ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 10-18-04, 06:41 PM

silenced_666 is on a distinguished road
Questions on medication

Hey you guys, I'm new here and I hope I can find some answers here. I decided to do my psychology project on ADHD because my sister has it and has been taking medication. My partner for this project also has ADD and has taken medication for it. Well, anyways, I want to see if medication really makes a difference for those who have ADHD and ADD. It would be awesome if at least 5 of you could take a little bit of time and answer some questions for me. Also, I don't know much about ADHD other than how my sister acts, so if there's some other things that you guys think would be helpful to prove my hypothesis on my project, that'd be great. Thanks so much!

BEHAVIOR WITHOUT MEDICATION:
-Are you easily distracted?
-Do you find it hard to pay attention?
-Are you hyperactive?
-Do you tend to be aggressive or violent?
-Do you daydream alot?
-How is your selfesteem?
-How are your social interactions with friends and family?

BEHAVIOR WITH MEDICATION:
-Are you as distracted?
-Are you able to concentrate better?
-Are you hyperactive or do you feel as if you have no energy at all?
-Do you daydream more or less?
-Has your selfesteem improved or worsened?
-Have your social interactions changed?
-In general, how does your medication make you feel? Ex. does it make you feel sick, sad, tired, do you like it, do you hate it, etc.
Old 10-18-04, 07:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
here's my two cents

I'm 25, male, white, a graduate of a four-year college, from and living in Massachusetts (these were the kinds of questions we always had to get answers to when I was doing surveys for my Sociology major in college).

BEHAVIOR WITHOUT MEDICATION:
-Are you easily distracted? Yes. Mostly distracted by my own thoughts rather than outside stimuli; my physical state issues such as my itchy skin, nasal allergies, and indigestion were also constant sources of distraction. Ironically, having music playing or having someone in the room could actually help me concentrate by providing a stable, not too flashy object for my wandering attention to fix on, so I could easily switch back to the task at hand while I was being distracted (which is inevitable).
-Do you find it hard to pay attention? Yes.
-Are you hyperactive? Yes. I mean, running around and everything, at least at home. In public, I can control myself, but it is a bit of an effort.
-Do you tend to be aggressive or violent? No, sometimes I can get pretty enraged, but I hold it in. Of course, this is something that's very important to me, so I can't say how different I'd be in this regard if I had a different set of values.
-Do you daydream alot? Constantly. I am more often daydreaming than not daydreaming; it takes the place of thought to a large extent.
-How is your selfesteem? Hard to say--I tend to be depressed, so I take a pessimistic view of everyone, including myself. I feel less capable. My self-esteem is a bit lower off medication, but it's more complicated than that. In reality, off medication I am constantly failing people and cannot be stable enough to be the same person from moment to moment, so just objectively I can't say I'm as productive a person off medication, and in that sense, my self-esteem is much lower.
-How are your social interactions with friends and family? Functional, but barely. After years of hard work learning basic social skills, I can handle it, but I cannot strike up relationships with people easily. Very hard to maintain, much less grow, any kind of relationship, even casual acquaintances.

BEHAVIOR WITH MEDICATION:
-Are you as distracted? Much, much less so.
-Are you able to concentrate better? Yes, not a big problem.
-Are you hyperactive or do you feel as if you have no energy at all? Neither. Hyperactivity is not about having too much energy. It's about having an uncontrollable urge to move around. It's not energy because you can't use your hyperactivity to do anything productive, the way you can with energy. Plus, some of my most hyperactive times have historically been when I was the most tired and so the least able to restrain myself.
-Do you daydream more or less? Much, much, less. I control my daydreams, not the other way around.
-Has your selfesteem improved or worsened? See above. The short answer is yes, somewhat.
-Have your social interactions changed? It's much easier to make eye contact, listen to people, respond appropriately, smile, and do the basics of social interaction. I still need to improve my relationship-building skills--I've only been on the medication three weeks.
-In general, how does your medication make you feel? Ex. does it make you feel sick, sad, tired, do you like it, do you hate it, etc. It makes me feel calm, much less anxious, much less depressed, not quite happy--but you can't expect a pill to do that. I feel like I am in the here and now, not twenty minutes ago or the future, but NOW. No side effects. If you're having side effects with one medication, you can simply change to another. I started out with Ritalin which made me feel very irritatable and had lots of ups and downs, ditto Concerta. Now I'm on Adderall XR and it's all smooth sailing.