ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-06, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Talking Understanding the Neurotypical Person from a Neurologically Diverse Perspective

Background for this thread:

On the ADD Vent thread, Pembroke asked what NT meant. In my typical knowledge seeking, ADD, way, I googled the term - neurotypical - with no hyphen, Google.com showed 5,000 hits at that moment in the time-space continuum. When I saw it listed as a disorder..........let's just say it peeked my interest!

Here two links to get the thread started. This post is only the first step of a journey that must be taken.

Neurotypicala definition

% of Population that is Neurotypical there are a lot of resources on this site-you must scroll way, way down to find this information.

Note of caution: This thread is in Chit-Chat, a place for humor and general light-hearted talk about ADD and all divergent issues. Some threads related, some totally irrelevant to this "disorder." The originator of this thread is not responsible in any way for uncontrollable laughter, altered perspectives of normalcy, or the inspired thoughts and musings found on other websites and resources.

RADD
Old 08-30-06, 04:11 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
OOps some ADD moderator moved it to General ADD and it wasn't me! Apparently this would be a general ADD issue according to some one. Hey we like humor over here just as much as they do it chit-chat.

Now that my blood sugar has risen to the point where the world makes some resemblance of sense I shall see what the hyperlinks you have provided have to say be right back!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 08-30-06, 04:39 PM
Super Meowaderator

meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
An on-line test for NTer-ism

To see if you have NTerism before posting

Last edited by HighFunctioning; 08-30-06 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Fixed Hyperlink
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-06, 05:08 PM

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Oops, I am neurally diverse! An lovin' it.

I just finished a great post to this thread-got a message and it disappeared I hate it when that happens. Will rewrite it and hope it finds its way back here. I usually make copies as I go just in case! And it is usually my really good ones!

Oh-I don't think any moderator moved it-I posted it wrong-Guess I am not neurotypical and could never "pass" as an NT either!

RADD

Last edited by VisualImagery; 08-30-06 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: a neurobiological diverse moment in the time-space continuum
Old 08-30-06, 05:16 PM
Super Meowaderator

OKay we are back in Chit Chat. Staff thought we would run the thread around the block a time or two just because we have ADD!

It runs well by the way.

Neurodiversity

***Source Quote
Neurodiversity is a concept that atypical (neurodivergent) neurological wiring is a normal human difference that is to be tolerated and respected as any other human difference. The concept of neurodiversity was created by some autistic individuals and people with related conditions, who believe that autism is not a disorder, but a part of who they are, and that curing autistic people would be the same as destroying their original personalities and replacing them with different people. Some people apply the concept of neurodiversity to dyslexic, dyspraxic and hyperactive people.
***End Source Quote

Okay I must be doubly diverse because I have hyeractivity and dyslexia

Okay maybe I am flat out strange!

Neurotypical

***Source Quote
The term is used with varying degrees of seriousness. This ranges from a straightforward factual way to refer to non-autistic spectrum people to a more playfully tongue-in-cheek use in contexts which often strongly imply that the "merely typical" are wasting brain capacity keeping track of uninteresting and irrelevant information such as illogical 'social rules'. [2].***End Source Quote

All right who on here wrote this???

Looks dangeriously like something ADDer would say!

Institute for the Study of the NT

I love the little hyperlink below the main pages title that says
Quote(Note: The content of this site is a parody. It is not to be taken literally. Help with understanding the humor.) End Quote

Please make a notation as to weather or not you needed to click on the hyperlink to understand the sense of humor!

***Source Quote
Neurotypical individuals often assume that their experience of the world is either the only one, or the only correct one. NTs find it difficult to be alone. NTs are often intolerant of seemingly minor differences in others. When in groups NTs are socially and behaviorally rigid, and frequently insist upon the performance of dysfunctional, destructive, and even impossible rituals as a way of maintaining group identity. NTs find it difficult to communicate directly, and have a much higher incidence of lying as compared to persons on the autistic spectrum.
***End Source Quote

~underlining mine

Actually the last line is factually correct according to the litature I have read about autism.

In my opinion ADDers are a more apt to be on one end of the spectrum or the other. They are either impulsive truth tellers(the category I fall into) or pathlogocal liars.

Old 08-30-06, 06:25 PM

Exclamation A Diagnosis of Neurotypicality as a Pervasive Developmental Disorder

From one of the 50,000 plus hits on neurotypical . I enlarged the font to make it easy to read! I have trifocals now and verdana 2 is torture to read.

Warning:The quote below is the opening paragraph of a longggg article about NT's. Put on your depends or, better yet, sit on the pot while reading the entire article, it could cause urinary embarassment, a numb butt is much preferable. (This is how I got out of dishes as a kid. I have to go potty. Then I snuck a book or magazine in with me. Somehow, I was not smart enough to pee, then get off the pot and sit on the floor or in the tub-always got a numb butt and pins and needles. Could have folded towels for a pillow-this sudden thought just hit me!)

Link to article and Frank Klein's website

Quote:
Understanding Neurotypicality
Neurotypicality is a pervasive developmental condition, probably present since birth, in which the affected person sees the world in a very strange manner. It is a puzzle; a enigma that traps those so affected in a lifelong struggle for social status and recognition. Neurotypical individuals almost invariably show a triad of impairments, consisting of inability to think independently of the social group, marked impairment in the ability to think logically or critically, and inability to form special interests (other than in social activity). It is my hope that this article will help us understand the very different world of the neurotypical. by Frank Klein

As a teacher formerly known as a high school student, and from my more than casual teacher observations of students in the classroom, activities, sports, cafeteria, hallways, and on school grounds, I made this list of student groups.

Think of these groups as being part of a Venn diagram.Gee-I am using a Math/Science concept! Red letter day! There is overlapping and many kids are part of more than one group. I intermix the old and the new. My observations from @1966 till today.

Who in this list is neurotypical and who is neurologically diverse? How can we tell the difference?
  • Guy Jocks
    • golf, soccer, and tennis players
    • basketball and football
    • track and field, cross country, and baseball
  • Girl Jocks
    • Track and field, volleyball and softball
    • golf and tennis
  • Cheerleaders, Poms, and Dancers
  • Computer club-Geeks
  • Theater/theatre kids
    • actors
    • backstagers
  • Science clubs
    • biology
    • chemistry
    • physics
  • Foreign language club-sometimes one per languague or called cross-cultural club
  • WHYSE-youth in science and engineering
  • Chemistry club
  • biology club
  • physics club
  • Mock trial
  • Youth and Government
  • Scholar bowl
  • Math club
  • Debate team
  • English related groups
  • library aide
  • AV aid
  • TV and Broadcasting club
  • FFA-Future Farmers or Ag club
  • FBLA-Future Business leaders
  • FCCLA-used to be Future Homemakers of America
  • heavy metal gotta have my music kids
  • goths
  • pokemon players/comic book collectors
  • role-playing gamers
  • neo-hippies
  • activist students-lots of causes
  • rebellious loners
  • unaccepted loners
  • awkward kids who just don't fit in anywhere-sit alone at a big table
  • stoners
  • cigarette smokers who stand just off school property to annoy administraton
  • Hispanic groups in a mostly white school
  • African-American groups in a mostly white school
  • Minority students who assimilated into the mainstream culture of the school
  • AP/Honor students
  • Smart kids who study before school alone
  • Smart kids who study before school in groups
  • Social climbers-I call them clones because they all look alike to me!
  • kids with relatives or friend in prison
    • some are shamed
    • some are proud
  • Kids who get into trouble outside of school
    • drugs-or in rehab
    • commit crimes-on probation
  • Kids who get in trouble in school
    • detention
    • in-school suspension
    • out of school suspension
  • We are just a bunch of friends who hang together groups-a mix!
  • gang members or wanna be's
  • School sucks and I have to be here
  • Groups of immature or generally smart aleck freshmen boys who everyone avoids
  • Drama queen groups
  • loving couples who stick together like suction cups
  • the special ed or "twinkie" bus kids-sometimes have separate entrance and different schedule to avoid contact with regular students-less with NCLB and inclusion
  • Teacher and office assistants
  • High income kids
  • Middle income kids
  • Low income kids
  • Welfare kids
  • kids who drive beaters
  • kids who drive pick-up trucks
  • kids who drive SUV's
  • kids who take the bus and are not frosh or sophs
  • art club
  • choir
  • band/marching band
  • orchestra
  • jazz band-if school is wealthy enough
  • show choir
  • gay, lesbian, bisexual students-if they can even out themselves safely
  • Coop students
    • HOSA-Health Occupation Students of America
    • Culinary arts
    • automotive
    • welding
    • machine shop
    • building trades
    • business
    • architecture
    • horticulture
    • agriculture
    • others depending on area
What groups have I forgotten or don't know about? Things may be different in other countries or in schools with different ethnic populations.

Serious question: Is there a relationship between socio-economic status and the rate of occurence, diagnosis, treatment of, or anything else you can think of that would affect attitudes, acceptance, and personal success of neurobiologically diverse individuals? I don't expect hard and fast answers, just find it an interesting question-mostly Rhetorical, but.........
Old 08-30-06, 06:35 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
I've seen "neurotypical" used in literature to refer to a person who is not disrdered according to the DSM-IV. I think ADDers and others are starting to "borrow" the term as it comes into popular use.

One thing about the use of the term that bothers me is that it is often used to segment people into groups... it is divisive and sets one group against another by default. I'm not so sure that it a good thing when the term is used to single out a group or people....

But , in the literature it definitely is a convenient handle for comparing persons in the DSM-IV to those who are not, so, I'd expect to see the use of the term increase.

There are neurotypicals, and there is everybody else.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 08-30-06, 06:39 PM

Talking ThDiagnostic and Statistical Manual of 'Normal' Disorders

Quote:
Okay maybe I am flat out strange!
On this forum, who could tell?

This was written by a person with Autism-We need to write criteria for a "normal" diagnosis opposite ADD/ADHD. Perhaps a group effort-start a draft on here and we can edit, add, delete, and laugh until we get it "just right"!

Quote:
DSN-IV (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of 'Normal' Disorders)

Disorders Usually First Evident in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence

666.00 Neurotypic Disorder emphasis RADDmom's

The essential features constitute a severe form of Invasive Developmental Disorder, with onset in infancy or childhood.

Diagnostic criteria for 666.00 Neurotypic Disorder

At least eight of the following sixteen items are present, these to include at least two items from A, one from B, and one from C.

Note: Consider a criterion to be met only if the behavior is abnormal for the person's developmental level.

A. Qualitative impairment in independent social interaction as manifested by the following:

(The examples within parentheses are arranged so that those first mentioned are more likely to apply to younger or more handicapped, and the later ones, to older or less handicapped, persons with this disorder.)
(1) marked delusional sense of awareness of the existence or feelings of others (e.g., treats a person as if he or she were an extention of himself; behaves as if clairavoyant of another person's distress; apparently projects own concepts and needs onto others)

(2) extreme or abnormal seeking of comfort at times of distress (e.g., constantly comes for comfort even when ill, hurt, or tired; seeks comfort in a stereotyped way, e.g., cries, whines needs demands for attention whenever hurt)

(3) constant or mindless imitation (e.g., always wave bye-bye; copies mother's domestic activities; mechanical imitation of others' actions whenever perceived to be in context)

(4) constant or excessive social play (e.g., always actively participates in simple games; prefers group play activities; involves other children in play only as long as the other children are exactly like themselves with no differences "mirrored images")

(5) gross impairment in ability to make peer friendships (e.g., obsessive interest in making peer friendships with other Neurotypics; despite interest in making friends and afore mentioned delusion of clairavoyance, demonstrates lack of understanding for those who are different and an obsessive rigidity for social convention, for example, constantly seeks attention/positive reinforment while staring mocking or laughing at others while they stim and rock and remain mute)

B. Qualitative impairment in verbal and nonverbal communication, and in imaginative activity, as manifested by the following:

(The numbered items are arranged so that those first listed are more likely to apply to younger or more handicapped, and the later ones, to older or less handicapped, persons with this disorder.)
(1) blatent overuse of all modes of communication, such as communicative babbling, facial expression, gesture, mime, or spoken language

(2) markedly abnormal nonverbal communication, as in the use of eye-to- eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, or gestures to initiate or modulate social interaction (e.g., anticipates and enjoys being held, does not stiffens when held, constantly looks at the other person or smiles when making a social approach, compulsively greets parents or visitors,insists on invasively stares into the eyes of others in social situations)

(3) excessive imaginative irrelevant activity, such as playacting of adult roles, fantasy characters, or animals, lack of interest in computers or other logical fullfilling pastimes

(4) marked abnormalities in the production of speech, including volume, pitch, stress, rate, rhythm, and intonation (e.g., gregarious grandious tone, overly emotional or syrupy melody, or overcontrolled pitch)

(5) marked abnormalities in the form or content of speech, including stereotyped and repetitive use of speech (e.g., immediate mindless or mechanical repetition of NT peers' latest 'in' or catch phrases) (e.g., "whatever" to mean "I am saying I disagree with you but I want you to be upset by my saying so in this way"); idiosyncratic use of words of phrases (e.g., "are you dissing me?" to mean "don't disrespect me"); or frequent irrelevant remarks (e.g., starts talking about the behavour of autistics at a table nearby during a meal at a restaurant)

(6) marked impairment in the ability to refrain from initiating a conversation or once initated to sustain a full thought during conversation with others, despite adequate speech (e.g., unable to stay ontopic/on thought due to the interjections from other Neurotypics)

C. Markedly restricted repertoire of activities and interests, as manifested by the following:
(1) inability or lack of understanding for or interest in stereotyped body movements, e.g., hand-flicking or -twisting, spinning, head-banging (except for during certain types of rock concerts), complex whole-body movements

(2) persistent lack of awareness or inability to perceive parts of objects (e.g., seeing 'a windmill' but failing to see the existance of the many beautiful finite parts which comprise the whole object, oblivion to feelings of texture of materials, spinning wheels of toy cars) or has an attachment to unusual objects (e.g., insists on driving around in a BMW, wearing Rolex watches, carrying a cellular phone or briefcase)

(3) marked oblivion to changes in aspects of environment, e.g., when a vase is moved from usual position

(4) unreasonable insistence in sameness in others in precise detail, e.g., insisting that exactly the same social behaviours always be followed when shopping

(5) markedly restricted range of interest and a preoccupation with one narrow interest, e.g., interested only in status quo climbing, impressing friends, or in pretending to be smarter or better than they are.

D. Onset during infancy or childhood.
Specify if childhood onset (after 36 months of age).
Author: Shelley from Kalamazoo http://isnt.autistics.org/dsn.html

Last edited by VisualImagery; 08-30-06 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Add quote to credit author
Old 08-30-06, 06:41 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Yes RaddMom;

Persons who are on the spectrum tend to be underemployed, underpaid, and not recognized for their abilities, in disregard of IQ or ability. . (insert favorite citation here). As a result, the socioeconomic status of non-neurotypical persons can be expected to be lower than for neurotypicals as a group. There are some notable exceptions (Bill Gates is possibly an aspie), but as a group the socioeconomic outlook for very many is not good.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADDmom
From one of the 50,000 plus hits on neurotypical . I enlarged the font to make it easy to read! I have trifocals now and verdana 2 is torture to read.

Warning:The quote below is the opening paragraph of a longggg article about NT's. Put on your depends or, better yet, sit on the pot while reading the entire article, it could cause urinary embarassment, a numb butt is much preferable. (This is how I got out of dishes as a kid. I have to go potty. Then I snuck a book or magazine in with me. Somehow, I was not smart enough to pee, then get off the pot and sit on the floor or in the tub-always got a numb butt and pins and needles. Could have folded towels for a pillow-this sudden thought just hit me!)

Link to article and Frank Klein's website

As a teacher formerly known as a high school student, and from my more than casual teacher observations of students in the classroom, activities, sports, cafeteria, hallways, and on school grounds, I made this list of student groups.

Think of these groups as being part of a Venn diagram.Gee-I am using a Math/Science concept! Red letter day! There is overlapping and many kids are part of more than one group. I intermix the old and the new. My observations from @1966 till today.

Who in this list is neurotypical and who is neurologically diverse? How can we tell the difference?
  • Guy Jocks
    • golf, soccer, and tennis players
    • basketball and football
    • track and field, cross country, and baseball
  • Girl Jocks
    • Track and field, volleyball and softball
    • golf and tennis
  • Cheerleaders, Poms, and Dancers
  • Computer club-Geeks
  • Theater/theatre kids
    • actors
    • backstagers
  • Science clubs
    • biology
    • chemistry
    • physics
  • Foreign language club-sometimes one per languague or called cross-cultural club
  • WHYSE-youth in science and engineering
  • Chemistry club
  • biology club
  • physics club
  • Mock trial
  • Youth and Government
  • Scholar bowl
  • Math club
  • Debate team
  • English related groups
  • library aide
  • AV aid
  • TV and Broadcasting club
  • FFA-Future Farmers or Ag club
  • FBLA-Future Business leaders
  • FCCLA-used to be Future Homemakers of America
  • heavy metal gotta have my music kids
  • goths
  • pokemon players/comic book collectors
  • role-playing gamers
  • neo-hippies
  • activist students-lots of causes
  • rebellious loners
  • unaccepted loners
  • awkward kids who just don't fit in anywhere-sit alone at a big table
  • stoners
  • cigarette smokers who stand just off school property to annoy administraton
  • Hispanic groups in a mostly white school
  • African-American groups in a mostly white school
  • Minority students who assimilated into the mainstream culture of the school
  • AP/Honor students
  • Smart kids who study before school alone
  • Smart kids who study before school in groups
  • Social climbers-I call them clones because they all look alike to me!
  • kids with relatives or friend in prison
    • some are shamed
    • some are proud
  • Kids who get into trouble outside of school
    • drugs-or in rehab
    • commit crimes-on probation
  • Kids who get in trouble in school
    • detention
    • in-school suspension
    • out of school suspension
  • We are just a bunch of friends who hang together groups-a mix!
  • gang members or wanna be's
  • School sucks and I have to be here
  • Groups of immature or generally smart aleck freshmen boys who everyone avoids
  • Drama queen groups
  • loving couples who stick together like suction cups
  • the special ed or "twinkie" bus kids-sometimes have separate entrance and different schedule to avoid contact with regular students-less with NCLB and inclusion
  • Teacher and office assistants
  • High income kids
  • Middle income kids
  • Low income kids
  • Welfare kids
  • kids who drive beaters
  • kids who drive pick-up trucks
  • kids who drive SUV's
  • kids who take the bus and are not frosh or sophs
  • art club
  • choir
  • band/marching band
  • orchestra
  • jazz band-if school is wealthy enough
  • show choir
  • gay, lesbian, bisexual students-if they can even out themselves safely
  • Coop students
    • HOSA-Health Occupation Students of America
    • Culinary arts
    • automotive
    • welding
    • machine shop
    • building trades
    • business
    • architecture
    • horticulture
    • agriculture
    • others depending on area
What groups have I forgotten or don't know about? Things may be different in other countries or in schools with different ethnic populations.

Serious question: Is there a relationship between socio-economic status and the rate of occurence, diagnosis, treatment of, or anything else you can think of that would affect attitudes, acceptance, and personal success of neurobiologically diverse individuals? I don't expect hard and fast answers, just find it an interesting question-mostly Rhetorical, but.........
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 08-30-06, 07:00 PM

In typical ADD fashion, my brain was too fast for my hands! But it was a good thing! I have to agree, a disability is more often than not typical for people with disabilities. That is one reason for the ADA, I am sure.

The thinking behind my question was based on the socio-economic status of the parents while the child is in school.

I have seen sucessful kids from lower income families, and unsuccessful kids of high-income, highly educated parents, and every other possiblity on the success spectrum. I am very curious about these kids future success.

RADD
Old 08-30-06, 07:09 PM

It's a good question. I think that middle and low income families are going to be harder pressed to find resources to treat their autistic child, and they might find the cost of training the child to be prohibitively expensive as compared to a higher income family. Autism is one expensive disorder to treat.

Me
Old 08-30-06, 07:15 PM

According to one citation below, most autistic chidrem are from families with a high sociaoeconomic status. How about that !? Others say NO, and some say maybe.

ME

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u5h321548838p7r1/

Abstract Kanner, in his 1943 article, reported that parents of autistic children tended to be of high socioeconomic status (SES). According to Schopler, Andrews and Strupp (1979), subsequent studies did not reveal similar findings. However, a careful analysis of these studies will show that in all instances the SES distributions of the parents were bimodal. The evidence shows that when Kanner's strict criteria are used, parents of autistic children are of higher SES. However, when children withautistic features are included in the first group, bimodal distributions are obtained. It is suggested that the question of upper SES of parents of autistic children is still open.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...&cd=3&ie=UTF-8

Previously discounted theories associated with autsim.

n Kanner’s theory: lack of warmhearted parents, family pre-occupied with intellectual abstractions, lack of parental interest in children. This theory has not been substantiated. 5
n Parenting style: rage, rejection, reinforcing autistic behaviors. Parenting style is not associated with development of PDD.4

n Socioeconomics: children of high socioeconomic status are more likely to be autistic. This is not the case, although those of higher socioeconomic status are more likely to be referred to a specialist.4

n Education: Parental education and occupation have not been associated with autism. 6, 7
n Maternal age: While some studies have found an association between maternal age and autism, others have found that there is only a higher percentage of mothers over age 30 with autistic children, but this is not statistically significant.8

n MMR vaccine:
o The hypothesis that autism is related to the MMR vaccine is largely due to the work of Wakefield et al. proposed in 1998 when he claimed that shortly after receiving an MMR vaccine, children began displaying symptoms of autism. 9
o Various other studies have been published disproving his theory that autism is related to the MMR vaccine.1,2,10 A formal retraction was printed in the March 2004 Lancet. 10

Here is another;(not from a refereed journal)

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Hom...00000b80119794

The paper discusses the relationship between social class and infantile autism and provides supporting evidence for L. Kanner's original findings regarding a relationship between infantile autism and high socioeconomic status. Section I contains studies which are clinical or impressionistic in nature; while Sections II and III focus on studies on the relationship between social class and infantile autism in large samples, both in foreign countries and the U.S. A fourth section considers a number of studies which have been used by the proponents who do not believe in socioeconomic differences between autistics and nonautistics. The issue of the universality of autism is also raised, and some indications are cited that infantile autism seems to be rare among minority groups. The review shows that in many studies where the genuinely autistic children were separated from those with autisticlike symptoms caused by specific organic etiologies, the intellectual superiority of the parents was confirmed. (SB)

Here is one against it (also not refereed journal)

http://www.thedepressiontreatment.co...-disorder.html

Last edited by speedo; 08-30-06 at 07:32 PM..
Old 08-30-06, 07:44 PM

Speedo,
Unless I am understanding this reference incorrectly, the first source states that these are discounted theories. After reading the article it confirms socio-economic status as not being a cause. The other seems to disagree but is more than 20 years older. I added emphasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
According tp the cite below, most autistic chidrem are from families with a high sociaoeconomic status. How about that !?

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...&cd=3&ie=UTF-8

Previously discounted theories associated with autsim.

n Kanner’s theory: lack of warmhearted parents, family pre-occupied with intellectual abstractions, lack of parental interest in children. This theory has not been substantiated. 5
n Parenting style: rage, rejection, reinforcing autistic behaviors. Parenting style is not associated with development of PDD.4

n Socioeconomics: children of high socioeconomic status are more likely to be autistic. This is not the case, although those of higher socioeconomic status are more likely to be referred to a specialist.4

n Education: Parental education and occupation have not been associated with autism. 6, 7
n Maternal age: While some studies have found an association between maternal age and autism, others have found that there is only a higher percentage of mothers over age 30 with autistic children, but this is not statistically significant.8

n MMR vaccine:
o The hypothesis that autism is related to the MMR vaccine is largely due to the work of Wakefield et al. proposed in 1998 when he claimed that shortly after receiving an MMR vaccine, children began displaying symptoms of autism. 9
o Various other studies have been published disproving his theory that autism is related to the MMR vaccine.1,2,10 A formal retraction was printed in the March 2004 Lancet. 10
End of that article states:
Conclusion – The multi-factorial etiology of PDD
  • Obstetric complications: The research findings suggest that complications of pregnancy and labor and delivery occur more often in children with PDDs than in children without a diagnosed PDD. This supports previous research which found that adverse obstetrical events are found at an increased frequency in children with autistic spectrum disorders.11
  • Environmental exposures: The study indicates that maternal tobacco use, residence near chemical or electric plants, and consumption of fish, which may contain methylmercury, could be contributing factors in the development of PDD.
  • Genetics: The finding that children with a PDD were significantly more likely to have a relative with a diagnosed PDD or PDD-like symptoms in this study supported other research which has established the role of genetics in development of a PDD.2,4
Main Point: Our results support the recent theory that development of a PDD is multi-factorial in nature and may be related to a number of environmental factors.1

There is not a date on this article that I could find, but many references are dated 2002, 2001. Compared to the article and study listed below, that is a very long time between studies and some researchers would not consider a 20 year-old study as recent enough to be used in a literature review for a current study. Recent is often considered within the last 5 to at most 10 years. Not hard and fast but generally, depending on they type of research-historical research does not count here.

Quote:
Here is another;(not from a refereed journal)

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/Hom...00000b80119794

The paper discusses the relationship between social class and infantile autism and provides supporting evidence for L. Kanner's original findings regarding a relationship between infantile autism and high socioeconomic status. Section I contains studies which are clinical or impressionistic in nature; while Sections II and III focus on studies on the relationship between social class and infantile autism in large samples, both in foreign countries and the U.S. A fourth section considers a number of studies which have been used by the proponents who do not believe in socioeconomic differences between autistics and nonautistics. The issue of the universality of autism is also raised, and some indications are cited that infantile autism seems to be rare among minority groups. The review shows that in many studies where the genuinely autistic children were separated from those with autisticlike symptoms caused by specific organic etiologies, the intellectual superiority of the parents was confirmed.
This is only the abstract-the full text is not available on ERIC. Pulished in 1980. A more recent study would be interesting to read!

RADD
Old 08-30-06, 08:26 PM

You asked for it!!!

DSN-IV 999.000 ATTENTION SURPLUS PASSIVE DISORDER (ASPD)

1. Either A or B:
A. Six or more of the following symptoms on surplus attention having been
present for at least 6 months to a point that it is consdered "neurotypical"

ATTENTION
1. Often pays excessive attention to details,
2. Rarely sidetrips and may exhibit a profound inability to multitask.
3. An uncannny ability to retain long lists of verbal insctructions.
4. Excessive focus on "playing by the rules" Not an "outside the box" thinker.
5: Has a highly rigid, linear style of thinking, unable to arrive at the answer
to problems without an unusal amount of time and effort.
6: Highly obsessed with organization and scheduling. Becomes upset if not able
to meet deadlines.
7. Has a tendency to be on-time and ready for tasks like meetings, classes,
appointments.
8. Is rarely distracted, thinks in a single thread only. Maintains focus easily due
to underuse of grey matter. (see item #2)
9. Rarely forgetful in daily activities, A decidely one-track mind.

B. Six or more of the following symptoms of inactivity or passivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that the individuakl appears to be "normal".

INACTIVITY
1. Never fidgets or squirms. Sits peacfully in a chair.
2. Never responds to environmental stimuli, remains seated when expected to.
3. Never has a stunning idea or a wonderful thought to share, never intterupts.
4. Too quiet, does not konw how to bust a mvoe and show some hustle.
5. Never speaks unl;ess spoken to. A certified drone.

PASSIVITY
1. Seldom answers questions before the questions are finished.
2. Ususally willing to wait, even if it seems like an eternity.
3. Never has the need to interject into a conversation, Mostly has nothing
relevant to say.

II Some neurotypicality must be expressed by age 7
III Neurotypicality must be expressed in two or more setting (e.g. at school/work
and at home.)
IV There must be clear evidence for significant normalness in social, school, or
work functioning.
V The symptoms must never occur during the course of an IRS audit,
Superbowl Sunday, or when dealing with your mother-in-law.

Based on these criteria, three types of ASPD are identified:

1. ASPD Combined type. If both criteria 1A and 1B are met for the last 6
months,
2. ASPD predominantly inactive type if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is
not met for the past 6 months,
3. ASPD predominantly passive Type is Criterion 1B is met, but
Criterion 1A is not met for the past 6 months,

ME

Last edited by speedo; 08-30-06 at 08:38 PM..
Old 08-30-06, 08:27 PM

Correct. I got the order of the articles switched.

ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADDmom
Speedo,
Unless I am understanding this reference incorrectly, the first source states that these are discounted theories. After reading the article it confirms socio-economic status as not being a cause. The other seems to disagree but is more than 20 years older. I added emphasis.

End of that article states:
Conclusion – The multi-factorial etiology of PDD
  • Obstetric complications: The research findings suggest that complications of pregnancy and labor and delivery occur more often in children with PDDs than in children without a diagnosed PDD. This supports previous research which found that adverse obstetrical events are found at an increased frequency in children with autistic spectrum disorders.11
  • Environmental exposures: The study indicates that maternal tobacco use, residence near chemical or electric plants, and consumption of fish, which may contain methylmercury, could be contributing factors in the development of PDD.
  • Genetics: The finding that children with a PDD were significantly more likely to have a relative with a diagnosed PDD or PDD-like symptoms in this study supported other research which has established the role of genetics in development of a PDD.2,4
Main Point: Our results support the recent theory that development of a PDD is multi-factorial in nature and may be related to a number of environmental factors.1

There is not a date on this article that I could find, but many references are dated 2002, 2001. Compared to the article and study listed below, that is a very long time between studies and some researchers would not consider a 20 year-old study as recent enough to be used in a literature review for a current study. Recent is often considered within the last 5 to at most 10 years. Not hard and fast but generally, depending on they type of research-historical research does not count here.

This is only the abstract-the full text is not available on ERIC. Pulished in 1980. A more recent study would be interesting to read!

RADD