ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did gluten-free reduce your symptoms?
Yes - reduced them a lot! 1 50.00%
Yes - reduced them a little 1 50.00%
No change in severity of symptoms 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-18, 09:09 AM
Jr Member

unomie has a spectacular aura aboutunomie has a spectacular aura about
Gluten free

I've seen a gluten-free diet recommended a few times here and on Reddit. I wonder how effective it really is? Considering trialing it but I'm already vegan so would be quite an effort.
Old 04-13-18, 10:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,608 Times in 14,583 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gluten free

Gluten is the soup du jour for diet fads and trends recently. The thing I have an issue with is very very few of the people who request a gluten free meal or eat gluten free do not have celiac disease and it makes people who actually have the disease to be viewed as a PITA like the people who just want things done special for meals out. People with celiac can ingest micrmil's of gluten and end up in the hospital with gut and stomach problems. For them its life or death. As far as for diet or adhd..for diet purposed carbs that are low on the glycemic index seem to be better suited for me. I want to cut carbs even more but I have been a baby lately. I actually went gluten free about a year ago for a month due to other issues I was testing out and I never noticed one bit of improvement or things got worse with regards to my adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-13-18, 02:29 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I find myself buying more and more gluten free products, not because I have any issues with gluten itself, but because more often than not gluten-free items don't contain flour enriched with synthetic variants of needed nutrients, specifically folic acid. It can definitely be difficult, but there are more and more products showing up every day made with alternate forms of flour, whole grains, sprouted grains, etc. Not all of them are gluten-free, but I definitely see a lot of crossover between the two.
Old 04-13-18, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,206 Times in 11,356 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

The word 'gluten' doesn't sound appealing.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-14-18, 05:07 AM

anomie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Gluten is the soup du jour for diet fads and trends recently. The thing I have an issue with is very very few of the people who request a gluten free meal or eat gluten free do not have celiac disease and it makes people who actually have the disease to be viewed as a PITA like the people who just want things done special for meals out. People with celiac can ingest micrmil's of gluten and end up in the hospital with gut and stomach problems. For them its life or death. As far as for diet or adhd..for diet purposed carbs that are low on the glycemic index seem to be better suited for me. I want to cut carbs even more but I have been a baby lately. I actually went gluten free about a year ago for a month due to other issues I was testing out and I never noticed one bit of improvement or things got worse with regards to my adhd.
It's not just people with celiac who need to worry about gluten. Up to 10% of people are sensitive to gluten. It's inflammatory by nature and some people's bodies don't do well with inflammation.
The Following User Says Thank You to anomie For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-24-18)
Old 04-24-18, 01:02 AM
Jr Member

jackOutTheBox is on a distinguished road

I was PROPERLY G-free for 2-3 weeks.

Didn't notice the benefit but I had a few other things going for me those weeks so no reason why I would.

I sure did notice when I had to go back tho!

I think of it like modifying cars... Bear with me... *everyone* will tell you "Yeah it's loads faster" when you make a modification (usually louder exhaust!) but it's psychological IMO... You really notice when things get WORSE, not better.

I think of it like evolution... Bear with me... If cave-ppl all went around congratulating themselves every time they think they did something better, they'd never get anything done... But if they didn't notice when something got WORSE they'd get worse... (and die without procreating, trolol)

So how do I vote in the poll? (NVM, I voted)
Old 04-24-18, 03:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,096 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an inflammatory medical condition then removing gluten does help. Whether people believe there's any truth in it doesn't really matter. The flow on effect was it helped the brain function better coz the body was functioning better. Try and see if it makes a difference great if not then nothing lost.
aeon (04-24-18), Lisa_Mac (07-13-18)