ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-03-18, 01:28 PM

Chadjt3 is on a distinguished road
Question Is the 4-6 hours of Adderall IR start at time of consumption or...

Start when it kicks in at 30-60 minutes?
Old 07-03-18, 01:38 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,984 Times in 10,576 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 4-6 hours of Adderall IR start at time of consumption or...

From the time of consumption.

And for some people, it doesn't appear to last even 4 hours. (This has been my experience with stimulants -- whether IR or XR/ER, they rarely seem to last the full advertised time.)

Of course, your metabolism may be different and you might get less, more, or about the range advertised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (07-03-18), psychopathetic (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 02:17 PM

How long have you been on? I've been on for 6 weeks and I can't tell a difference until after 6 hours, and still can tell a small difference until 8 hours O_o
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 06:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,837 Times in 15,223 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I take adderall xr and have been on amphetamines for about 13 years. I usually can notice the medication working within an hour. Its not what I feel, but its my focus on what I have to do that I notice. I will begin tasks that I have to do, and be pretty good about following through.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (07-04-18)
Old 07-04-18, 04:32 PM

I'm the same way I only know it is working through my actions.
Old 07-14-18, 11:58 PM

unverified is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I take adderall xr and have been on amphetamines for about 13 years. I usually can notice the medication working within an hour. Its not what I feel, but its my focus on what I have to do that I notice. I will begin tasks that I have to do, and be pretty good about following through.

What are the long-term effects of stimulants? Although I feel good when it kicks in, my brain does feel worn out after it wears off. My goal is to eventually have my chemicals balanced without needing a stimulant, although it looks like that's not possible
Old 07-15-18, 03:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,837 Times in 15,223 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by unverified View Post
What are the long-term effects of stimulants? Although I feel good when it kicks in, my brain does feel worn out after it wears off. My goal is to eventually have my chemicals balanced without needing a stimulant, although it looks like that's not possible
Well there are not a whole lot of unbiased studies out there about long term stimulant effects for a variety of reasons. One of them is the ability to study people for years on stimulants is very difficult due to the fact that the commitment of the study participants over the long term is often hard to maintain. Imagine being part of a study on adderall for 10 years and think of all the things that could change in 10 years and how difficult it would be for you to manage to participate with no lapse in any results. (JMO) Also many many studies are done only on children and the same issues exist with trying to manage a study that has appropriate parameters and control groups over the long term. What I have noticed is two extremes... you will get some sources that are on an anti-stimulant crusade that rail against the dangers of adderall and cite cherry-picked sources to back it up...and you have the other side which seems to downplay in all respects that possibility that there could be any long term effects--you know how statistics can be skewed.
I have no expertise in this area as its just my opinion.

For myself like I said, I have been on stimulants for over 13 years and other than a few times where I would try alternatives to adderall, the adderall has been the best fit. The only times I didnt take it was when I was pregnant.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-18-18, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Well there are not a whole lot of unbiased studies out there about long term stimulant effects for a variety of reasons. One of them is the ability to study people for years on stimulants is very difficult due to the fact that the commitment of the study participants over the long term is often hard to maintain. Imagine being part of a study on adderall for 10 years and think of all the things that could change in 10 years and how difficult it would be for you to manage to participate with no lapse in any results. (JMO) Also many many studies are done only on children and the same issues exist with trying to manage a study that has appropriate parameters and control groups over the long term. What I have noticed is two extremes... you will get some sources that are on an anti-stimulant crusade that rail against the dangers of adderall and cite cherry-picked sources to back it up...and you have the other side which seems to downplay in all respects that possibility that there could be any long term effects--you know how statistics can be skewed.
I have no expertise in this area as its just my opinion.

For myself like I said, I have been on stimulants for over 13 years and other than a few times where I would try alternatives to adderall, the adderall has been the best fit. The only times I didnt take it was when I was pregnant.
That's what I've noticed too -- there are a lot of biased reports. That why I'm here. Because the plethora of information found through google is impossible to sort through.

But what I've noticed is that the ones saying bad things about the drug in general are the ones listening to the stories of people taking it who do not need it. Such as college students, people seeking an edge, people trying to lose weight or be more effective at the gym.

This is a huge discredit to us who need it to balance life as a whole.

Also it probably does do some damage to our dopamine bank, but it is in no way unrepairable. Peoples brains repair off of most drugs - including meth. Inhalants are the exception and in no what related to the chemistry of stimulants.

Let me end my rant with this. There are a small portion of good doctors who believe that overtime stimulants actually teach the brain! There belief is you will be better once weaned off of it than you were before ever having it! The belief is in that the stimulants teach your mi d habits... and that when you ween off those habits dont go away.