ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-10-04, 01:52 AM
Jr Member

Add1234 is on a distinguished road
Advice please

Hello to all. I am a 24 year old male with a four year old son. I am currently still with his mother and we’re doing fine. I come to you today for sound advice. Basically I’ve held jobs before and just walked out within four days of being there just because I felt that I couldn’t stay there any longer. I just went on my break and got in my car and drove off. At my previous job I worked at a bank’s call center. I made it all the way through the entire training process which was roughly three months. Basically when I was put on the floor I lasted roughly not even two weeks before quitting. Again, I just had this very very strong urge to quit because I felt stressed out. I got back from my break, spoke to my supervisor and let her know that I was quitting because I could not work there under the pressure and stress that this job was giving me. Although I think I used stress as a crutch and I don’t think I quit that job all due to stress. At that time I was getting paid rather measly. Fast forward to my current situation/job. I was hired to be “customer service” for an ISP. I’ll be giving help to everyone who calls in about general questions and concerns. Right now I am in training and today I felt like I wanted to quit. The thing is I’m getting paid $15.00 an hour starting + insane benefits which are all being paid for. I want to know if anyone else has felt this way. I also want to know if this passes and I will eventually get used to my current job. I have been jobless since May and my girlfriend has been paying for most of the bills. I had some money here and there and I sold most of my personal belongings as well as computer and photography equipment to make ends meet. I want to stay at this job but during the day sometimes I just have this urge to quit. I know I have to stick it out as my son depends on me. I really wish I knew what to do but I don’t. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Add1234 For This Useful Post:
Jenn1202 (11-28-16), salleh (10-07-16)
Old 09-10-04, 02:04 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I'd give you the answer to this one if I knew it myself...
Old 09-10-04, 04:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
I think the hardest part and why ya feel tendency to quit is maybe you are not doing something that you love and it completely boring.....I been there too many times...I feel like I need something where I can be creative and less stressful..I know there has to be trades out there that a person can work from home.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draga For This Useful Post:
introSPECTor101 (07-15-08), JackieofSpades (10-06-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-04, 05:05 AM

Garry has disabled reputation
I am working as s garbage man right now and I get that feeling every single day.....

I have 17 years experence in computer repair, 10 years experence in Quality Control,

all my life experence in constuction, ripping apart houses and rebuilding them

and I have my AZ licence (Big Truck)

I can have a new job in any of those areas just by picking up my phone and making one call and I could start work the next day

Quote:
I want to stay at this job but during the day sometimes I just have this urge to quit. I know I have to stick it out as my son depends on me.
Sometimes you do something you dont want to do as the "BENIFITS" outweigh the emotional feeling that "sneaks up and catches" you and you dont know "where it came from or why"

You have come to the most crucial stage and that is the "RECOGNITION", of the problem, and now you have to figure out a "Coping Solution"........

Mine is real easy

When I get that feeling , I just think about all the fun I am having driving the truck and nobody bothering me as I work all alone and nobody bothers the Garbage Man.

I also think about all the crap you have to go through when you quit a job and start a new one (telling the old boss)(retraining for the way the new company does there stuff)

and then I go back to being happy driving my truck

Nobody can give you advise as to whether to quit or not , but we can help you to see that you have most of the situation figured out

A. you need the Job as you Boy depends on you
B. The pay and benifits seam really good
C. You have allready done the training part
D. You
E. Fill
F. in
G. The
H. Rest of the good reasons

Then take the time each time the feeling hits to think of the good reasons to not quit

Recognition of any problem is the KEY to finding the solution

Check out this poem

The Station

Also check this link

5 Stages of ADD

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Last edited by Garry; 09-10-04 at 05:14 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry For This Useful Post:
salleh (10-07-16)
Old 09-10-04, 09:52 AM

WhatDistraction is on a distinguished road
I agree with Garry; it sounds like you know the answer. Unfortunately, you'll have to work hard at staying at work. (I'll probably lose rep. points for this, but to paraphase the "pre-emminent modern philosopher" Dr. Phil McGraw: "Sometimes you make the right decision, sometimes you make the decision right.")

While you do have a duty to be true to yourself, that duty is in large part superceded by your duty to your son.

Garry's A and B points are dead on. You can fill in the rest to your heart's content. And he's right: you've taken a huge step because you recognize there is an issue.

The job may work out really well for you, too. The 'daily grind' of taking calls might wear on you, but:
  1. Each call is different. Even though many of the problems may be the same, they will be with different people with different personalities.
  2. Each call should be relatively short. Should be less opportunity for you to get bored with the current call.
You mention it's general Q&A type stuff right now. I don't know how big this ISP is or how their Customer Service organization is structured, but that sounds like Tier 1 support. If you do well, there may be opportunites to move to the next Tiers, solving more complicated issues.

Like Garry said, everytime the quitting urge comes up, think about the hassles involved with getting a new job and the not-insignificant benefits of the job you have.

Good luck!

"Get the shotgun, Martha. The heard needs a-thinnin' " -- "Get Fuzzy" by
Darby Conley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhatDistraction For This Useful Post:
DJ Bill (09-01-16), salleh (10-07-16)
Old 09-10-04, 11:33 AM

Dsherman is on a distinguished road
I also do computer tech support over the phone. It is aggrivateing at times. And I think you already know what you need to do. just remember the Mute button is your friend . When I find myself getting really frusterated I would pause the phone or put the person on mute and try and relax. I have pictures of my family all around me at my desk that helps me deal with things. Also have favorite things around. take walks at lunch and try to relax(I know it's harder then it sounds).

Last edited by Andrew; 09-10-04 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: e-mail address removed by ADMIN. Please review Forum Guidelines.
Old 09-10-04, 12:53 PM

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
Yeah, I think that in order for you to resist the temptation to leave, you have to find some kind of personal excitement at your job.....and it has to become a part of who you are, not just something that's a bother to you on a day to day basis....

Of course, all of this is for you to discover on your own as each person is different.....
Just my 2 centosssssss...
salleh (10-07-16)
Old 09-11-04, 12:03 AM
Jr Member

Add1234 is on a distinguished road
Please guys just pray for me that I am able to stick it out. The pay is amazing so it's worth it. Please just pray that I snap out of this.
Old 09-12-04, 10:31 PM

hypergeek is on a distinguished road
i use to have a hard time with steady work to. sometimes you just have to deal with the stress in order to get bills paid. ive been at my current job for over 15 years now, and i went through about 20 jobs in the few years before that. you will find your niche dude. Godpseed.
The Following User Says Thank You to hypergeek For This Useful Post:
salleh (10-07-16)
Old 09-13-04, 12:21 AM
Contributor

Stranger is on a distinguished road
You don't say if you're on any medication--some medicines make that feeling go away, or at least make it easier to ignore, because you are better able to focus on the job at hand, instead of sitting there thinking how you gotta get out of here...
The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:
salleh (10-07-16)
Old 09-23-04, 12:21 AM
Jr Member

MisterMan1976 is on a distinguished road
UHhh yeh', This is me! I think w/ me it just came down to one thing,"Resonsibility!" After quitting my last job I knew that I could no longer blame it on my disorder. My reputation was on the line, and I felt the pressure of everything that I had worked so hard for being thrown away. Finally, I was forced to take responsibilty. Also, try to get involved, it helped as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterMan1976 For This Useful Post:
salleh (10-07-16)
Old 09-24-04, 01:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

P_Stampy is on a distinguished road
one help desk job i wanted to quit after 2 days.. but i stuck at it.... ended up being there for 2.5 yrs
Old 09-01-16, 07:32 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1234 View Post
Hello to all. I am a 24 year old male with a four year old son. I am currently still with his mother and we’re doing fine. I come to you today for sound advice. Basically I’ve held jobs before and just walked out within four days of being there just because I felt that I couldn’t stay there any longer. I just went on my break and got in my car and drove off. At my previous job I worked at a bank’s call center. I made it all the way through the entire training process which was roughly three months. Basically when I was put on the floor I lasted roughly not even two weeks before quitting. Again, I just had this very very strong urge to quit because I felt stressed out. I got back from my break, spoke to my supervisor and let her know that I was quitting because I could not work there under the pressure and stress that this job was giving me. Although I think I used stress as a crutch and I don’t think I quit that job all due to stress. At that time I was getting paid rather measly. Fast forward to my current situation/job. I was hired to be “customer service” for an ISP. I’ll be giving help to everyone who calls in about general questions and concerns. Right now I am in training and today I felt like I wanted to quit. The thing is I’m getting paid $15.00 an hour starting + insane benefits which are all being paid for. I want to know if anyone else has felt this way. I also want to know if this passes and I will eventually get used to my current job. I have been jobless since May and my girlfriend has been paying for most of the bills. I had some money here and there and I sold most of my personal belongings as well as computer and photography equipment to make ends meet. I want to stay at this job but during the day sometimes I just have this urge to quit. I know I have to stick it out as my son depends on me. I really wish I knew what to do but I don’t. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
You better just quit right now then because they're offering great benefits obviously because of it's particular high turn around rate. Working at call centers is EXTREMELY stressful and if you quit previously after just being there for less than a week I would seriously consider switching careers. Years ago I worked at a call center where you were considered to have seniority after 6 months and I lasted there for 3 years before I quit.

Just something to consider because $15 an hr means nothing if you're going from job from job, you might as well get paid minimum wage if you know what I mean.
Old 09-01-16, 08:01 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: adult with ADD having trouble staying at a job for very long

Holy 12-year-old necrothread!
Old 10-06-16, 03:23 AM

unpsychable is on a distinguished road
Re: adult with ADD having trouble staying at a job for very long

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Holy 12-year-old necrothread!
Interestingly, this necrothread is the reason I signed up. This is exactly what I deal with. I am in my new job for only 3 months but my urge to quit is too powerful. I am resisting that urge as much as possible. I know the problems with my current employer are not reasonable enough to quit

I am, however, curious to know Garry's current job since it's been 12 years!
The Following User Says Thank You to unpsychable For This Useful Post:
NickL30 (10-06-16)