ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 11-05-04, 02:54 AM

AJLN is on a distinguished road
Newly diagnosed Attention Deficit Disorder - First week of treatment

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed with add and was prescribed medication this week to start my treatment. I searched previous postings looking for information from people who started treatment to get an idea what I might expect. Well I didnt really find exactly what I was looking for.

So I decided to give everyone a daily update for the first week plus of the effects on me. So here goes...

Tuesday Nov. 2 2004 - Day 1: Total 1 dose-5mg
I started with one dose only of 5mg of Dexedrine. I was a bit disappointed with the effect since I fell asleep at my desk at work just after an hour of taking the dose.

Wed Nov 3, - Day 2: Total 2 doses 5mg each
  • First dose 5mg at 9:45,
  • Second dose 5mg 2pm.
I was awake and alert the whole day at work but a wave of exhaustion hit me when it wore off at around 6pm. Thoughts: Nice that I was alert. I wonder what tomorrow will be like.

Thurs Nov4 - Day 3: Total 3 doses 5mg each
  • First dose 9:15,
  • Second dose 1:30pm, dose wore off at 4:30pm just after 3 hours. I literally konked out at my desk.
  • Third dose I didnt take until 6:30 because I had class (MBA Part-time) until 10:00.
Thoughts: While I was alert and awake most of the day, I am sort of becoming a bit skeptical that this medication or any medication for that matter will enable me to do all (or some) of the things that people say it could.

Friday I start the first dose with 7.5mg. I will let everyone know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to AJLN For This Useful Post:
green_cash (11-07-08)
Old 11-08-04, 01:33 AM

First week of treatment cont...

I thought that I could edit my own posts so that I can update them each day instead on posting a reply. Anyhow...

Friday Nov. 5 - Day 4: Total 3 doses, 7.5mg first dose and 5mg second and third
  • First dose 7.5mg at 9:00
  • Second dose 5mg at 1:00
  • Third dose 5mg at 5:00
Again I was awake and alert the whole day but today I was also calm while experiencing a very stressful situation. I was preparing for a meeting, ran out of time and ended up finishing the material 20 minutes into a meeting that I was running. Everyone was sitting and waiting for me. Normally, I would have been so incredibly stressed and miserable over that situation but I was totaly calm.
Thoughts: It was good to see that I was awake, alert, and calm but there was still no change in my comprehension level and so on. It seems that the results were for the most part physical in nature in that I was awake, alert, and not stressed but these are not the reasons why I am taking the meds. I am taking it to deal with my inability to focus, constant frustration, slow comprehension, and so on. These things seem to me to be more mental in nature and not physical.

Sat. Nov. 6 - Day 5: Total 3 doses first and second 7.5 third 5mg
I started taking the first dose only at 11am. Today the results were very different from the previous days. Although I was still awake and alert, I felt very uncomfortable with the meds. I just didnt feel great at all. When I tried to yawn I couldnt, it felt as if I was being prevented. In the evening I couldnt think straight and I became highly irritated. I didnt want to do anything with my family. I felt fine when it wore off later at night.
Thoughts: I was really surprised at the effects. It was such a let down.

Sunday Nov. 7 - Day 6: Total 3 doses all three 7.5mg each
It was good to feel at least like I did on Friday. Maybe I was just not feeling good on Sat. The results were the same as Friday, alert, awake, calm, however, it was good that I didnt feel as if I was on some sort of med like I did on Friday.
Thoughts: I am not sure what's supposed to happen but I am not near getting the results that I should be expecting.
Old 11-13-04, 08:16 PM

Mon Nov 8 - Day 7: First dose 10mg Second and Third dose 7.5mg each

Similar results from Sunday.
Thoughts: It is hard to test the medication when I don't have more meetings. Also, I study at night but by then the medication wears off already.

Tuesday Nov. 9 - Day 8: 10mg first and second dose and 7.5mg third dose

I spent the day doing physical work so it helped as far as not feeling fatigued. Had to do a lot of running back and forth it was good that I performed rather calmly and didn't become stressed. Unfortunately, I fell asleep in my night class just an hour after taking my evening dose.

Updated my Doc on the results of the first week. He asked me if I have been able to focus better. I told him that I wasn't sure. He suggested raising the dosage the following morning to 12.5mg for the first dose second dose 10mg third dose 7.5mg.

Thoughts: Its hard to tell again if it works if I am not sitting and studying or working. Tomorrow we will see since I have another meeting and I have to work on a project.

Wed Nov. 10 - Day 9: 12.5mg first dose, 10mg second and 7.5mg third
The morning went well, although, possibly due to the increase in dose, I could feel that I was on the med. I had a two hour meeting and I was able to stay alert, awake, and pay attention to the details of what was being discussed. However, after the meeting when I had to continue working on project materials I seemed to be thinking and working as I normally do. I began getting frustrated and eventually fed up with trying to compile and compare the different information into one spreadsheet.

Thurs Nov. 11 - Day 10: 12.5mg first, 10mg second and third

Dozed off during staff meeting just an hour after taking the first dose. it is quite possible that this was a result of not getting adequate sleep at night. I noticed that the less sleep I have the night before or the more exhausted I am the less effective the med.

I had a meeting in the afternoon after taking the second dose and it seemed to show its effectiveness in that I was able to jot down all the comments and recommendations for changes on a document that I was working on. Normally I forget the second word of a comment and I have to ask them to repeat it. At the meeting my boss was discussing with someone else the different changes that were necessary while I was writing all the comments down. I was surprised when he turned to me and said "did you get all that?" I responded with a "yes". Then he said "you got all that down?" I responded and said "yes, whats the big deal" So it seems that he might have noticed some changes. It was the second time he was surprised. I usually dont get everything down the first time.

Thoughts: Well it definitely seems to be doing something but I dont really know if its the right dose and if something more should be happening as a result. Sometimes I question if I really need any med. I will have to see some significant changes to justify myself using this stuff.

Friday Nov. 12 Day 11: 12.5mg first and second skipped third

Nothing significant to report except that I called the doc after the second dose. I told him that I think this are some positive results but I am not sure what I should really expect. We decided to meet in a week and to contine the doses at 12.5mg each.

From this point on I will provide weekly updates instead of daily.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-04, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Well just to tell you my results from dex to give you a little something to compare to

It makes it so I think clearly and stay with one thought instead of having multiple thoughts .

It does not increase my comprehension level as I dont think anything would be able to do that for anyone, as I feel the ability to comprhend something will be based on the persons interest in the paticular subject......

If Im not interested in it I sure wont comprhend the meaning of it.......

Dex also makes me very calm and able to handle stressful situations better, and if I take to high a doesage , I get so calm that the house could be on fire and I would walk to the nearest exit as opposed to running as I am too laid back to stress myself out.......

That is probably an untrue statement regarding a house fire but its the point I want to make.............

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 11-19-04, 03:28 AM

I really appreciate your reply. I would say that I get exactly the same results as you've described. The only problem is that it seems effective only the first and second day my dose goes up. After that my body seems to get used to it except that it keeps me awake.

This week has been one of my most stressful with school and work and it was incredibly frustrating as well. I'm working day and school night and it still takes ages to write assignments and prepare presentations. Something that would take someone an hour to do takes me several. Sentences just dont come out. This is one of the initial reasons I started taking the med. But if its just supposed to help focus and stay alert. I do that already. I can focus very well on certain tasks and issues that need to be resolved. I am visiting my doc soon to clarify what to expect.

My referring doctor described a non-ADD person as someone working at a big desk with everything neatly organized. An ADDer would have a small desk disorganized with things constantly falling off. He indicated that meds would help get things/ideas/sentences/ from my brain to my pen/keyboard.
Old 11-21-04, 03:06 AM

Update for November 20 - 2004

After meeting with my doc the following was discussed and decided:
  • Dexedrine wears off sooner if you have a faster metabolism
  • My expectations are very important and reasonable and will indicate if the meds work
  • Therefore I have been prescribed with 150mg of wellbutrin once a day for the first week moving to twice a day the second week.
  • This is in addition to my doses of dexedrine at 7.5mg per dose three times a day
  • The goal is that I will be...
    • more organized
    • more efficient
    • able to finish tasks
    • able to prioritize
  • I should see a significant difference in about 8-10 days
Now here are some other questions I had with the answers following.

Q: How do I know that I even need this in the first place maybe I am fine? I am doing my MBA, however, it does take way too long for me to formulate sentences and its extremely frustrating.

A: Your inability to formulate sentences is something that needs to be resolved as it affects your performance and efficiency. Something that takes you four or five hours to do now should only take you an hour with the right meds.

Q: But I've managed pretty well up until now and I can focus on tasks even though it takes time to do. So maybe I dont have a problem. I think I have been performing fairly well.

A: Because you have had this problem all your life you've learned to compensate for your disorder. Based on your past, your grades, and your family it seems that your are actually quite intelligient but this disorder has prevented you from maximizing your abilities.

I start monday with 150mg of wellbutrin.
Old 12-05-04, 03:20 AM

Dec. 3rd Welbutrin combined with Dexedrine Day 12

It seems that the welbutrin had no affect after 12 days. Met with my doc and he decided to keep Welbutrin 150mg morning and evening but to increase Dexedrine to 3 pills morning (15mg) and afternoon and 2 1/2 pills in evening. I am to try this for the next week and a half.

Here are some of the questions I had with my meeting with Doc

Q: At first when I took dexedrine I felt some positive changes but as the days passed it seemed that my body just got used to it and the effect wore off. Is that possible?

A: Dexedrine doesnt work like that at all. Its not like an abused substance that one has to increase the dose to get a desired effect. What happens is you begin to adapt to the benefits and as a result you might not realize that you are operating on a slightly more productive level. So the change from day 1 to day 5 might be significant because you are starting from the bottom, however as you continue your body begins to plateua and increasing the dose wont necessarily increase the effect once you reach a certain point.
Old 12-06-04, 06:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Dexedrine has helped me greatly, but it is not a "panacea". It has helped me focus and get stuff done - it gets me off my a**! But it won't help me do what I really don't want to do. I also doubt whether it can help me with getting words down on paper. I've have "disgraphia" - a learning disability that makes it more difficult to get my thoughts down on paper - I will show more understanding of a topic verbally than I will in written form. My spelling is awfull too!
You sound very much like myself - able to hyperfocus when necessary, albeit only with topics that interest me - and I finished my MBA in '92. My marks would have been better if I had been treated for my ADHD back then, I can assure you of that!
Keep trying with the stimulants - by the sounds of it they help and I'm sure you will find the correct dosage sooner or later. Experimentation is the only way to do that, I'm afraid.
Good luck,
Greg
Old 12-07-04, 02:52 AM

lion is on a distinguished road
Very similar observations

Just Checking
Old 12-07-04, 02:54 AM

please work

Great Idea! Posting a journal that is!

I was diagnosed for about a month ago and I have been on dex for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have experienced all of the same symptoms as you except for the falling asleep during the day thing. It rarely happened to me before, but definitely not now Iím on dex. I think thatís one difference in our experience. I seem to be a little wired all the time. Especially when I take higher doses. Most of the time half of me feels calm and content and the other half feels wired.

Being assessed fro adult add and stating medication has been a really wired experience for me. Iíve been trying to figure out if I even want to be on these drugs? And if my life as a whole will be drastically better?

I stated taking dex similar to you. I started on 5 mg, once, twice then three times daily and gradually raising the dose to somewhere around 10 to 12.5 mg twice a day with 7.5 in the late afternoon.

I was supposed to go up to 12.5 mg for all three doses last week, but I felt that 12.5 mg was a little too much. I got a little wigged out on the 12.5 dose. And Iím still having issues with going to bed at night. Which is why Iím checking out the forum at 1:00 a.m. on a work night.

Iíve decided to take 10-10-7.5 mg a day until I see my doc next week.

My doc mentioned that I would probably get the most benefits at somewhere between 12.5 and 15 mg over a four hr period. From my experiences (two to be exact) with taking 12.5, Iím not sure itís helping me more. I almost think I should go back to 5-10 mg over four hrs.

As far as my experiences, I have felt some definite improvements in my ability to listen and sit still. I don't mind doing one thing for hours (unless I take too much then I a little scattered again). But I havenít seen any differences in my ability to write more clearly. I also find the meds sometimes make my head feel a little groggy. I almost sometimes feel a little more scattered now that I'm on the meds. My mind has blanked a few times while I was at work, It was weird.

For the most part, Iíve found the meds to help me and make me worse at the same time. Anyone else?

I guess I was expecting the meds to make me able to concentrate and think more clearly. It doesn't seem to be doing both right now.

I was also hoping that the meds would help me with my ability to write better. I donít mean from a structure point of view, but to help me focus more on what I am writing, and hopefully catch those mistakes that I never used to see before.

My doc originally talked to me about taking wellbutrin too. Howís that working for you? Any observations yet.

Anyway, I could go on and on. Iíve had dozens of questions since I started. Itís weird to think that youíve lived almost 30 years without being diagnosed. And now that I have been, Iím trying to figure out whatís going to be different now Iím being treated.

Please posed any thoughts you may have.

LN
Old 12-09-04, 07:24 AM

MEH is on a distinguished road
glad to see the above post

really glad to see the above post. I also was recently diagnosed and looking back on my life (all the way to childhood) I can see the symptoms were there. So I am 35 now and wondering what put me over the brink that I could no longer handle myself and focus...I also had some coping skills becasue I always knew something was up with me but never connected the dots but they are not enough alone anymore

Moving on from that I also took Dex and was "speeding", and then I had concerns if I am ADHD at all (which I really do think I am btw). So I started on Strattera (which many people don't like) but works for me. It is a non-stimulant type and takes weeks to build up in your system but seems to help. I just can't get over the fact of my reaction to dex for some reason. I recently added Welbutrin and a few nights a week Trazadone for "relaxing" and well...we will see how it goes
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
Old 12-09-04, 10:03 PM

MEH,

I'm not sure Stratera is available in Canada.
My doctor said I would probobly find welbutrin helpful as well. I used wellbutrin (zyban) to try and quit smoking a few years ago. Would it have worked by it self. what does it do for you?

Maybe I'm weird, but taking a big mix of meds seems to freak me out a bit. I guess I just question the long term effects.

LN

I just posted a new thread in Dex. under the heading "What the Dose!'

Cheers,

LN
Old 12-10-04, 12:13 PM

MEH is on a distinguished road
The long term efect are a concern, infact I called my doc today to alert her to some side affects I am now experiencing. I am being patient and open minded that none of these meds could be the solution and I may need to start on another one and wean off these. It could take a long time to find out what works.

You wrote "Iíve found the meds to help me and make me worse at the same time." I agree too. They definitly help me feel calmer, until my doc increases my dose too high. Then we cut back. Trying to find the correct dose and balance. In any event they allow me to think before I speak and act - less impulsive. Allow me to keep things in perspective. The draw back is so far all the meds seem mess up my sleep and at times (remember trying to find the dose) I feel like I need to yawn but can't get it out (sort of shortness of breath?).

Interestingly the Trazadone did not help me last night (only a few hours sleep).
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
Old 12-24-04, 12:15 PM

Gregster,

Thanks for you post. I think we have exactly the same issues. I finally finished my MBA this week after 4 years and it was an incredible stuggle. Just in case people are wondering how does someone with ADD do an MBA, well let me tell you that its not fun. It was extremely difficult. The one thing I couldnt stand hearing from people was that when they thought that they failed an exam they ended up with an "A" and I would end up with a C- when I thought I did ok. I would also be able to hyperfocus when I had to. So in the end the Dexedrine doesnt do what I was hoping. See my next post on my latest results.

Lion,

Thanks for your post also. I would always fall asleep in the middle of the day I was just surprised that I still fell asleep even after taking Dexedrine. But the truth is that I go to sleep late and only get around 5hrs sleep. As for the journal, it has helped as far as a reference for myself. As for taking wellbutrin see my next post on my latest results.
Old 12-24-04, 12:51 PM

Dexedrine Stays wellbutrin goes

Dec 17 2004: Day 26 Wellbutrin Combined with Dexedrine

Daily Dosage
First Dose: 15mg Dexdrine & 150mg Wellbutrin
Second Dose: 15mg Dexedrine
Third Dose: 12.5mg Dexedrin & 150mg Wellbutrin

After another 14 days of taking Wellbutrin with Dexedrine, 26 days in total, still with no affect, it has been decided to drop Wellbutrin altogether. Also since there has been no significant change with taking increased dosage of Dexedrine, my Doc suggested decreasing to 10mg - 12.5mg of Dexedrine three x day. The 10mg or 12.5mg is depending on whichever is more effective. I recall based on my journal that the 12.5mg made a difference on Day 10 Nov. 11. I will play around with either dose.

In my meeting with the Doc he said that there arent a hundred different treatments but only a few. So if nothing works in the end then there isnt much we could do.

He also feels that the Dexedrine has helped me although not as much as I liked it to help but certainly better than nothing. Even if it helps me stay awake at work its good.

He suggested that maybe we could try Paxil but he's not sure if that would help. I was supposed to call him this week if I am interested. He said that he really only recommends Paxil to patients who have an angry side to them. I told him that there's more about me than he knows and Paxil might not be bad.

We also talked about switching from Dexedrine to Aderall. Aderall is generally the same thing as Dexedrine but in XL form. One dose lasts about 12hrs. This taken with Dexedrine would give a longer dose coverage. Dexedrine in the morning and the Aderall in the afternoon. It tends to be a good solution for part time students who work during the day and attend classes in the evening. I am happy to say that I wont have to deal with classes now that I finished my MBA. Woohoo!!!

More updates to come.