ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 12-19-11, 03:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

LeoJ has a spectacular aura aboutLeoJ has a spectacular aura about
How do you motivate yourself to stay at your boring job for 5 years?

I have heard from the forum that so many of us change jobs frequently. I am no exception. I just started this boring job and I cannot let my ADHD mess it up.

If there is anyone here who was able to work at a job for over 5 years or more, I ask how did you overcome the boredom? (aside from medication).

How did you keep yourself interested? What kept you going? What was your "hook"? What kept you from getting fired/quitting/looking for another job?

I am taking a positive spin into this issue by asking those with positive results. If you like to share your story, I can't wait to hear it !
Old 12-19-11, 08:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,272 Times in 13,264 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you motivate yourself to stay at your boring job for 5 years?

Boring jobs suck, I feel for you. I don't have good advise because I ended up quitting jobs that were boring but I know you can't. Are you allowed to listen to music and move around? Sometimes just staying physically active even if its stocking shelves can keep you from climbing the walls. You're not alone though keep your chin up.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 12-19-11, 12:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

I don't look for a hook. Ever been so hungry that you salivate at the stink of a garbage dumpster.? Ever lived in Canada without heat, the cold in the house making you ache constantly? I have. That's my motivation.

Who taught you that you're supposed to like your job? I like you Leo, but you seem to have a strong sense of... Expectation, or something. Privilege. Maybe. No, you buy into the dream of a good, satisfying job, perfect marriage, big house etc etc... Don't you?

Jobs are not for enjoyment, jobs are for the prevention of homelessness. I get out of bed and go to work because what is the alternative? I have no alternative. What's yours? What choice do you have?
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-11, 12:40 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,135 Times in 8,154 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedWitch View Post
Who taught you that you're supposed to like your job? I like you Leo, but you seem to have a strong sense of... Expectation, or something. Privilege. Maybe. No, you buy into the dream of a good, satisfying job, perfect marriage, big house etc etc... Don't you? Jobs are not for enjoyment, jobs are for the prevention of homelessness.
Why shouldn't he? There's nothing wrong with wanting a satisfying job. I'm sorry you've had such difficulty with work, and I've had my share too. Finding a satisfying job when you have ADD is crucial.
LeoJ (12-20-11)
Old 12-19-11, 01:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,459 Times in 581 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to stay at my last job for nine years, and I'd probably stool be there if I hadn't been laid off. For the most part, I stayed out for the insurance, the money, because my ex and I had just bought a house and started a business, and later because they were paying my tuition. Also, I'd grown up with a very strong work ethic from my step father. Everyone was so proud that I'd landed such a good job that I couldn't stand the idea of letting them down again. However, I hatred it. Its only in light of this newjob that I realize exactly how miserable I really was.
anonymouslyadd (12-19-11), LeoJ (12-20-11)
Old 12-21-11, 03:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,479 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

A satisfying job is a luxury most people don't have. Always seek for such a magical unicorn (never stop looking for a better job). But slog through with whatever you can find. A crappy job is something that many people don't have.

As I understand Leo's situation, he has a family to support and wife who may be at the end of her rope. The man needs to buckle down whether he hates the job or not. Life sucks.

(Red spends part of her time freezing her *** off on Parliament Hill and etc with the Occupy movement btw)
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-21-11), LeoJ (12-26-11), msmedieval (12-21-11)
Old 12-21-11, 03:38 AM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedWitch View Post
A satisfying job is a luxury most people don't have. Always seek for such a magical unicorn (never stop looking for a better job). But slog through with whatever you can find. A crappy job is something that many people don't have.
I agree with you, but there are many people out there who can deal with not having a satisfying job. They can handle the boring stuff a lot easier than someone like LeoJ or myself.

Quote:
As I understand Leo's situation, he has a family to support and wife who may be at the end of her rope. The man needs to buckle down whether he hates the job or not. Life sucks.
Good point, but it's also an opportunity for him to learn what he needs in a job. This also means that he can learn what he needs to stay away from in a job. If he doesn't learn what to stay away from, the pattern may continue.

We struggle in multiple domains throughout our lives. I think the major one is school, which requires the most sustained attention. The replication of school in adulthood is work, which is where we spend most of our time. If an ADDer struggles so much in school, what do you think his work life will be like?

I might choose to be homeless over taking a job in manufacturing, where you are doing the same things over and over again.
ADDisme2010 (12-21-11)
Old 12-21-11, 06:19 AM

msmedieval has disabled reputation

I've been in my current job just above 5 years & before I say anything I'd like to mention that I hate it. The reasons / motivations for me to stay:

- I need that paycheck - I need to eat, drink, & have a roof over my head.
- My bosses (although not the most considering) are polite, classy & want to see me do better for my own good.
- I can take my annual leave anytime I need it.
- Health insurance.
- I get to work with some freelances my office hires for high profile projects, I learn a lot from them & they're never boring.
- I'm planning to do my Masters sometime soon & I need to start saving for it.

With that said, this job has got me into so much stress over so many things (that I ended up in the hospital), I've wanted to quit so many times out of frustration & anger only to reconsider once I've cooled down. I'm constantly bored & practically invisible. Again, main reason I'm staying: the money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmedieval For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-21-11), LeoJ (12-26-11)
Old 12-21-11, 06:41 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmedieval View Post
I'm constantly bored.
^^^^^I think this is what stresses us out. I love this quote:

Quote:
Dopamine allows you to feel satisfaction when you eat something tasty or complete a task. In the normally-brained, it kicks in when you do boring crap like housework or taxes. In the ADHD brain, it ... doesn't. Faced with something boring or overwhelming, like housework or homework or taxes, we commonly get anxious and find something more immediately rewarding, like video games.

~AddaptAbilities
When I was in manufacturing, I was doing the same thing over and over again, which was actually appealing at one point. Doing the same thing over and over again made everything worse, and there were many terrible things about this job (ie working with my ex's family, including her tyrant of a father, working among bullies , etc.) on top of many things terrible for me at this job. On one occasion, I had to leave work because of a panic attack.

The boredom that ensued at this job had my mind somewhere else all the time. You need to manage those thoughts on top of having a boss expecting for you to produce. When your distracted brain comes back to the present, you worry about time and how you're going to get things done. Finally, if you can, you stop yourself before your mind gets too out of control. The cycle is never ending and occurs out of boredom.

I think I'd beg on the street over ever going back to that company or that job. That circumstance could have killed me, and if I were still there, I might just have broken into my ex bosses house and beat the daylights out of him.

Life doesn't always have to suck RHW. I refuse to believe this. I know all about suck, because I was raised under its grimy floor.

Last edited by sarek; 12-21-11 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: member req.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
LeoJ (12-26-11), msmedieval (12-28-11)
Old 12-21-11, 04:57 PM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

Luckily my job is not boring. I have to keep up to date with all the latest scientific techniques in my discipline and there is always massive challenges to innovate and pioneer new methods to save time/money and increase reliability. There is always a constant deadline so I don't have time to be bored.
The Following User Says Thank You to KronarTheBlack For This Useful Post:
LeoJ (12-26-11)
Old 12-22-11, 03:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

VelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of lightVelvetTiger is a glorious beacon of light

When it's specific roles and tasks that are boring, I have used music to get me through the day. Have you ever tried Grooveshark.com? No matter what genre of music you like, or even if your musical tastes are all over the map, that site has what you want. You can build your own playlists and save them too. I used to reward myself with listening to my CD player, then my iPod, but when I discovered Grooveshark, the prospect of building all those playlists really got me excited to do even the most hideous of tasks (spreadsheets, budgets, QA). Better yet, the headphones help block out ambient noise, and the beat gives me something to tap to, diffusing both hyperactivity symptoms and inattentive symptoms.

As a longer-term fix, if there is potential social life at the office, I try to get myself involved in it, to organize it if possible. (This did not work at the job I was fired from, as it consisted pretty much entirely of catty 20-something women, but all my other jobs have been more age/gender/personality diverse.) Before I got fired and got so depressed, having those small social rewards were a great incentive to go one more week, then one more month, then before I knew it, I was there another year. The added bonus to this is you get to know your co-workers better and it gives you more incentive to focus, because you don't want to let the team down.

Tasks make up part of a job. But they do not make up all of the job. I have always tried to remind myself that I am voluntarily choosing to be there for multiple reasons: the benefits, the work environment (such as one where I can rock out to music), the people, the experience which gets me to the next step. Believe me, I feel your pain. I have no confidence right now when it comes to my professional life and no one seems to be able to help or know what to say. It's hard because everyone's stumbling blocks are so different, and so are our pain points. But maybe start with these small things I suggested and see if work gets better for you in a couple weeks. If not, therapy and a job coach are probably the next steps.
By the way (by the way
).

–"Sludge Factory"

Magically bored on a quiet street corner
Free frustration in our minds and our toes
Quiet stormwater – my, my, my generation
Uppers and downers, either way blood flows.

–"5'15"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VelvetTiger For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-22-11), LeoJ (12-26-11), msmedieval (12-28-11)