ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-10, 09:22 PM
Jr Member

TheSinfulOne will become famous soon enough
Re: Asperger's Disorder Symptoms

I think it's a silly idea to seek a diagnosis online.
Old 05-11-10, 07:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSinfulOne View Post
I think it's a silly idea to seek a diagnosis online.
well..all I have atm- went to the doctors a few weeks ago and did not recieve a diagnosis, nor an attempt to diagnose despite my asking them to do atleast look into it.
Old 05-12-10, 04:04 PM
Jr Member

TheSinfulOne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveandletdie View Post
well..all I have atm- went to the doctors a few weeks ago and did not recieve a diagnosis, nor an attempt to diagnose despite my asking them to do atleast look into it.
I think it's more difficult for someone with Asperger's to diagnose themselves, because a lot of us feel normal but to other people, we seem odd. I, for one, found it difficult to recognize that I have Asperger's, even though everyone kept telling me that I have it, because it's hard for me to perceive how I come across to others. I got tired of this doubt and went for an official diagnosis. And even now that I got it professionally confirmed, I'm still just a tiny bit doubtful because I want solid proof. Like a brain scan or something.
doiadhd (05-12-10), weareacc (05-12-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-10, 04:17 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Quote:
I think it's more difficult for someone with Asperger's to diagnose themselves, because a lot of us feel normal but to other people, we seem odd. I, for one, found it difficult to recognize that I have Asperger's, even though everyone kept telling me that I have it, because it's hard for me to perceive how I come across to others. I got tired of this doubt and went for an official diagnosis. And even now that I got it professionally confirmed, I'm still just a tiny bit doubtful because I want solid proof. Like a brain scan or something.
I feel exactly like this. People have been telling me i'm weird all my life but I just thought it was teasing (thanks mum!) - but now the docs are saying possible Aspie/PDD-NOS everyone says "you can't have Asperger's - your'e too cool"! erk...
doiadhd (05-12-10)
Old 06-30-10, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

ADD-I and Asperger's are so similar that you'll probably never know. I just say I'm co-morbid.

I think ADD-I affects me physically and mentally i.e low energy, failure to remember a lot of information at once, poor concentration, etc.

Asperger's shapes my personality i.e logical, memory for facts, aversion to change, routine oriented, technical way of speaking and very narrow interests. It's still neurological in origin, not a personality disorder.

With ADD-I I get into a lot of interests but with Asperger's I get extremely obsessional about one over a period of weeks, months, years. It's all I care about and it's constantly on my mind. I bring it up in conversations and everything I hear or see can remind me of it. Just watch how many times in this forum I mention physics or Doctor Who.

I have poor motor skills too. Not just clumsiness. I have both poor fine and gross motor skills. It even affects my speech. They could be related to either ADD-I or Asperger's. Could even be mild dyspraxia but then again dyspraxia is so very similar to ADD and AS - it's more than poor motor skills.

Sensory issues and synesthesia are more common in AS but can be apart of ADD as well.

People with AS can benefit from stimulants too but they do become much more obsessional and withdrawn socially.
Also, on medication I still don't get body language. Lie to Me has helped with reading face expressions but the arms, legs, body posture makes no sense to me.
On meds I feel like I only have Asperger's syndrome and I embrace it, just without sensory issues.

Recent study has also found that autism is caused by a copy of and deletion of genes. This happens in non-autistics too but in autism the deleted genes are the original ones. When I learnt this it made more sense why I was I very artistic, but logical, not great at math and have very bad communication skills.
Whatever is making me artistic may be that I have a lot of these genes because they were duplicated and where I lack skills I can only guess that these genes were deleted - not completely deleted but enough to cause a dysfunction.
Does that make sense?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Dolorem Ipsum (06-11-13), drew59 (11-09-10), Imnapl (11-09-10), Kay. (10-21-10), xHopesUpHigh (04-20-12)
Old 11-09-10, 02:55 AM
Jr Member

drew59 is on a distinguished road

My mother once mentioned that she thought Dad had Asperger's. I guess as my therapy progresses, i.e. depression first, then ADHD issues, then if there is co-morbidity with AS then perhaps it will be easier to identify.
Drew
The Following User Says Thank You to drew59 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (11-10-10)
Old 11-10-10, 09:23 AM

fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I disagree. People with Asperger's will research the symptoms to death until they are certain that they have it.
My mum actually said I may have it and it took me 8 months to be be convinced and now I can look in the mirror and just see it.
I was diagnosed twice; first time over 4 months (for some reason it wasn't official) and the second one was a 1 hour session. And so called professionals can misdiagnose so they don't always know everything. I got diagnosed with severe depression once and I wasn't even mildly depressed.
And I feel normal until I have to go outside. So we know just how different we are.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (11-10-10)
Old 11-18-10, 04:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

Nickis2legit will become famous soon enough

Well basically every symptom fits me, I just don't get it I've seen how some kids at my highschool who have AS and know they have it but they act a certain way like they couldn't control it in class also having no friends. I remember being very social during grade school being able to make new friends and connect with them. I had a lot of friends in middle school too, for the first 2 years of HS I would always try to make new friends and was very social now I just hang around one group of kids mostly we're all pretty normal in the social world. I'm just not fully convinced I have it but I always remember my parents nagging me countless time as I was young to look adults in the eyes when I talked to them. I also remember how I hated using forks and spoons as a child they would always yell at me for using my fingers or having my thumb assist me as scooping something up. I never really felt normal but never felt like I had special needs, for years I was convinced I had some sort of like autism or something but no one would tell me but they knew, maybe I'm just crazy. I really don't know anymore, I'd say I'm lost in life right now it just seems so blank and empty maybe I'm better off just not caring anymore, I wish I could just stop my brain from constantly thinking and just have some peace of mind.

"They claim their labors are to build a heaven, yet their heaven is populated by horrors. Perhaps the world is not made. Perhaps nothing is made. A clock without a craftsman. It's too late. Always has been, always will be. Too late."
Old 11-19-10, 01:30 AM

I guess it depends on how well you understand social rules.
Lack of eye contact is common in ADHD and so are sensory problems. I assume that's why you didn't like using a knife or fork?
You can have AS mild, moderate and severe. Those kids could be more moderate or severe. Or they may be closer to classic high functioning autism.
AS to me is being obsessed with an interest that it's all you talk or think about. If it's co-morbid with ADHD you have many interests so you may not be as focused on just one. Although when I'm obsessed with an interest the others get forgotten about.
The other big symptom is a lack of social skills. If you prefer to talk about what you relate to and not be able to join in on small talk then you have AS. Some people with AS can but it takes a lot of practice and experience. If you naturally feel ok around other people and can talk to them then you probably aren't on the autistic spectrum. And if you can get close to people (comfort a friend) and can survive in a group conversation then you probably don't have AS.
Old 11-19-10, 09:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
I guess it depends on how well you understand social rules.
Lack of eye contact is common in ADHD and so are sensory problems. I assume that's why you didn't like using a knife or fork?
You can have AS mild, moderate and severe. Those kids could be more moderate or severe. Or they may be closer to classic high functioning autism.
AS to me is being obsessed with an interest that it's all you talk or think about. If it's co-morbid with ADHD you have many interests so you may not be as focused on just one. Although when I'm obsessed with an interest the others get forgotten about.
The other big symptom is a lack of social skills. If you prefer to talk about what you relate to and not be able to join in on small talk then you have AS. Some people with AS can but it takes a lot of practice and experience. If you naturally feel ok around other people and can talk to them then you probably aren't on the autistic spectrum. And if you can get close to people (comfort a friend) and can survive in a group conversation then you probably don't have AS.
Even in I did have mild AS is there really any help out there as in medications or advances in treatment? I'd say I've formed a case of SAD not too severe I'm just deathly afraid of making mistakes in social situations, meeting new people, some people I'm able to get close to others I tend to push away.

This is sorta off topic but I was doing some research and stumbled upon this document which is an excellent read, it's about treating schizophrenic kids with LSD, and mushrooms in the early 60's and the doctors treated kids that were also suffering from autism
http://ompldr.org/vNDFzdw?

"They claim their labors are to build a heaven, yet their heaven is populated by horrors. Perhaps the world is not made. Perhaps nothing is made. A clock without a craftsman. It's too late. Always has been, always will be. Too late."
Old 11-21-10, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickis2legit View Post
Even in I did have mild AS is there really any help out there as in medications or advances in treatment? I'd say I've formed a case of SAD not too severe I'm just deathly afraid of making mistakes in social situations, meeting new people, some people I'm able to get close to others I tend to push away.

This is sorta off topic but I was doing some research and stumbled upon this document which is an excellent read, it's about treating schizophrenic kids with LSD, and mushrooms in the early 60's and the doctors treated kids that were also suffering from autism
http://ompldr.org/vNDFzdw?
The only medications are for co-morbid conditions. You probably just need anti-anxiety meds and therapy.

Hmm, LSD to treat autism. Interesting.
Old 11-23-10, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
The only medications are for co-morbid conditions. You probably just need anti-anxiety meds and therapy.

Hmm, LSD to treat autism. Interesting.
Psychedelics were the growth area in psychiatry for over twenty years, let me share something from a book I'm reading "DMT: The Spirit Molecule"

"At the same time, scientists showed that LSD and serotonin molecules
looked very much like each other. They then demonstrated that LSD and
serotonin competed for many of the same brain sites. In some experimental situations, LSD blocked the effects of serotonin; in others, the psychedelic drug mimicked serotonin's effects.
These findings established LSD as the most powerful tool available
for learning about brain-mind relationships. If LSD's extraordinary sensory and emotional properties resulted from changing the function of brain
serotonin in specific and understandable ways, it might be possible to
"chemically dissect" particular mental functions into their basic physiological components. Other mind-altering drugs with comparably
well-characterized effects on different neurotransmitters could lead to a
decoding of the varieties of conscious experience into their underlying
chemical mechanisms.

Dozens of investigators around the world administered a dizzying array of psychedelic drugs to thousands of healthy volunteers and psychiatric
patients. For more than two decades, generous government and private
funding supported this effort. Researchers published hundreds of papers
and dozens of books. Many international conferences, meetings, and symposia discussed the latest findings in human psychedelic drug research.
Sandoz Laboratories distributed LSD to researchers so they might
induce a brief psychotic state in normal volunteers. Scientists hoped such
experiments might shed light on naturally occurring psychotic disorders
like schizophrenia.
Sandoz also recommended giving LSD to psychiatric interns to help
them establish a sense of empathy for their psychotic patients. These young
doctors were amazed by this temporary encounter with insanity. The raw
encounter with their own previously unconscious memories and feelings
led these psychiatrists to believe that these mind-loosening properties
might enhance psychotherapy.
Numerous research publications suggested that the normal mechanisms of talk therapy were much more effective with the addition of a
psychedelic drug. Dozens of scientific articles described remarkable success in helping previously untreatable patients suffering from obsessions and compulsions, post-traumatic stress, eating disorders, anxiety, depression, alcoholism, autism, and heroin dependence.
The rapid breakthroughs described by researchers using "psychedelic psychotherapy" spurred other investigators to study these drugs'
beneficial effects in despairing and pain-ridden terminally ill patients.
While there was little effect on the underlying medical conditions, psychedelic psychotherapy in these patients had striking psychological effects.
Depression lifted, requirements for pain medication fell dramatically, and
patients acceptance of their disease and its prognosis improved markedly. In addition, patients and their families seemed able to address
deep-seated and emotionally charged issues in ways never before possible. The rapid acceleration of psychological growth resulting from this
new treatment appeared quite promising in these cases where time was of
the essence. Some therapists believed that a transformative, mystical, or
spiritual experience was responsible for many of these "miraculous" re-
sponses to psychedelic psychotherapy
.In addition, it soon became apparent that the experiences described
by volunteers under deep psychedelic influences were strikingly similar
to those of practitioners of traditional Eastern meditation. The overlap
between consciousness alteration induced by psychedelic drugs and that
induced by meditation attracted the attention of writers outside of academics, including the English novelist and religious philosopher Aldous
Huxley. Huxley underwent his own remarkably positive mescaline and
LSD experiences under the watchful eye of the Canadian psychiatrist
Humphrey Osmond, who visited him in Los Angeles in the 1950s. Huxley
soon wrote about his drug sessions and the musings they inspired in him.
His writings on the nature and value of the psychedelic experience were
compelling and eloquent, inspiring many individuals' attempts to attain,
and researchers to elicit, spiritual enlightenment through psychedelic
drugs. Despite that fact that his ideas stimulated a massive movement
toward popular experimentation with the psychedelics, Huxley was a
staunch advocate of the theory that only an elite group of intellectuals
and artists should have access to them. He did not believe that the common man or woman was capable of using psychedelics in the safest and most productive ways possible.However, terminal illness studies and discussions of similarities between psychedelic drug effects and mystical experiences brought religion and science together in an uneasy mix. The research was moving further away from Sandoz's original agenda.

Complicating things further was LSD's escape from the laboratory in
the 1960s. Reports of emergency room visits, suicides, murders, birth
defects, and broken chromosomes filled the media. The highly publicized
abandonment of scientific research principles by Timothy Leary, Ph.D.,
and his research team at Harvard University ultimately resulted in their
dismissals. These events reinforced the growing suspicion that even the
scientists had lost control of these powerful psychoactive drugs.6
The media exaggerated and emphasized psychedelic drugs' negative
physical and psychological effects. Some of these reports resulted from
poor research; others were simply fabricated. Subsequent publications
cleared psychedelics from serious toxicity, including chromosome damage. However, these follow-up studies generated much less fanfare than
did the original damaging reports.
Papers in the psychiatric literature describing "bad trips," or adverse
psychological reactions to psychedelics, also multiplied, but are similarly limited. In order to address these concerns in my own study, I read
every paper describing such negative effects and published the results. It
was clear that rates of psychiatric complications were extraordinarily low
in controlled research settings, for both normal volunteers and psychiatric patients. However, when psychiatrically ill or unstable individuals
took impure or unknown psychedelics, combined with alcohol and other
drugs, in an uncontrolled setting with inadequate supervision, problems
occurred.
In response to the public's anxiety about uncontrolled LSD use, and
over the objections of nearly every investigator in the field, the United
States Congress passed a law in 1970 making LSD and other psychedelics
illegal. The government told scientists to return their drugs, paperwork
requirements for obtaining and maintaining new supplies of psychedelics
for research became a time-consuming and confusing burden, and there
was little hope for new projects. Money for studies dried up and researchers abandoned their experiments. With the new drug laws in place, interest
in human psychedelic research died off almost as rapidly as it had begun.
It was as if the psychedelic drugs became "un-discovered.
"

Think of it this way, if the US Government never passed a law making LSD illegal we would probably have a cure for Autism by now, please atleast read the bold and I highly recommend reading document I posted above. Maybe if more people get educated on the positive effects of psychedelic drugs we can move forward in psychiatry. I don't recommend uncontrolled use of LSD however I do recommend educating yourself about it and spreading the truth.

Old 01-08-11, 04:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road

wow...pretty crazy to think my posts were only 7 months ago....
that feels like a lifetime ago.

well, after hanging out with the people on wrong planet forum I have to conclude I have some form of autism, though not on the severe side whether hfa or aspergers.

To the last post, I have done lsd and shrooms before- both had positive effects on me. The experiences were pretty strange and most the time I regretted doing it and wanted it to go away. But towards the end I worked some stuff out in my head, which previously I don't think I could have worked out. Afterward the ideas have stuck in my head, I am not the same person I used to be. For the better though I believe, which is not to say I am totally different, most of me is the same but in regards to future events and what I am to do to get to where I need to go. I understand things I must do, I am more comfortable with who I am, and it has helped solidify ideas that were rocky previously but I had been pondering. (I know this description is vague...wish I could describe it better) I wouldn't attribute all of these changes to lsd or mushrooms but i will definately say that both helped in the end.

omega 3-6-9, milk thistle, good time released multivitamin, and green/black tea is what I find to be most beneficial to me now.

I am not suggesting lsd or shrooms to anyone, they can be very scary and in some cases harmful.
Old 02-08-11, 03:14 PM

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

Some of these things I can identify with...on the other hand, all those symptoms could stem from a completely different disorder, or I am simply exaggerating my social difficulties in my own mind. Who knows? My own psychologist has been loathe to diagnose me with anything besides Anxiety/ADD.
Old 05-28-11, 01:20 PM

woodye has a spectacular aura aboutwoodye has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
Does your shoulder hurt?

I believe that I am quite personable to others but only on a superficial level.
The AS could affect my ADD traits. I often wonder if such diagnosis would be hindered by the combination of symptoms.

( this refers to television )
-Frank Zappa & mothers of invention -

this may or may not apply depending on my mood
or situation to some degree