ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-01-11, 04:21 PM
Jr Member

TroyADD is on a distinguished road
Works great, then boom! Feels like death.

Hi all

I have dealt with ADD all of my life and I have gotten by pretty ok. After 10 years of trying to get a bachelors degree I thought perhaps it was time to cave and try medication to help me to be able to focus. I've been prescribed 20mg Adderall XR, which is absolutely amazing! I don't really like the rush it gives and the drugginess feeling of it, but I can actually focus on my studies, while it's working .... then about 6 hours after taking it comes the worst crash imaginable. Worse than any hangover I ever experience back when I used to drink alcohol. I get dizzy, I have difficulty speaking and thinking, my eyes are bloodshot, I look and feel awful for about 3-4 hours. All I can do during that time is lie in bed. Then, after it passes, everything is back to baseline.

The first day I took it I was worried that it would be too strong or do something weird so I dumped the little balls on a piece of paper and took only 1/2 of them, with so many little balls in a capsule probability says that I got 50% instant release and 50% non-instant. Then 6 hours later came the crash, it was terrible! I took the remaining 1/2 at that point and it smoothed everything back out and I actually didn't feel any of the druggy feeling that I felt initially which was really nice. I just felt focused and calm. I didn't sleep well that night though but I did not experience any second crash.

The second day I wanted to know what would happen if I only took 1/2 the pill in the morning and see how the crash was. I ate a pretty big breakfast along with my medication and that helped to even out the initial kick so I didn't feel so speedy. I accomplished a lot, I was very effecient. 8 hours later the crash started, just in time for my wife to come home and find me looking like a mess, she was pretty concerned. 4 hours later everything was back to normal and I slept well this night.

Today I woke up feeling refreshed and I had a difficult time deciding if I should take my medication. I reasoned that perhaps even 10mg was too high for me and I should take 5mg. At 5mg I did not get anything done, my immediate response was the crash. I went from feeling fine to crashing immediately.

A little bit about me. I am an extremely healthy male. I eat only whole foods, mostly organic. I am a runner, I train daily and run up to 50 miles per week. I train very had and fast, I average 7:00/mile over the week so my heart is very strong and my body is efficient. I do not drink alcohol, I do not smoke, I do not use any illicit drugs, I do not take any medications (other than Adderall, which so far has been a terrible experience).

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback or input. I've considered that perhaps the bad reaction today is because 5mg is just too low and my body is metabolizing it somehow different at a low dose than at the correct dose (whatever that might be). I'm reluctant to find out though, unless someone here has experienced this or has any input about what is going on.

Thank you very much for any input or help that you have! I was so very excited when I took this medication that I even registered for 3 classes next semester instead of 2, I'm feeling pretty depressed that I might have to drop that back down to 2 classes again. If you have any beneficial incite I would love to hear it, and thank you.
Old 04-01-11, 07:43 PM
Banned

Vraiment will become famous soon enough
Re: Works great, then boom! Feels like death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyADD View Post
Hi all

I have dealt with ADD all of my life and I have gotten by pretty ok. After 10 years of trying to get a bachelors degree I thought perhaps it was time to cave and try medication to help me to be able to focus. I've been prescribed 20mg Adderall XR, which is absolutely amazing! I don't really like the rush it gives and the drugginess feeling of it, but I can actually focus on my studies, while it's working .... then about 6 hours after taking it comes the worst crash imaginable. Worse than any hangover I ever experience back when I used to drink alcohol. I get dizzy, I have difficulty speaking and thinking, my eyes are bloodshot, I look and feel awful for about 3-4 hours. All I can do during that time is lie in bed. Then, after it passes, everything is back to baseline.

The first day I took it I was worried that it would be too strong or do something weird so I dumped the little balls on a piece of paper and took only 1/2 of them, with so many little balls in a capsule probability says that I got 50% instant release and 50% non-instant. Then 6 hours later came the crash, it was terrible! I took the remaining 1/2 at that point and it smoothed everything back out and I actually didn't feel any of the druggy feeling that I felt initially which was really nice. I just felt focused and calm. I didn't sleep well that night though but I did not experience any second crash.

The second day I wanted to know what would happen if I only took 1/2 the pill in the morning and see how the crash was. I ate a pretty big breakfast along with my medication and that helped to even out the initial kick so I didn't feel so speedy. I accomplished a lot, I was very effecient. 8 hours later the crash started, just in time for my wife to come home and find me looking like a mess, she was pretty concerned. 4 hours later everything was back to normal and I slept well this night.

Today I woke up feeling refreshed and I had a difficult time deciding if I should take my medication. I reasoned that perhaps even 10mg was too high for me and I should take 5mg. At 5mg I did not get anything done, my immediate response was the crash. I went from feeling fine to crashing immediately.

A little bit about me. I am an extremely healthy male. I eat only whole foods, mostly organic. I am a runner, I train daily and run up to 50 miles per week. I train very had and fast, I average 7:00/mile over the week so my heart is very strong and my body is efficient. I do not drink alcohol, I do not smoke, I do not use any illicit drugs, I do not take any medications (other than Adderall, which so far has been a terrible experience).

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback or input. I've considered that perhaps the bad reaction today is because 5mg is just too low and my body is metabolizing it somehow different at a low dose than at the correct dose (whatever that might be). I'm reluctant to find out though, unless someone here has experienced this or has any input about what is going on.

Thank you very much for any input or help that you have! I was so very excited when I took this medication that I even registered for 3 classes next semester instead of 2, I'm feeling pretty depressed that I might have to drop that back down to 2 classes again. If you have any beneficial incite I would love to hear it, and thank you.
Great job detailing everything, it makes easier to provide advice.

8:00 am - give 10mg XR
2:00pm - give 10mg XR
7:00pm - give either 5mg IR booster OR 20mg famotidine to speed reuptake OR 100mg Caffeine (half a tea cup).

You did very good to split dose in half but you need to take it 5:50h apart from first one and possibly finish it off in the evening with a booster.
Old 04-01-11, 07:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,039 Times in 3,008 Posts
metzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant futuremetzfanaz has a brilliant future

Hi Troy,

You should go talk to your doctor about what and when to take your Adderall. I am kind of going through the same thing myself and had to go see mine yesterday to find out what was going on. They should be able to give you whatever you need. Hang in there man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyADD View Post
Hi all

I'm right below the horizon"

- Boss Of Me ~ TMBG
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-11, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why your taking a XR capsule in half. If the dose is too strong I'd consult a doctor to lower it, however, in theory if you have a 10mg xr pill - 5mg is released during the course of 4 hours and the other 5mg is then released over the next 4 hours. Make sure you drink alot of water on this medication, I drink about 1-2 liters a day as it dehydrates me bad.
Old 04-02-11, 05:32 PM
Banned

Ninja has a spectacular aura aboutNinja has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatality View Post
I don't understand why your taking a XR capsule in half. If the dose is too strong I'd consult a doctor to lower it, however, in theory if you have a 10mg xr pill - 5mg is released during the course of 4 hours and the other 5mg is then released over the next 4 hours. Make sure you drink alot of water on this medication, I drink about 1-2 liters a day as it dehydrates me bad.
He halves his dose into 2x XR doses and takes them apart to broaden the duration and avoid his horrible crash. It has 3 main purposes:

1) increase the duration
2) lowering the crash, if any, by scoring a lower average blood levels of amphetamine.
3) Increasing tolerance unfortunately. Price to pay.

Last edited by APSJ; 04-03-11 at 07:59 PM..
Old 04-02-11, 11:46 PM

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can tell the difference between all those little balls and divide them equally between the ones that release first and the ones that release later, then you're not really splitting your XR dose in half. It might be close enough, but really, the best course of action if a medication is working poorly or affecting you unpleasantly is to let the doctor know so changes can be made.
Old 04-03-11, 12:28 AM
Jr Member

Yes, I agree that if I felt the medication worked for me I certainly would talk to the doctor to have my medications changed. At the moment though I've only tried taking them 3 times, 1st time was 2x10mg, second day 1x10mg, third day 1x5mg. I haven't had any Adderall for ~40 hours now and I'm still feeling the terrible effects. I'm mostly wondering if anyone has had this happen and if it passed, but as it is 4 hours of clarity are not worth 40 hours of crash.

At 5mg I'm just very nervous and anxious and at 20mg I can't sleep at all and after the 4 hour mark I go from very focused to non-functional. I think that unfortunately this drug does not work for me, most people here do not seem to have the same experience with it that I have had. I was so hopeful, it's really disappointing to me, I wish it worked better for my body chemistry.

Oh well, thanks for the replies everyone. =)
Old 04-03-11, 12:38 AM
Jr Member

Also, I don't have insurance and I live on student loans. I paid $230 for the dr's visit and a 30 day prescription of Adderall, I quite simply don't have the money to go back in and try other meds to find out if one of them works. It's unfortunate that health care is so expensive.
Old 04-03-11, 12:50 AM

Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, dear. I feel for you there. These medications are really expensive. Have you tried checking the manufacturer's website? Sometimes they have financial assistance programs for people who can't afford the prescriptions. The other thing to do is ask the doctor for samples, and don't fill the prescription until you've tried the sample and found that it works. Call around to different pharmacies, too. I had to fill a different prescription for a cat, so no insurance coverage there, and the price for the drug ranged from $30 to almost $200.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-04-11)
Old 04-03-11, 12:56 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,219 Times in 8,204 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Troy, I purchased health insurance through my school. It's not the best in the world, but it is fairly decent. My copays are about 10 bucks for generic. Have you looked into what your school offers you.

I know that health insurance is expensive....
ADHDTigger (04-04-11), Amtram (04-03-11)
Old 04-03-11, 02:20 AM
Jr Member

I have considered school health insurance but it would cost me more per month than just paying for a prescription out of pocket. My doctor is willing to write me a prescription every month and let me just pick it up from the receptionists so I don't have to go in every month and pay. There doesn't appear to be an assistance program for Adderall, I think it has gone over to Vyvanse.

I think I figured out what's going on with the Adderall though, I am just super super sensitive to it. I've never taken stimulants of any sort before, I can't even recall the last time that I had caffeine, it's been a few years. I think that the combination of being an endurance athlete and just my general body chemistry and insanely high metabolism make me hyper-sensitive.

I took just a few beads out of the pill a couple of hours ago and chewed them up, I'm guessing 2mg. It has worked wonderfully! I don't feel all "cracked out" I just feel focused and calm, like I was expecting I should feel on the medication. My Physics homework is going great.

I am going to make a dr's appointment to see if he will give me a prescription for whatever the lowest mg dextroamphetamine is available. I'll just cut it in half and make my own XR version. I'd like to get rid of this L-amphetamine crap that I've read makes me feel speedy, I just want the mental clarity.

Well, very interesting. I think the first 20mg dose just left me jacked for a couple of days. If you guys see any skinny, high metabolism, endurance athletes in here complaining of hyper-sensitivity point them to this thread.

Thanks again for the responses!
Old 04-03-11, 10:31 AM
Banned

ADDaZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post
Unless you can tell the difference between all those little balls and divide them equally between the ones that release first and the ones that release later, then you're not really splitting your XR dose in half. It might be close enough, but really, the best course of action if a medication is working poorly or affecting you unpleasantly is to let the doctor know so changes can be made.
It is statistically unlikely to obtain a noticeable difference (above 5%) of the orange and white bids between the split samples as long as the 2 samples have been split evenly eye-wise.

Splitting the dose is a standard gaussian curve of probability. The highest probability is that there is the same number of white/orange bids in each sample. The x axis is the standard deviation and the area under the curve is the probability of obtaining such a variation.

I know you are just trying to prevent people from tapering with their medication but the argument you gave lacks accuracy.
Old 04-03-11, 10:58 AM

My XR does not have two different colored beads. Splitting them that way would still be a crap shoot.

Adderall XR utilizes the MicrotrolŽ delivery system to achieve the extended-release mechanism. This delivery system incorporates two beads: the first type of bead dissolves immediately and the second type releases four hours later. Maximum plasma concentration is achieved in seven hours, compared to regular Adderall IR (immediate-release) which reaches maximum plasma concentration within three hours.

I've seen people report here that they've been smacked silly by doses as low as 5mg, and others who are doing fine on 60mg. If someone with a low tolerance just randomly splits, say, a 20mg capsule, then one dose that's 7mg immediate release and 3mg delayed is going to have a very different experience from the next day when the proportions are reversed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-04-11), thai-nitty (04-03-11)
Old 04-03-11, 05:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
If you don't understand why do you post? To add to the confusion? He halves his dose into 2x XR doses and takes them apart to broaden the duration and avoid his horrible crash. It has 3 main purposes:

1) increase the duration
2) lowering the crash, if any, by scoring a lower average blood levels of amphetamine.
3) Increasing tolerance unfortunately. Price to pay.
Do you understand how XR works? Word of advice, if your going to add rebuttal to this conversation at least know what your talking about. XR bead capsules are bigger than the instant release so they dissolve at a later time...

I said I don't understand why he splits his XR in half as if he swallows the larger XR capsules without the pill capsule it is simply just dissolving faster in his stomach acting like a instant release.

Enjoy your suspension. Maybe you'll get your medication raised high enough to where you can comprehend what your reading.
Old 04-03-11, 06:28 PM
Banned

ADDaZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My XR does not have two different colored beads. Splitting them that way would still be a crap shoot.

Adderall XR utilizes the MicrotrolŽ delivery system to achieve the extended-release mechanism. This delivery system incorporates two beads: the first type of bead dissolves immediately and the second type releases four hours later. Maximum plasma concentration is achieved in seven hours, compared to regular Adderall IR (immediate-release) which reaches maximum plasma concentration within three hours.

I've seen people report here that they've been smacked silly by doses as low as 5mg, and others who are doing fine on 60mg. If someone with a low tolerance just randomly splits, say, a 20mg capsule, then one dose that's 7mg immediate release and 3mg delayed is going to have a very different experience from the next day when the proportions are reversed.
Your will to discourage people from tapering with their medication is appreciated. However, it is statistically unlikely to obtain an heterogeneous sample composition when splitting Adderall. The bids are many and considered well mixed. Once can trace the gaussian function of standard deviation and upon derivative calculation, variations of more than 5% composition are below 10% probability and variations of more than 10% composition are below 1% probability.

Quote:
If someone with a low tolerance just randomly splits, say, a 20mg capsule, then one dose that's 7mg immediate release and 3mg delayed is going to have a very different experience from the next day when the proportions are reversed.
I didn't calculate it but I assume the probability of that to be one in a billion.