ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-16-13, 10:05 AM
Jr Member

mistermcgoo is on a distinguished road
How long did it take you to get consistent results from Adderall XR?

I've been on XR for a week now and I've noticed that almost everyday has been different. Some days it works great and I reallty benefit from it (though it does raise my anxiety to a degree) and other days it feels like I didn't even take anything. My daily routine (diet, dosage timing etc..) has been fairly consistent. Though, on the days it does work well I notice it wears off in only about 5-6 hours? I emailed my doc with my concerns and he said to give it a full month to see if I still feel the same way. How long has it taken everyone here to achieve consistent results?
Old 04-16-13, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long did it take you to get consistent results from Adderall XR?

Despite the eight hour duration claim by the manufacturer, I get about 6 hours out of XR. From what I've seen here, most people get a duration of about 5-6 hours from XR. Although there are some who have reported 8+ hours. However, that's the exception rather than the case.

With regards to consistency, there are a few things that can possibly impact effectiveness and consistency. Not getting enough sleep or not getting quality sleep and also stress can negatively affect consistency and effectiveness of a medication. One thing I do notice is that if my anxiety level is high or if I'm sleep deprived sometimes it's as if I've not taken any medication.

Adderall does tend to increase anxiety. The Levoamphetamine (l-amp) is responsible for increasing anxiety. When I first started taking it, I would have a period of about 20 minutes or so of anxiety after taking my morning dose. Nothing too terrible, but I was aware of it. This lasted for about a week. I do occasionally experience anxiety but it's not related to Adderall.

As far as achieving consistent results, I didn't have any issues with that. Adderall was consistent from the get-go. Concerta, on the other hand, was extremely inconsistent.

A month is a long time. However, I was on Concerta a month and while some of the side effects subsided, consistency was always an issue and the some side effects never fully went away.

You might want to start keeping a log of side effects, as well as the positive effects the med has on you.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (04-16-13)
Old 04-16-13, 01:07 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,952 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Many people do get less duration than advertised.

Adderall can (to some extent) hide from you the fact that you're tired. If you haven't slept well the night before, then your brain and body won't be able to respond the next day.

Consistent hydration improves the effect; Adderall tends to dehydrate you and you'll need more water than formerly. A steady intake of water throughout the day seems to matter more than it used to, for me - before, I could drink a lot of water at one time and that would "hold me" for a while; now I have to get water more often.

Has your daily routine included a good lunch, even though you may not have really felt like eating it?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-13, 02:42 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Many people do get less duration than advertised.

Adderall can (to some extent) hide from you the fact that you're tired. If you haven't slept well the night before, then your brain and body won't be able to respond the next day.

Consistent hydration improves the effect; Adderall tends to dehydrate you and you'll need more water than formerly. A steady intake of water throughout the day seems to matter more than it used to, for me - before, I could drink a lot of water at one time and that would "hold me" for a while; now I have to get water more often.

Has your daily routine included a good lunch, even though you may not have really felt like eating it?
'

Yes my diet's pretty consistent; 3 full meals with multiple smaller meals in between (I have a fast metabolism lol) and I drink almost 3 litres of water spreadout through the day.

@BR549 - I too noticed that I'll have about 20-30 mins of acute anxiety about an hour and a half after taking it in the morning. It seems like it's been somewhat of a rollercoaster for me so far.. It's like it has a pattern that goes like this: it comes on decently strong 1 hour after taking it, then about 20 mins of anxiety, then about 3-4 hours later it slowly tapers off and I think it's worn off completely around 5-6 hours later, but some days I'll feel a very mild "re-kick' in around the 6th hour and it only lasts for about 45 mins. Seems like there's a lot of ups and downs with this med for me. It just sucks if it's going to be like this for the next 3 weeks until I talk to my doc again, make's work tough some days..
Old 04-17-13, 04:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,272 Times in 13,264 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

It took me nearly 2 years to get settled on dexedrine and a year to get settled on adderall. I took various combos of all xr or ir/xr and I have since settled back on 3 doses of xr. I take the xr 3 times a day just as if it was an ir because the xr gives me 4-5 hours of coverage and the I was only getting 2 out of the ir. Patience is hard, but necessary.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
twinch42085 (04-17-13)
Old 04-17-13, 08:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

sarahsweets could not have said it any better. I personally have concocted (along with my doctors) many combinations that ultimately ended in failure.

With Adderall XR --- Really any stimulant --- It is hard to find the consistency needed, with titration factors, and the many different manufacturers (some of which do not produce quality products (v_v) <--- evil mad face lol.)

It will get better I promise. Dexedrine is good for the the fact that it doesn't contain levo-amphetamine like Adderall does; therefore, anxiety would be less of a factor to have to deal with because of the fewer side effects on the peripheral nervous system and a strong effect on the central nervous system.

Good Luck! (^_^)
The Following User Says Thank You to twinch42085 For This Useful Post:
LaceyM (04-17-13)
Old 04-17-13, 08:47 AM
Jr Member

LaceyM is on a distinguished road

For myself, when I started loooong ago. I felt consistency right away.

As time went by, my tolerance was building, so eventually I worked up to what I am at now.

It all depends on the person, just like for anything else, but for me I stayed consistent for so long until I realized I wasn't getting the same results I was a couple months or so earlier.
Old 04-17-13, 10:10 AM
Forum ADDvocate

MellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of lightMellyFishButt is a glorious beacon of light

A couple months. The first month I titrated around a bit and then the second month realized that titrating up gave me too much anxiety so I went back down to my original 10xr. I now take it upon waking (7) and then take 2.5 ir around 11 and another 2.5 ir around 2. It works perfectly....except I have no evening coverage but I would rather have no coverage than be 'stiff' in the evenings when I am supposed to have quality time with my husband.

...DX: ADHD-C, GAD, Major Depression, PD
...RX: Adderall XR, Lexapro, Valium, Vit D, Fish Oil, MultiVit, Vit B
Old 04-17-13, 07:39 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for all the awesome and informative responses guys, really appreciate it! Unfortunately, today was by far the worst day I've had so. Still had a consistent daily regiment, however today I was a nervous/anxious mess all day since within the first hour taken it. It was a truly horrific day.. I'm feeling at wits ends already and it's only been a week! I'm honestly considering switching to Vyvanse which I've heard has much less anxiety related side effects. Either that or trying an SSRI or something like that. I do have a script for Alprazolam as needed but I really prefer to keep my Benzo use to a minimum. In the back of my mind I can help but wonder if the fact that I'm taking the Actavis brand has anything to do with it, but I also have ever taken any other brand so I have no basis for comparison..