ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 10-01-17, 06:51 PM

sammiboo8 is on a distinguished road
ADHD Medication & Romantic Interest

Hello!
I am a 20 year old female and I have been diagnosed with and medicated for ADHD since I was 6. Since I was 15 I have taken vyvanse. I try to only take it 5 days of the week and then not at all during vacations/breaks. I am much more social off the medication than I am on the medication, however I still enjoy talking to friends and family. But recently I have started to realize that my medication has a very strong impact on my romantic and sexual drive. While my sex drive is decreased I can still have fun with it (making that less of a concern). I am even more concerned though about my general romantic interest. I have dated few people but when I do, the relationship has always started during a period of time when I have not taken my medication for a while and I typically experienced a decrease in romantic interest in them when I would be on my medication (but it was never the reason a relationship ended). I just really have noticed that once I haven't taken medication for a couple of days that I become intrigued by the idea of finding someone to date and actually find myself developing actual attractions to people; but that all pretty much goes away when I take my medication again. I am getting worried about this since I really depend on my medication for academic success but it also really seems to hinder my possibilities of starting romantic relationships with anyone. Does anyone experience this issue and/or have any advice on it?
Thanks,
Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to sammiboo8 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (10-16-17)
Old 10-01-17, 11:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,959 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Medication & Romantic Interest

If you don't feel like getting romantically involved with someone while on the medication, then I wouldn't worry about it. It's not something you have to do.
Don't do something for the sake of doing it, unless you really feel like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-01-17)
Old 10-02-17, 07:36 AM

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,948 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, I started on methylphenidate and that made me a little ambivalent, inward, antisocial. I don't know if that's a side effect of vyvanse though. I switched cuz it was not subtle at all, not a good effect.

Are you on birth control? I have these symptoms a little bit with my birth control, I notice because of the different times of the month where I have more or less hormones...I mean I think that can happen naturally, but it's a little more exaggerated with BC. anyways I did try other kinds but they were hooorrible so I went back to what I was on. But maybe talk to your doc/prescriber and see if they have suggestions. Might be - like with my BC - just something you have to shrug and go "but it's better than the other options", or maybe something else would work.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 06:44 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,045 Times in 14,226 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

medication that alters your core personality negatively, like whether you can form relationships with people is the wrong medication.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-13-17, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,188 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, on Vyvanse, my brain sorta wanted technical tasks to complete and I was pretty antisocial.

I'm not sure Vyvanse was 100 percent the problem. I think it simply added a push towards my natural loner tendences.

Anyway, my provider eventually shifted me to Adderall XR. And I'm much more social and relaxed on Adderall than I was on Vyvanse.

Of course: Your Mileage May Vary.

Tone