ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 08-24-16, 12:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

maysarieltiff is on a distinguished road
Annoyed with multiple diagnoses'

I don't know where to post this. I need to vent.

It seems impossible that I have all of these diagnosis'. ADD, Depression, GAD, bipolar, borderline personality, chronic hypertension...

I take 10 pills a day, including my multivitamin. I am tired of it. Sorry, 11, but I stopped taking the migraine one because, well, I forgot and now it's just been two weeks and I have only had two headaches...

How is it possible to have so many diagnosis'? Can't I just have a couple and be done with it? I do not want to take all of these meds, and I have tried some natural supplements but they do not seem to do the trick. Honestly, what I am on is not working so why take them at all? I despise taking pills, I gag, They never go down right...

Argh.

Ok, rant done. Anyone else taking an insane amount of meds a day and wishes they weren't?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maysarieltiff For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-24-16), namazu (08-24-16), peripatetic (08-24-16)
Old 08-24-16, 01:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,972 Times in 14,781 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Annoyed with multiple diagnoses'

I think we can have multiple diagnosis's because so many are comorbid, or overlap when it comes to mental health issues. I have: GAD, PTSD, bipolar II, and adhd- and thats not including the physical issues I have! I take multiple pills, multiple times a day, I wont even share how many because Im like a pharmacy. If you really doubt some of your diagnosis's then its worth looking into or discussing them with your doctor, but if you are just venting and feeling bad about how many issues you have then give yourself a break.
You are NOT: Lazy,crazy,ugly,terrible,horrible,worthless,unwort hy,useless,dumb,stupid,evil,unloveable or insignificant.
You are human.
You have flaws.
You have gifts.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-24-16), namazu (08-24-16)
Old 08-24-16, 01:02 AM

Thanked 33,866 Times in 15,316 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i'm currently down to taking (and everything i take is for psychiatric conditions) four different medications daily and have two PRNs prescribed. that's down from, for a brief period of time after one of my discharges, taking up to a dozen different pills/capsules daily and getting a monthly injection in the butt.

it depends on how you count...like, my very first diagnosis was dyslexia, but that hardly matters in light of other things in my life at this point...that was as a maybe six year old. i also have been diagnosed with panic disorder with agoraphobia before, but that's been collapsed into my OCD diagnosis once i finally relented and let my psychiatrist put another acronym on my chart.

i also have adhd, but i'm currently not treated for it. that's because the third diagnosis i have hasn't been fully treated for several years and i've got to get to at least two full years of stability before they'll consider restarting stimulants. so, as you can imagine, that third one's a *****. and something i don't identify on the open forum. also because i don't completely believe it's true. still...i take a bunch of meds and, sadly, most are antipsychotics.

it's better than it has been though. and i've only been hospitalized once this calendar year, so...i guess it's worth it...? i have a baby girl, so, yeah....it's worth it.

sorry your'e struggling with your treatment plan. i hope you can reduce some of your meds sooner than later. xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-24-16), namazu (08-24-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-16, 01:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I take 8 meds, 15 pills per day.
  1. 1 for ADHD
  2. 1 for depression
  3. 1 for sleep
  4. 1 for anticoagulation
  5. 1 for hypertension
  6. 1 for hypercholesterolemia
  7. 1 to spank the pancreas (type 2 diabetic)
  8. 1 to muzzle the liver (type 2 diabetic)
I am glad to take all of them as they help me with the ways my body does not function properly.

That said, I can’t afford them sometimes, so I go without, and that’s no good. In particular, my ADHD med is spendy. I pay for everything out of pocket.

But yeah, I am glad to have my diagnoses, and my meds. All of them.

I’d take a couple more meds if I could. But that’s a question of being prescribed them, or being able to afford them (and I can’t).

Thanks,
Ian
Old 08-24-16, 09:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

maysarieltiff is on a distinguished road

"I think we can have multiple diagnosis's because so many are comorbid, or overlap when it comes to mental health issues. I have: GAD, PTSD, bipolar II, and adhd- and thats not including the physical issues I have! I take multiple pills, multiple times a day, I wont even share how many because Im like a pharmacy. If you really doubt some of your diagnosis's then its worth looking into or discussing them with your doctor, but if you are just venting and feeling bad about how many issues you have then give yourself a break.
You are NOT: Lazy,crazy,ugly,terrible,horrible,worthless,unwort hy,useless,dumb,stupid,evil,unloveable or insignificant.
You are human.
You have flaws.
You have gifts."

Thank you all for putting things in perspective. I also have been told I have PTSD and panic disorder at points in my life.

I should be thankful that I have access to these medications (at the moment), although we are still working to find the right mix. I just needed to complain I guess lol. I was frustrated. Thank you.

I appreciate the responses!

Good luck to us all with our meds.

Also, I wish I had one for sleeping!! My psychiatrist seems reluctant to prescribe that. I have mentioned the last time I was there that I was sleeping 4 hours a night tops. Perhaps because the ADD meds aren't working to our desired effects. IDK. Plus, I can't be out to the point that I won't wake up for my son if he wakes up in the middle of the night. Maybe that is why.

Last edited by maysarieltiff; 08-24-16 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Old 08-24-16, 09:46 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

I have five current diagnoses, and I take several meds each day. It's not fun but they are helping.

Sometimes I just want to stop taking them although I know this isn't a good idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (08-24-16)
Old 09-11-16, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

I'm so glad you raised this topic!! I believe that many of we folks with mental health issues don't have one definable disorder and our doctors don't know how to treat a non-defined disorder so they just treat you for everything.

I only found out about my ADHD because my doc put me on Adderall for depression. Turned out the Adderall worked for everything my doc had diagnosed me with (Anxiety, depression, and touch of OCD at one point). So I was able to chuck out all the other drugs (mostly) and take only Adderall.

So my advice would be not to take all the drugs blindly and to test things out to see what works for you. With a 25-year diagnosis with anxiety it makes no sense that I could give up klonopin (mostly) and live anxiety free on Adderall. But it's been 2 years and now I don't think about death and dying anymore because life is no longer a daily battle.

I still take Klonopin for sleep, I haven't conquered that yet...
Old 12-18-17, 04:32 PM

wind&snow is on a distinguished road

Personally I think that - could be - rubbish, because I believe it's more confusing to the patient as well as the doctor/psychiatrist when the patient has been diagnosed with a multitude of diagnoses', which have lots of similarities (and thus, one can naturally suspect that one or another have been confused at some point). But then again, if you match the diagnostic criteria for those diagnoses' then there's of course nothing wrong per se struggling with many different aspects of mental health and illness.

ADD, Depression and GAD often co-exist. Bipolar and Borderline Personality could definitely overlap and be confused for each other. I think it's just you yourself who can say which diagnoses' apply to your mental state/mentality/brain. Do you struggle with black and white thinking and extreme separation-anxiety and sabotage close relationships i.e borderline? Do you have manic and depressive episodes?

Did you get diagnosed with any of them after starting e.g. SSRI, though? If so, things could get further confused by side effects from all the medications you're taking. Chronic hypertension especially. But maybe you had that before starting any medications? And if you got the Bipolar diagnose after SSRI that could be what's called Antidepressant-Induced Mania (what psychiatry would call latent bipolar disorder, a great article on the matter: Antidepressant-Induced Mania by Phillip Hickey at MadInAmerica.

Also, what Snoopy10 said, many things could simply be related to ADD.

Then one shouldn't forget that those diagnoses' simply are categories with diagnostic criteria that you appear to match, or matched at some point in your life. Psychiatric diagnoses' aren't set in stone. I believe they're exceedingly easy to confuse.

Last edited by namazu; 12-18-17 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: language, replaced link with print-friendly version of article
Old 12-18-17, 06:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysarieltiff View Post
I don't know where to post this. I need to vent.

It seems impossible that I have all of these diagnosis'. ADD, Depression, GAD, bipolar, borderline personality, chronic hypertension...

I take 10 pills a day, including my multivitamin. I am tired of it. Sorry, 11, but I stopped taking the migraine one because, well, I forgot and now it's just been two weeks and I have only had two headaches...

How is it possible to have so many diagnosis'? Can't I just have a couple and be done with it? I do not want to take all of these meds, and I have tried some natural supplements but they do not seem to do the trick. Honestly, what I am on is not working so why take them at all? I despise taking pills, I gag, They never go down right...

Argh.

Ok, rant done. Anyone else taking an insane amount of meds a day and wishes they weren't?

It's not fun to take so many meds each morning, but I'm actually happy to
take them because I'm doing so much better now. I take 9 each morning.

Hypertension - Lotensin HC
ADHD - Omega 3 x2
GAD (anxiety) - Zoloft
Allergies - Zyrtec
Bones and depression - Vitamin D3 x3
Herpes simplex virus - L Lysine

I also have migraines and fibromyalgia. Haven't found anything that prevents
the migraines, so I just take something when they hit (Excedrin or Norco).
Same with the fibromyalgia, I take Aleve as needed for pain.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me