ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-12, 09:59 AM

Enigma2712 is on a distinguished road
Question Head injury and ADD. Is it possible

Crazy question. Is it possible to develop ADD symptoms after a significant head injury?
In 2005 I was the rear gunner in a convoy and got electrocuted on the left side of my head by a low wire in Iraq. Since then my personality changed for the better but in ways for the worse or annoying. I used to be quiet and focused. No one could break my focus on a task once my mind was set. After the injury I started talkin alot, I was and am easily distracted by the dumest things. This makes concentration in college and daily life very difficult.

The good part of being electrocuted is that I comprehend alot faster and can respond to people quickly. In the past it took me a while to comprehend and respond to the point people would think I was retarded or something.

A bit more of who I am; I was born three months early and had a language learning dissability that I eventually over came to a vast degree. I learned to read later than the average kid but once I did I was able to catch up to the other students on paper that is. My verbal capabilitys were not as great, I would stutter alot and would forget words so they would come out odd. To this day some words come out sounding off but otherwise they come out correctly. LOL.
Thank you to any who may have some insite on my question.
Old 06-10-12, 11:53 AM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Re: Head injury and ADD. Is it possible

Yes, you can. In this case, it would be called Traumatic Brain Injury, not ADHD.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following User Says Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
Enigma2712 (06-10-12)
Old 06-10-12, 12:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

starrykitten will become famous soon enough

Definitely possible.

I had a significant head injury when I was 2 and have mental health problems all my life. My doctors have sometimes wondered if that was responsible.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-12, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,929 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

TBI is very similar to ADD so even if that's what you have you can find good information for managing and self understanding here too. So, Welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Enigma2712 (06-10-12)
Old 06-10-12, 12:28 PM

finalcall has a spectacular aura aboutfinalcall has a spectacular aura about

yes, TBI affecting a particular area of the brain will have specific behavioral and cognitive changes, depending on the area of the brain that is injured.
The Following User Says Thank You to finalcall For This Useful Post:
Enigma2712 (06-10-12)
Old 06-10-12, 02:23 PM

Enigma2712 is on a distinguished road

Hmm thanks guys:-) TBI is a very real possability. Now if the VA would just varify it instead of saying I seem fine that would be awesome. Currently my "wizard" is letting my try ADD meds to see if they help with my lack of attention/ recognition of infomation when needed. I am currently on day five of trying ritalin though irronically i havent had class yet. The day i got it i was done with classes for the day and the next day i had a test so I have no way of judging if it helped me with my attention. Before the ritalin he had me trying anti depressants. The two i tried were welburtan and effecor. The first made me an ******* the second lethargic.
So far i think the ritalin is working. I am not rambling and over talking people and i feel..... Normal like the way i used to. The only thing is it is the extended release so it takes a while to "kick in", then when it wears off i'm back to my old self of rambling and zoning out and finding trees and other things very entertaining. Hahahaha I try to laugh about this to not get down about the situation.

So I guess my next question to the forum at large is. Are ADD meds able to help with TBI if that is what i do in fact have? And are there different types of ritalin that would last the whole day. My day starts at 6 am until 10 pm. Though I do not need it to last until 10, maybe 8 at the lastest.

Thank you again :-)
Old 06-10-12, 09:00 PM

finalcall has a spectacular aura aboutfinalcall has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about the meds, but I do know that rehab therapies can help TBI patients a great deal. Ask your doc about rehab for brain injury and see what he recommends.
Old 06-10-12, 09:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you could have went from Inattentive ADHD to hyperactive ADHD. That sounded funnier in my head. Sorry.

I take instant release Ritalin and I get about 6 hours out of one 10mg dose. I don't usually require a second dose, maybe a half dose if I want to keep concentrating.