ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 12-08-17, 12:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Nothing works out for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax988 View Post
it definitely works for everyone, in all other aspects of life too.
but being self confident/assertive/resilient and being potentially attractive are 2 different ballgames as far as my experience went. The former requires you to take charge and change for the best which is necessary.And ofcourse,it helps.
Is the assertion, self-confidence thing where you struggle then?

Obviously--I have tremendous struggle in that area, and a lot of it cannot be helped in my case. There are some improvements that could be made but I fear it's all too little, too late.. I'm in my 30s with more than a decade of social avoidance going.
Old 12-09-17, 07:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,560 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman55 View Post
I have always said on this topic, I want to be wrong. I welcome being wrong on these things, but (at the same time) it's also very hard to be convinced as I am rigid and cynical as a rule. What I have personally seen shows that conventional avenues of success (good credentials or good income among them), tend to be associated with greater success in the dating/mating game; and, it must be said, the opposite appears linked with lack of romantic success. That's what I have seen, with my own eyes.
You say you welcome being wrong yet anytime someone tries to share with you that they think your view is skewed you counter with how its not.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-09-17)
Old 12-09-17, 07:47 AM

Thanked 32,253 Times in 14,568 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have always said on this topic, I want to be wrong. I welcome being wrong on these things, but (at the same time) it's also very hard to be convinced as I am rigid and cynical as a rule. What I have personally seen shows that conventional avenues of success (good credentials or good income among them), tend to be associated with greater success in the dating/mating game; and, it must be said, the opposite appears linked with lack of romantic success. That's what I have seen, with my own eyes.

That is, unless I am deceived. Yes, folks repeatedly tell me I am wrong or oversimplifying it. Maybe that it is the case. Maybe my limited life-experience might be too limited, or maybe I'm subconsciously drawing from the most obvious examples of success in real life, as well as being fooled by the fraudulence of media/social media about what constitutes a winner, and so on. Perhaps that's the case; I'd like it to be.
have you considered that your depiction of women as money grubbing and status seeking is demeaning and disrespectful? why would a self respecting woman want to be with someone who only sees her as a degrading stereotype?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-09-17), OyVeyKitty (12-09-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-17, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Nowhere on this site have I ever written this applies to "all women." I am speaking in generalities. I am not even aware of a broader political context to this--or anything else really--which nonetheless keeps being brought up anyway. I speak only from individual experience going by what I've seen in my own everyday life, what I've seen with my online dating experience, studies and other data available on the topic. Possibly all this is insufficient given I'm a social avoidant, and lack a solid grounding.

I'm aware some of it it could be seen as offensive, but have also said it's not a conscious effort to do so. I try to be honest about what I've seen, and in so doing, hope to challenge it as well. I feel as if some of the examples that have been given are helpful, whilst others are well-intended but probably don't reflect the plight of a lesser-abled kind of guy.

There could also be a problem with communication style. Maybe the idea is if a delicate topic is going to be addressed, there's a certain kind of abstract way to address the issue which is more palatable than the only way I know how, which is to speak directly about my own experience and observations.

And finally, maybe I am just a terrible and hateful person but not fully aware of it as yet; that's another possibility, which I'm saying without a hint of sarcasm. So maybe you lot are right. I think there are a lot of angles here.
Old 12-10-17, 06:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,560 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nowhere on this site have I ever written this applies to "all women." I am speaking in generalities. I am not even aware of a broader political context to this--or anything else really--which nonetheless keeps being brought up anyway. I speak only from individual experience going by what I've seen in my own everyday life, what I've seen with my online dating experience, studies and other data available on the topic. Possibly all this is insufficient given I'm a social avoidant, and lack a solid grounding.
You say it doesnt apply to all women yet you still generalize and talk about "studies" and other data that backs up what you think yet you havent shared any of this info.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 12-10-17, 07:06 AM

OyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to beholdOyVeyKitty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I'm aware some of it it could be seen as offensive, but have also said it's not a conscious effort to do so. I try to be honest about what I've seen, and in so doing, hope to challenge it as well. I feel as if some of the examples that have been given are helpful, whilst others are well-intended but probably don't reflect the plight of a lesser-abled kind of guy.

There could also be a problem with communication style. Maybe the idea is if a delicate topic is going to be addressed, there's a certain kind of abstract way to address the issue which is more palatable than the only way I know how, which is to speak directly about my own experience and observations.

And finally, maybe I am just a terrible and hateful person but not fully aware of it as yet; that's another possibility, which I'm saying without a hint of sarcasm. So maybe you lot are right. I think there are a lot of angles here.
You don't come across as terrible and hateful at all, just hurt and (understandably) upset by it. I think the underlying problem here is that there's some cognitive bias and it's being reinforced by cultural memes and misinterpretation of available data. This is what I was trying to convey with my story, but it didn't come across very well apparently. :/ Studying something as complicated as human behavior requires a much deeper look than just quickly glancing over some numbers. Just like with any other science you have to compare your data with other data and ask why you are seeing what you are when there appear to be patterns.

So, let me give you an example. If you are looking at the statistics, you must really examine the wording and ask yourself what might have made someone respond one way or another. You can't have black and white thinking when interpreting human behavior! One of the more commonly misinterpreted statistics is "percent of women who find money to be very important in a relationship." This is based on a very poorly constructed question ("do you find money to be very important in a relationships?") which lends itself to easy misinterpretation. Personally, I answer the question with "yes, I absolutely do find money to be very important in a relationship," for example.

You are missing the "why" and "how" of these women. In my case, I have always answered it with a resounding yes, because I have no interest in dating someone who is careless with money. It's not about the amount of money, but how they handle the money they do have. This same question could be asked of men, but replace the word money with sex. Most humans do find sex important in relationships, but due to social biases, many would interpret the result as appalling and say that "generally speaking, men are perverts who are really only looking for sex."

If those questions were turned around and only statistics of "sex is important in relationships" were given for women and "money is important in relationships" were given for men, and the numbers were the exact same, would you interpret them to mean the same thing? I'm pretty sure the numbers really would look very similar from both sides, by the way, especially if the statisticians asking the questions were specific about what they really mean. This is a common problem with statistics based on self-reporting, you have to construct your questions very carefully or you will find your results strongly skewed. It's something frequently abused in politics, but in the case of this example from a common statistics site I think it's a genuine mistake by someone who didn't really know what they were doing.

Does this help you at all? Feel free to bring up any data you feel important in this discussion and we can discuss it and see what's going on with it. These forums have a pretty average spread of men and women so there's healthy input from both sides.