ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 02-01-18, 12:09 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,648 Times in 14,609 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My research on medication specific to ADHD-PI

Quote:
In modern medicine there's no way you would be satisfied with "fever" as your diagnosis, fever is a symptom of something being wrong (ie a virus, bacterial infection, malaria...). In psychiatry however, we are content with diagnosis based on outward symptoms, such as ADHD. ADHD is just a collection of symptoms; not a diagnosis based on the cause. Of course ADHD and anything involving the brain is far more complex than a fever and it's causes, all current research leads to a combination of multiple gene mutations being the cause.
I think this is because symptoms of any mental disorder are subjective. You have to rely on a patients' reporting of symptoms and their response to medication. I think Psyche docs get a bad rep sometimes because there are cases of misdiagnosis- but its so hard to get it right the first time.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-09-18)
Old 02-01-18, 12:12 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
Well, there's always a catch.

Subjects with ADHD-RI had a significantly different neuropsychological profile compared with the other groups, including lower psychomotor speeds, longer reaction times and the worst overall performance in the global neurocognitive index. The proportion of subjects with the presence of DRD4-7 repeat allele was significantly higher in ADHD-RI
- sounds like SCT to me.
Do you mean adhd-pi? (it says RI so I was checking). If so what is RI?

I carried a watermelon?
namazu (02-01-18)
Old 02-01-18, 12:14 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluppets View Post
Yes, diving into the genetic level can be
There is a danger of making leaps in reasoning that are wrong, true, but if we don't speak our minds in fear of being wrong, the discussion falls flat and leaves the terrain wide open for charlatans with bad/selfish intentions.
Discussion is fine, its when something is presented as fact-usually with very technical language thats hard to weed through-that i take issue with it.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-18, 12:16 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Science is all about making guesses!

...And then holding them up to the light to see if they still look as good as we thought.

...And if we end up being wrong in some way, which we usually are! -- acknowledging it, learning something, and making new and (hopefully) better guesses.

Keep right on guessing!
I look at science this way: Come up with a theory-then do everything in your power, every sort of test, research etc to prove it wrong. If it cant be proven wrong then I would lean towards it being more than a theory and closer to fact.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-01-18, 01:02 PM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you mean adhd-pi? (it says RI so I was checking). If so what is RI?
Its a term used in one of the papers linked earlier "restricted innatentive", or just innatentive with little to no hyperactivity.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
The Following User Says Thank You to Fluppets For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-01-18)
Old 02-01-18, 01:07 PM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I look at science this way: Come up with a theory-then do everything in your power, every sort of test, research etc to prove it wrong. If it cant be proven wrong then I would lean towards it being more than a theory and closer to fact.
Oh yeah you're right. Almost all of the technical mumbo jumbo i write is theory, but I always link or quote my scientific references. I am prepared to be my own guinnea pig though, speaking of which i am at this moment late for my doctors appointment ive been looking forward to passed weeks... honestly not my fault, my boss kept me busy...
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
Old 07-03-18, 09:10 PM

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

So we're just basically being treated like guinea pigs.
Oh, look! These in the first cage are on compound X and one of them is already acting much more focussed and is getting through the maze fairly quickly! I'm so excited!
Old 07-09-18, 07:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
So we're just basically being treated like guinea pigs.
Oh, look! These in the first cage are on compound X and one of them is already acting much more focussed and is getting through the maze fairly quickly! I'm so excited!
Do you mean "we" as us on the forums or "we" as in the collective "we" in general as it pertains to the medical community?

I carried a watermelon?
ToneTone (07-23-18)
Old 07-09-18, 04:37 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Do you want to have people invest time and money into finding at least things that minimize the symptoms and give us the ability to function or forget the science and go along as you are.

You may be perfectly fine but many have debilitating symptoms. Without my medications I'm dead. Plain and simple.

And I've been part of actual drug trials.

I say go ahead, let them continue because my brain isn't going to fix itself. If you can function without them go right ahead. I'll take being alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (07-23-18)
Old 07-23-18, 02:40 PM
Jr Member

warmbrew_991 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Just a heads-up:

Only a minority of people with predominantly inattentive ADHD (even the "restrictive inattentive" presentation with no hyperactive/impulsive symptoms to speak of) have any 7R DRD4 allele variant.

(...Like maybe 8-25%. according to one paper -- where 15% of "typically developing" people also had the 7R variant. Paywalled paper, unfortunately -- hit me up if you want to discuss further.)

Thus, it's a pretty big stretch to claim that "This is the fundamental anomaly found in ADD-patiŽnts."

It may be relevant to a small subset of people with inattentive symptoms -- the 7R variant was more common in people with the "restrictive inattentive" presentation than in typically-developing or ADHD-C or ADHD-PI populations, at least in that one study with relatively small samples (50-100 people each group). But it's still not directly relevant to the vast majority of people with ADHD-PI (traditional or "restrictive" criteria).

Overall, it seems that the bigger picture is more complex. (Isn't it always?)

On a personal note, I've taken clonidine, and it seemed to help much more with physical restlessness and impulsive/compulsive behaviors than with any of the "inattentive" symptoms. It has traditionally been prescribed primarily to help people whose ADHD is accompanied by impulsivity, aggression, tics, and sleep problems. It can also cause sedation and low blood pressure in some people (though I didn't have this problem), which is probably not what someone who already struggles with alertness would be looking for! Then again, people respond differently to medications, and perhaps it wouldn't have those effects on you.
For me, Strattera is the same, less impulsivity and restlessness as well as improved mood and reduced anxiety. But it has a negligible effect for my inattentiveness.
The Following User Says Thank You to warmbrew_991 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-05-18)