ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 12-18-04, 08:25 PM
Jr Member

Springer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down New WARNING re: possible liver injury

On 12/17/04 Reuters Health News reported: "Eli Lilly & Co. said Friday it added a warning to the label of its drug for treating Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, advising patients with jaundice or a liver injury to stop taking the treatment."

This followed "2 reported cases of severe liver injury" attributed to Strattera. Following cessation of the medication all liver function tests for the 2 cited cases returned to normal.

Even though I suppose that the rate of such injury from Strattera is extremely low [statistically], I will take this new development seriously and give careful thought as to whether or not I will try Strattera. I just tried Adderall and was instructed by my doc to discontinue after only 3 days [on only 5mg of XR] due to significant increase in my BP. Might try Ritalin next, maybe it will not do the same even though a stimulant (like Adderall).

So I may be an ADDer who will continue as I have without ADD meds!?
Old 12-18-04, 08:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I have also been told that Straterra is causing irregular heartbeats in some patients. I spoke to tone MD who actually partipated in Clinical trials. He thought the Medication was great and was prescribing it to a lot of his patients. He said he won't prescribe it all anymore.
Old 12-19-04, 01:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
I'm supposed to have regular cardiology followup anyway because of an operation I had when I was little. If I notice anything even a little off, I definitely report that to a doctor.

I don't think this liver thing is all that much to worry about. I'm just going to make sure my doc tests liver function every time I have a physical, and monitor myself for symptoms. But I'm not giving up my Strattera unless I have to.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-04, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

moonlily is on a distinguished road
This concerns me, because I have been feeling slightly flu-like lately and had really bad spells of nausea/"hot flash" type feelings. I figured out it was after a unusual day where I had 5 extra strength tylenols and the other time, 3 glasses of wine. To top it off, I dont think Im getting any benefit, or very little, from Strattera. mmmm.. I think Ill call my doc.. anyone else have this weird effect?
Old 12-20-04, 01:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
There are so many bad things that can cause "flu like" symptoms that I would go to a doc about it anyway... even it if was the flu, lol. Even if she couldn't do anything about it because it *was* the flu, I'd feel mentally better.

Just tell your doctor what's going on. That's what they're there for, and I'm sure they've heard it all, your not alone in what's going on. -- jazzper
Old 12-22-04, 12:35 AM

ADDition is on a distinguished road
Well-Strattera is one of the only ones I can take due to an arrthymia history. I'm only on 40 mg to start. I see my primary care dr next week to assess and hopefully have my dosage increased. (no decrease in symptoms at 40 mg for the last 5 weeks) Don't think I notice any liver symptoms, and for that matter, I think my heart rate is okay. It's jumpy at times with skipped beats anyway, and I don't observe any marked deviation from the usual.
I don't keep any official track, but take my pulse from time to time just to make sure it's not less than 50 or more than 100. For me anyway, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. If I develop an increased heart rate, well, I'm frazzled by ADHD stress which is not doing me any favors either, so I feel like it would be deciding between the lesser of two evils. I feel caught between two worlds. I am a quite functional, relatively happy person, but the internal sense of chaos and utter inability to truly organize my life can be almost unbearable at times, and anything to help balance that would be welcome.