This One Bad habit.)

She would dwell on it, get frustrated & upset over her not being able to quit.
Kinda like me for the most recent 3.5 years.

And one day, she got in her car. Was about to go buy weed from her dealer. She put the keys in the ignition. And was just about to turn the keys, And said "WAIT!!!!" I can at least! have control over myself for the Next 10 minutes! And she decided to "Wait 10 minutes." And when the 10 minutes were up, she waited 10 more & 10 more etc.. Til it was like an hour & a half.

Then she went in the house, was keeping her hands busy- 10 minutes at a time. Til it was night time, & she went to bed, And that was her first day of Sobriety!

So I'm going to use her advice, but for staying Focused.
And helping me develop my Routine, and being consistent.

Not that you guys need to hear any of this, just wanted to put it out there. It sorta helps me, just typing it out. I can't really tell friends, cause they don't understand. Most people don't even think ADD exists.

Alright you guys, keep it real.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to entrepreneurKid For This Useful Post:
insight needed (11-09-11), namazu (11-11-11), silver1347 (11-10-11)
Old 11-09-11, 03:55 PM
Jr Member

auraanna is on a distinguished road

Great advice!!

Another thing I might add are breaks. If you do things 10 minutes at a time, make sure to include a 10 minute break in there too to refresh yourself.

I usually do 5-10 minute breaks every hour, or, if I'm really in the zone, I'll add them up for later.

Breaks are also soooo important for me. It doesn't have to mean not doing anything necessarily, but doing something different.

For example, if I'm at the office, I will work for 60 min on the computer, then for 10 min make some necessary phone calls. Every 2 hours or so, I allow myself some "fun" time for my 10min break.

Sounds like a great plan doesn't it? If only I could stick to it ALL of the time :P
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auraanna For This Useful Post:
Asylum (11-10-11), full_throttle (11-11-11), namazu (11-11-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-11, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Saboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to allSaboit is a name known to all

I just skimmed, I could not focus.
Old 11-09-11, 05:35 PM
Contributor

emploding has a spectacular aura aboutemploding has a spectacular aura about

I do the "wait 10 minutes" thing when I'm trying to avoid destructive behaviours like self-harm or binge eating. Often it's less than 10 minutes, depending on how distressed I am, but just the concept of "delay, and surf the urge" sometimes helps.

I don't really know how to apply the same concept to ADD behaviours, my problem is I wait 10 minutes WAY too often :P

Dx: Bipolar II, ADD, DID, PTSD, Anxiety disorders, Eating disorder

Rx: Citalopram, Topamax, Ritalin
The Following User Says Thank You to emploding For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-11-11)
Old 11-09-11, 05:51 PM

TeamKProd. will become famous soon enough

My father and my old p doc told me to do something very similar to this when I was a little boy. It helped. I would attack one task at a time. Forcing myself to get a task done even when I wasn't intrested. Got me though 20 more years!

Another non-narcotic thing that helped me; was the book "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". Great book. Not a bunch of b.s. like some others out there.

But, either I wasn't able to internalize the process or it wasn't enough, and I finally got a scrip and am on Adderall. As of 5 months ago. Man, how good it feels to be "normal" (most of the time)
Old 11-10-11, 03:44 PM

Wow does this work! You know what? I don't even have to keep "Re-setting" every 10 minutes.

I just start, and then I'm off! I go off & handle my business.

So now, what I do is- if I'm feeling lazy, or starting to procrastinate something. I will imediately say "Do 10 minutes Right now!" And then I sorta also have a mental note: If I can't jump up & do 10 minutes right this second, then I really am Lazy! I Know! I can stop what every I'm doing (Distractions) And work on something that matters for 10 minutes (What ever task it is.)

So I start right on the dot! Right when I get that thought!
And now it's- the very Second that I Realize I am procrastinating, or slowing down, starting to get distracted, be lazy or what ever. That Very Second that I notice it, I go "10 Minutes Now!" And I don't even let another second go by.

I start! And then I'm off! I just don't even really slow down again, I'll be good until what ever it is- is done.

Also, my Psyhchologist already told me "You have a problem with your 'Start & Stop.' You need to work on your Start & Stop."

So like, I'll pick up my guitar- & then just play for way too long! I'll even tell myself, no longer than 20 minutes (Cause maybe I'm waiting for someone to finnish in the restroom.) But then I have Anxiety when it comes to that 20 minutes time. Like I feel all this anxiety from the thought of- Having to take action! And putting down the guitar.

Anyway- this is my way of dealing with my Start & Stop.

When ever I realize I'm screwing up- I do the 10 minuets & it works!

Also! I would really like to share this Motivational Video I watched yesterday.
I've avoided watching motivational Videos, but WOW! This one really helped me get it together.

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/5fsm-QbN9r8

Watching this started a series of events within me! Seriously!
I had a count down yesterday, counted down from 10. And I decided to just Get my act together. Sorta like a new years Resolution.

Ok, guys take care.
Old 11-10-11, 04:15 PM

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

10 minutes at a time is one tool that can work to assist with difficulty finding an entry point of any task. It allows one not to get overwhelmed and deal with things in discreet intervals.

It's a useful tool.

For me, this works sometimes. I just tell myself that my ADHD can outwit my tools and yeah it does. It keeps me from feeling negative about myself especially when I know the facts about ADHD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (11-10-11), namazu (11-11-11), pechemignonne (11-10-11), silver1347 (11-11-11)
Old 11-10-11, 08:51 PM

Gin, yeah I agree dude.

Even though we have ADD. I'm pretty sure if you Force some Consistency in your life. Well that alone is good enough, I'm almost 100% As an ADD'er I'm still capable of forcing Consistency in my life.

Like, if I make it so- the 10 Minute thing will always work no matter what!
Being Consistent in- When ever I feel I'm back sliding, do "10 Minutes."

And everytime I say "Do 10 minutes" I have to Actually do 10 minutes.

Forcing myself to be Consistent in those ways. Keeping a perfect score, not messing up at all! Everyday, day after day- after a while. I'm pretty darn sure I'll be good on that. And I will overpower my ADD at least in that small way of Winning when it comes to "Lets do 10 minutes."

Instead of my ADD over ruling my "10 Minutes" tool.

So far that's what I've done. I know it's only been 2 days, but I really changed dude! I even did a count down bro. As silly as it sounds, it worked.

Dude, I will walk down the street butt naked if I knew it would cure my ADD haha. I'm willing to do the most corny things bro.

And before anyone misunderstands me- I'm not saying that I think any of this stuff I'm talking about will Cure anyones ADD. But I think it sure will help me with my work habits!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to entrepreneurKid For This Useful Post:
LynneC (11-10-11), namazu (11-11-11)
Old 11-10-11, 09:18 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that ADHD is not a set of "bad habits". If it were, it wouldn't require medication.

So, as an ADHD, you can't really *force* consistency into your life. You can, however, set up helpful tools to improve your consistency, if you can make a realistic assessment of your abilities.

I strongly recommend that you watch some of the Barkley presentations. You still seem to be confused about what ADHD is. It is not a lack of skills. You can't just learn a new set of skills and *poof*, your ADHD won't bother you anymore.

I wish it were that simple.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (11-10-11)
Old 11-10-11, 09:38 PM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post

So, as an ADHD, you can't really *force* consistency into your life. You can, however, set up helpful tools to improve your consistency, if you can make a realistic assessment of your abilities.
Why would you not consider the 'Do 10 minutes' technique as a tool or coping mechanism?
Old 11-10-11, 09:58 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneC View Post
Why would you not consider the 'Do 10 minutes' technique as a tool or coping mechanism?
I didn't say that is wasn't.

The idea that you can "overpower" your ADHD with tools is, however, false.

Tools can help us cope, but they don't get rid of the ADHD. If your disorder is severe enough, you may not even be able to use such tools.

As Barkley says, ADHD is not a skills disorder, it is a performance disorder.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (11-10-11), LynneC (11-11-11)
Old 11-11-11, 02:52 AM

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrepreneurKid View Post
Gin, yeah I agree dude.

Even though we have ADD. I'm pretty sure if you Force some Consistency in your life. Well that alone is good enough, I'm almost 100% As an ADD'er I'm still capable of forcing Consistency in my life.

Like, if I make it so- the 10 Minute thing will always work no matter what!
Being Consistent in- When ever I feel I'm back sliding, do "10 Minutes."

I used to be in my twenties.. Now my kids are.. I'll leave them to the jumping up and down about stuff. I used to force myself and force myself at a certain point I could no longer force myself. It's like an allergy almost now that makes me feel nauseated.

For me that 10 minute too, or clean by the square yard work because they are a good and healthy substitute for forcing myself.

Quote:
So far that's what I've done. I know it's only been 2 days, but I really changed dude! I even did a count down bro. As silly as it sounds, it worked.

Dude, I will walk down the street butt naked if I knew it would cure my ADD haha. I'm willing to do the most corny things bro.

And before anyone misunderstands me- I'm not saying that I think any of this stuff I'm talking about will Cure anyones ADD. But I think it sure will help me with my work habits!
I want to tell you just a little something about the adhd brain. There is an area in the pre-frontal cortex (smack your forhead and it's right under your hand) This area of the brain houses what is called the 'executive functions' and these executive functions are the 'get set.. ready.. GO!" of getting things done.

People with adhd, when asked to do a test and have their brains scanned don't light up or have only dim lighting in this area of the brain unlike those without adhd.

Commands to 'do' die in this part of the brain. BUT, the brain has another area for getting things done. All people have this area. It's in the limbic system, the emotional part of the brain.

This area allows for super efforts. These efforts are emotionally motivated, anxiety, motivational literature, fear, etc... However, this part of the brain is not designed for sustained action. It gives you a huge burst of energy that can and does maintain for a few weeks and then that part of the brain needs to rest. It needs to recharge.

People with ADHD use this part of the brain for normal 'getting things done' but there is a price for overuse and that is burnout. Many years of overuse lead to significant burnout.

Please be kind to yourself. Rest, take the down time your brain needs, find that time.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
alan1 (11-11-11), entrepreneurKid (11-11-11), full_throttle (11-11-11), LynneC (11-11-11), namazu (11-11-11), Nifferka (11-11-11), pechemignonne (11-11-11), xXMimmXx (11-15-11)
Old 11-11-11, 03:33 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,392 Times in 9,074 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
This area allows for super efforts. These efforts are emotionally motivated, anxiety, motivational literature, fear, etc... However, this part of the brain is not designed for sustained action. It gives you a huge burst of energy that can and does maintain for a few weeks and then that part of the brain needs to rest. It needs to recharge.

People with ADHD use this part of the brain for normal 'getting things done' but there is a price for overuse and that is burnout. Many years of overuse lead to significant burnout.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

(Uttered at 2:15AM, T-10 hours before a Really Important Deadline. And I'm not in my 20s anymore. And I am taking meds...though I suspect they're not doing a lot of what they should be at the moment, for reasons that I expect to have to figure out with my new pdoc.)

But hey, I'll take any tools I can use, even if they work only for the first 10 minutes and never again. I haven't actually had much luck with this particular strategy for most tasks.

But I have found it useful when I have to do reading, especially when I have access to audio versions of the readings as well as to the printed text (otherwise I tend to lose focus within about 20 seconds and get frustrated). I will set a timer and bargain with myself to read for 15 minutes or so, then I get up and stretch or walk around a bit or do sit-ups (something physical and away from the computer), and then read for another 15 minutes.

I wish I could get it to work for other tasks, like cleaning, but my tendency to get frazzled by the attentional/organizational demands of the task (and resultant avoidance) tends to overpower my bargaining-with-myself skills. For things like this, I've found having someone work with me is extremely motivating and also helps when I get distracted.

I was lucky to find a reasonably-priced professional organizer who was a godsend when things got disastrously cluttered -- and she was willing to depart from her usual 3-hour minimum when it became clear that, even with company, I just couldn't deal with sorting stuff for that long.

I guess my point here, to add to the "strategies for staying focused" theme, is that for selected tasks, having someone by your side working with you or helping you stay on track can be very useful. Works better for some tasks than others, and with some people better than others, but worth a try if you're new to things and casting about for strategies.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-11-11), LynneC (11-11-11), pechemignonne (11-11-11), silver1347 (11-11-11), trishcan (11-11-11)
Old 11-11-11, 03:43 AM

duderkins is on a distinguished road

so i must be burnt out on that...now that i think about it the only time Ive EVER done ANYTHING it was emotionally motivated...and after a few weeks i stop doing it...like school...wow dude...what a revelation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duderkins For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-11-11), namazu (11-13-11)