ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about work
Work?! What do you think I am looking for?! 23 17.97%
Hee Hee... Can you say retired? 6 4.69%
Love my work - potential Workaholic here. 33 25.78%
Bores me to tears, I want a new job 15 11.72%
Its ok, at least it pays the bills. 28 21.88%
At work, I am coming close to being postal! 23 17.97%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-03, 01:49 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Keppig has disabled reputation
Adults with ADD, how do you feel about work?

I was curious, How do you feel about work? Personally, I could be a workaholic for I love the feeling like I making a difference. To complete a project and see the results is like magic.

Last edited by Keppig; 11-25-03 at 01:55 AM..
Old 11-25-03, 04:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,106 Times in 2,226 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, if it was just the work that I had to do I'd be fine. Unfortunately when you go to work you have to deal with people and they are mainly normal people and I get fed up with being misunderstood or ignored when I need help or snapped at etc...
I didn't go to work this week - I've been so grumpy that I thought I'd end up hitting the next person that p*ssed me off. Thankfully I still get paid coz of the workers comp.
Old 11-25-03, 05:46 AM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
I do love my job as I'm a programmer and not only is that flexible in itself but I'm working in 3 totally different areas as well (web design/programming, datbase design and internal software design) as well as doing a bit of user support here and there (they like me to sort stuff out because I don't throw IT terms around like the tech support guys ).

I love to be busy and I love how I CAN and in fact HAVE TO work on several projects at once, although I still manage to get bored, freeze, have brain fog or totally forget to continue work on a project unless I am constantly reminded.

I do NEED the routine of getting up and having to go to work though, without that I find it extremely hard to get going. But yeah if I was more able to concentrate, could keep uo with it all day (instead of slumping after lunch at the latest) and stick with a project for longer then I'd be the perfect workaholic.

As things stand at the moment, I have to escape at 4:30 most evenings because I just can't take any more and my brain is fried. if I had to work part-time I'd chose mornings though because even though I'd love to be able to sleep in more often I just know I would never get going or get anything done in the house, just laze about and procastrinate at home until it's time to go to work. The other way round at least I kind of have some drive left when I get home

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-03, 10:17 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
I have hated every job I have ever had... eventually. The only diference was how long it took me to hate the job.

I want to go back and work at the bookstore again. But I am afraid that I will hate it after a while too...
Old 12-15-03, 03:13 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
I do love my job now, but I wouldn't use the word workaholic, as I enjoy my time off. I take care of people with Alzheimer's and other dimentias. It is just a weekend job, for now as I have more important things to do at home. It pays for kids school.

It is good for me because there is tons of movement involved and I'm not confined to a desk or cube.

There is some documentation to be done on medications; this is relatively small, but important. I have little ways of not getting distracted when assisting with medications. If I have to count meds, I will bring them someplace quiet so I don't keep losing count and we all carry cordless phones for any emergencies.

I wear a fanny pack that looks like a fuzzy duck. I said duck. So I don't misplace keys, pens or gloves. My duck makes the residents laugh. I said duck.
Old 12-15-03, 03:32 PM

biker is on a distinguished road
My job is okay. I have worked for the same company for 15yrs in January. Hard to beleive. I was a phlebotomist and now I am the supervisor of the department I started in. I struggle with paperwork everyday. I keep thinking I will be fired, but have not yet. I have a hard time finishing what I start. I must be doing something right bcause my reviews have been good. By the end of the day my brain is zapped. I have to work really hard to do things others do easily.
Old 12-15-03, 03:36 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Can you delegate stuff, Jim? Thats what good managers do, right?
Old 12-15-03, 03:45 PM

Flakey girl,
I am starting to try. That is one thing I am horrible at. I feel like I am doing a lousy job if I do not finish everything. I have gone trough 3 assistant supervisors. 2 have quit and I had to fire the last one. Now there is a job freeze so I am without an assistant for a while. I have also made the mistake of being to nice to my crew and some have take advantage of me. My supervisor now has been very helpful. We go over a list of things I need to get done each week. I still wait till the last couple of day to do things.
Well back to answering the question. I am delegating more each week.
Old 12-15-03, 03:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Good. It will get better. As long as your supervisor is supporting you, and it sounds like that is happening, you will be successful.
Old 12-15-03, 03:50 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Good. It will get better. As long as your supervisor is supporting you, and it sounds like that is happening, you will be successful. It sounds like your company recognized and appreciates your loyalty. Fifteen years, is that some kind of ADD record? Alert Gunness!
Old 12-15-03, 04:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by FlakeyGirl
I wear a fanny pack that looks like a fuzzy duck. I said duck. So I don't misplace keys, pens or gloves. My duck makes the residents laugh. I said duck.
Your fanny pack looks like a WHAT??!!!

I'm not working right now, and probably won't for awhile longer. Later on, I'd be OK with working part-time. Having a routine and having to get ready early in the morning does help keep me on-track. But man, I hated my last job. The bad relationship with the boss and the very un-ADD-friendly-workplace just sucked the life out of me. I'm in no hurry to get back into the rat race, and when I do, I'm going to be very selective about what I take.

The flipside is that I'm not particularly good at the stay-at-home mom role either. I'm just making things up as I go along....
Old 12-15-03, 05:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

My industry/workplace is very ADD-friendly in my opinion. It is not nose friendly. Not for the squeamish. I highly recommend it.

I bet you are good at it, Krisp. Don't let 'em fool ya. We ALL make it up as we go along.
Old 12-15-03, 05:10 PM

Thanks flakey,
I was lucky in that when I first became a phlebtomist I loved it. I t was easy to stay with. Being a supervisor has it ups and downs.

Thats great you work with Alzhiemers patients! My mom has Alzheimers. She and my father are in assisted living. My mom is slowly getting worse. She can still dress herself and recognize close family members. Her short term memory it pretty much gone.
Old 12-15-03, 07:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

^sorry to hear about your mom. My short term memory is not so great either, thats part of why I like it so much!

It sounds like she is hitting the hard part. She knows something is wrong and is frustrated, right? Maybe she is a little past that part. It gets better for them. Was your dad having a hard time taking care of her with the medicine and all? It is so nice when couples can age in place together. Do you like the facility? Some are definitely better than others and for the most part you get what you pay for. Ooops, off topic. PM me if you want.
Old 01-07-04, 02:38 AM
Contributor

SubtleMuttle is on a distinguished road
Fortunately (don't hate me!) I made what I think is a good, albeit risky, decision: I quit working to go to school, and live on the edge on what LITTLE is left over from my grants and loans. I am working hard to earn scholarships (crosses fingers)

But I selected POSTAL because the jobs I had I HATED and was miserble all the time from them. I had severe migraines about three times a week and stomache cramps from stress! I took what I could get; customer service positions. And dealing with customers and co-workers was really tough. Especially when I served tables (don't you hate forgetful waitresses!), and worked in retail