ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-18, 07:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,227 Times in 5,483 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
self medicating

I'm back and forth on this term and if its just an excuse. I'll be careful to not break forum rules, so edit as needed

i had an addiction issue for about 3 years in my 20s, cocaine. My doctor said i was self medicating, but its hard to justify. I got wasted on the stuff every time. medication is to function normally right? i wasnt

But if you use a substance in small amounts throughout the day to function and it works (wont get into what and I personally dont right now) I guess thats kind of self medicating right?

guess i was just curious about the term and true meaning, and really if its the case what addicts arent self medicating , who would use enough to ruin your life without it doing something positive right.
Little Missy (05-27-18), peripatetic (05-30-18)
Old 05-26-18, 08:38 PM

Thanked 21,212 Times in 11,360 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: self medicating

I dislike the term 'self-medicating', but I began that very young.
Had to.
I never knew or thought about ADHD until I was prescribed the medication.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-26-18)
Old 05-27-18, 12:59 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

There is a distinction. You can tell based on the purpose of the drug use.

A person who is self-medicating behaves a lot differently from someone who is merely trying to get high. The former group takes reasonable, therapeutic dosages in order to relieve ADHD symptoms. The latter group takes insanely high dosages via routes of administration that rapidly deliver the drug to the brain.

If you're being honest with yourself, it should be pretty easy for you to figure out which group you belong to.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-18, 02:34 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,470 Times in 7,206 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

You know...for as long as I've been here, you'd think I knew what the forum rules were when it comes to talking about drug use on the open forums. I'm too lazy to go look >.<'.

I too did cocaine in my early/mid 20's. And pot. Though I liked the cocaine...pot made me VERY paranoid. I had all the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia on it. I'm glad...it helped me get out of that life style.

Now I've been hanging out with an older lady quite a bit lately...her and I are making quick friends! But she's been smoking pot on a daily basis for what she claims is about 48 years. She's also a part of a group I'm in, and she's been very open and honest about the fact.
And she smokes all day long. She carries her pipe with her everywhere. She doesn't do so in front of me...even though I told her she could do so if she wanted (as long as she doesn't ask me to do it with her).

I don't consider her a druggy or an abuser. Even though...yeah...she is using an illegal (in my state) drug.
But I don't think she's doing it for the high anymore at this point. I do think she's addicted (she admits to knowing as well)...but she's had a hell of a life and until recently had never been treated for mental health reasons. I think she's used pot for most these years to self-medicate. And now I think it's more of a habit then anything for her...but still, I think it's self medicating still to this day.
She didn't have treatments or medications to help her through the horrors she's been through. And she's been through hell. Many times. She had very few things to lean on...and she found that pot calmed her...and so she used that. One of the few things she knew helped even just a small amount.

I can be pretty judgmental towards those who abuse drugs. I can be a real snob sometimes. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

But I don't judge her or a lot of people that turn to pot as adults for a little extra help.

Sorry for the long post man.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 04:18 AM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
There is a distinction. You can tell based on the purpose of the drug use.

A person who is self-medicating behaves a lot differently from someone who is merely trying to get high. The former group takes reasonable, therapeutic dosages in order to relieve ADHD symptoms. The latter group takes insanely high dosages via routes of administration that rapidly deliver the drug to the brain.

If you're being honest with yourself, it should be pretty easy for you to figure out which group you belong to.
Well I guess what I was thinking is Does the distinction matter. Using an illegal drug is what it is. And youíll become addicted either way
Little Missy (05-27-18), psychopathetic (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 05:23 AM

Thanked 6,472 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately for me, i've managed to keep myself away from illicit substances. I take almost every supplement under the sun however, including Caffeine Pills and CBD tea and oils. Recently started up smoking again, but trying to stop for about the billionth time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-27-18), Little Missy (05-27-18), psychopathetic (05-27-18), tudorose (05-28-18)
Old 05-27-18, 05:28 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
Well I guess what I was thinking is Does the distinction matter. Using an illegal drug is what it is. And youíll become addicted either way

True, but then again you can easily get addicted to Alcohol, to Tobacco and to prescription medications. But that's perfectly ok in the eyes of the law, as long as the tax money is being raked in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-27-18), Little Missy (05-27-18), psychopathetic (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
True, but then again you can easily get addicted to Alcohol, to Tobacco and to prescription medications. But that's perfectly ok in the eyes of the law, as long as the tax money is being raked in.
For sure bud, I have very strong feelings on that

Different discussion altogether though. Lol.
Fraser_0762 (05-27-18), Little Missy (05-27-18), psychopathetic (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 09:36 AM

Thanked 25,592 Times in 11,928 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Quote:
For sure bud, I have very strong feelings on that

Different discussion altogether though. Lol.
I think it's part of this discussion.

I'm pretty sure my maternal grandfather had a mental disorder

(probably adhd or autism) and he was an alcoholic.

I'd be willing to bet that he started drinking to self-medicate.

I'm willing to bet that he didn't start because he wanted to be an addict.

I've known several smokers including my ex

who freely admitted that they did it handle stress (self-medicating).

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I think it's part of this discussion.

I'm pretty sure my maternal grandfather had a mental disorder

(probably adhd or autism) and he was an alcoholic.

I'd be willing to bet that he started drinking to self-medicate.

I'm willing to bet that he didn't start because he wanted to be an addict.

I've known several smokers including my ex

who freely admitted that they did it handle stress (self-medicating).
Thatís true

I had legality issues in mind when I said that. Figured it would fall under politics or some other sensitive topic
Lunacie (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 10:00 AM

Every topic is sensitive. They'll always be somebody who tries to approach whatever you say from a sensitive angle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-27-18), tudorose (05-28-18)
Old 05-27-18, 10:01 AM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I did it so that I could work. I figured that out pretty fast.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
daveddd (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I did it so that I could work. I figured that out pretty fast.
Yea. A lot of people do

Honestly I doubt some people do it just to mess up their life
Old 05-27-18, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yea. A lot of people do

Honestly I doubt some people do it just to mess up their life
At 14 I worked full-time all summer. During High School I got out at 1 and worked 3-11 at a Party Store.

I was responsible and dependable.

daveddd (05-27-18)
Old 05-27-18, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
At 14 I worked full-time all summer. During High School I got out at 1 and worked 3-11 at a Party Store.

I was responsible and dependable.
Me also. Landscaped summers starting at 14.

Had to study halls to end the day in high school so I went to Best Buy and installed car radios from like 2-10
Little Missy (05-27-18), psychopathetic (05-27-18)