ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: ADD related to Head Injury related to Family History?
ADD / Head Injury / Family History 9 28.13%
ADD / No Head Injury / Family History 7 21.88%
ADD / Head Injury / No Family History 11 34.38%
ADD / No Head Injury / No Family History 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-05, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Question Anyone have ADD and Head Injury?

Just trying to get a feel for how many of you have ADD (any type) and have had a head injury. I would also be interesting to see if ADD runs in the family.

I had a head injury at 4 and my dad is undiagnosed ADD.

I guess I was in a no win situation.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
Old 02-04-05, 02:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Hi Tim,

I have ADD/Head Injury sustained at 2 yrs old. I cannot answer about history as I was adopted.

Interesting poll

Viktoria
Old 02-04-05, 12:59 PM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
I had a head injury when I was about 5...... Didn't think anything of it till when I was dx. and asked if I had ever been hit in the head.....

I fell down the basement stairs hitting my head on the wall, passing out and was sick to my tummy. I remember being very dizzy and not being able to walk straight. After that for a long time I had this feeling off and on that I discribed to the women dx(at 35) me. She felt it sounded like seisures.

When I was about 13 my Dad was pitching baseballs to me and he hit me right in the forhead... I passed out and had the biggest bruise and bummp I'd ever seen... Could that have cause a head injury or just a fear of baseballs being thrown my way...

Bet I don't have to tell anyone I never become the athletic type....
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-05, 01:11 PM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
ADHD family history

Head injury at 3, hit my head on a cement wall after I decided to let go of the swing. In hospital over night.

Head injury at 4, took a hit to the head, hospital one night

Head injurty at 5, took another hit, hospital a couple of hours

Head injury at 7, fell out of the car while it was moving down the highway. Hospital two weeks.

Head injury 10, fell off the monkey bars and thought my head would be the safest landing zone. Unconscious two hours, hospital three days.

Head injury 25, car accident, hit head on into a ditch at over 70 miles an hour. Hospital one week.

Head injury 28, starting hemmoraging during my pregnancy with Jacob tried to get to Doug but passed out and moved the frig with my head, unconscious and seizure. hospital 3 days with concussion and suffered migraines for over a year afterwards

I'm really beginning to think my mother was right, as long as I hit my head everything will be ok. lmbo
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 02-04-05, 03:06 PM

3ALLADD is on a distinguished road
My God!!!!!!! That's quite a repetoire of head injuries! More power to ya'!!!
Old 02-04-05, 05:18 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
It's important when asking a question like this to point out that this can't prove causality, only correlation. It could be possible that having ADHD makes one more prone to having a head injury, due to lower inhibitions, hyperactivity, disobedience, etc.

While TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) can cause symptoms similar to those of ADHD, one is not the cause of the other, nor vice versa.
Old 02-04-05, 07:28 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
I think most people have been hit on the head in some way or other. So I don't know how to answer the question. Do you mean some diagnosed injury that required hospitalization.

I have had blows to the head over time that may have caused some cumulative injury. Hitting me in the face hard was my father's favorite form of punishment.
Old 02-04-05, 08:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller
It's important when asking a question like this to point out that this can't prove causality, only correlation.
I agree completely. I thought I would be interesting to see if there was a correlation.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)
Old 02-04-05, 09:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

P_Stampy is on a distinguished road
how do you fall out of a car?
Never had an accident with my head.
Old 02-05-05, 07:39 AM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking_Futs
ADHD family history

Head injury at 3, hit my head on a cement wall after I decided to let go of the swing. In hospital over night.My mother states that it was like I forgot that I swinging in mid air and just let go...ADD behaviour I believe

Head injury at 4, took a hit to the head, hospital one nightstep father came home drunk and kicked me

Head injurty at 5, took another hit, hospital a couple of hoursstep father again

Head injury at 7, fell out of the car while it was moving down the highway. Hospital two weeks.This was in a time long before car seats and the use of seat belts being mandatory...and I remember clearly being fascinated with the door handle.

Head injury 10, fell off the monkey bars and thought my head would be the safest landing zone. Unconscious two hours, hospital three days.thought I was super girl and attempted a back flip off the monkey bars

Head injury 25, car accident, hit head on into a ditch at over 70 miles an hour. Hospital one week.Hit a culvert head on at over 70 miles an hour...was once again late for work

Head injury 28, starting hemmoraging during my pregnancy with Jacob tried to get to Doug but passed out and moved the frig with my head, unconscious and seizure. hospital 3 days with concussion and suffered migraines for over a year afterwardspurely not my fault

I'm really beginning to think my mother was right, as long as I hit my head everything will be ok. lmbo
I think all but three of my head injuries were because of ADD behaviours not the cause of my ADD. lol But, you can all form your own opinions.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 02-05-05, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Stampy
how do you fall out of a car?
Never had an accident with my head.
Never ever? Your lucky most adults I know have had at least one trauma.

Old 02-05-05, 10:43 AM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
I was thrown off a horse in my 20's at camp.Was taken to the hospital in the earlier hours of the mornign...head started hurting.

I was taken out with forceps in childbirth and am Epilepitc, does that count?
auntchris
Old 02-06-05, 06:23 PM
Contributor

Struggling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttalkingmom
I had a head injury when I was about 5...... Didn't think anything of it till when I was dx. and asked if I had ever been hit in the head.....
That's like me. I didn't think about a head injury until I started reading about ADD. When I was 12 I got hit by a pick up truck, and flew through the air and was unconscious. I was fine physically but I can't help wonder is there is any connection.

I suffer from Overwhlemization Paralyzation
Old 02-06-05, 07:33 PM

I know it has no correlation with this thread but I noticed your once again smiling Struggling...that brings a smile to my face.

Old 02-08-05, 02:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

P_Stampy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking_Futs
Never ever? Your lucky most adults I know have had at least one trauma.

My sister used to bash my head against the wall.... but... never been unconcious