ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 07-12-13, 01:11 PM

kriyo87 is on a distinguished road
Making the switch from Adderall to Dexedrine. Can anyone share experiences?

After being diagnosed at 13, I ran through the gamut of ADHD meds. First Concerta, then Focalin, Vyvanse, Straterra, Effexor, Wellbutrin, and a few others. I switched to Adderall at 18 and thought I had found a miracle drug! Not that I believed a drug would solve all of my issues. But Adderall XR seemed to have provided relief from the social anxiety, impulsivity, fatigue, lack of motivation, and lack of focus I was experiencing. I have since been slowly increasing my dosage once a year or so because it seemed to "stop working". I now take 30mg XR and 10mg IR at the end of the day (I'm a chef and my days are extremely long).

When I spoke to my doc today, I explained to him that I'm still experiencing lags and gaps in my day. I take my first dose of the 30mg XR at 8am and the 10mg around 2pm. This worked well for six months or so but I was recently promoted to Executive Chef, and with more on my plate so to speak, and a thousand different things to pay attention to at once, I find I'm lagging around noon. Rather than increase the dose, we decided to try 20mg XR in the morning, 20mg XR at noon or 1pm, and 10mg IR at 3 or 4pm depending on how I feel.

He also suggested I switch drugs. I know tolerance is a very real thing when it comes to stimulants. We ran through the list of things I've tried. He realized I've tried every option. I wanted to bring up Dexedrine but when I did this with a last doctor, he dismissed me. It seems Dexedrine has such a stigma. I don't understand why. I'm wondering if Dexedrine will make me feel less sped up and more relaxed, so that I can focus better in all aspects of my work. Adderall is great when you're focusing on one task. But my day is unconventional to say the least. I need to be on point and able to multitask.

My current doctor is much more open to suggestion than my last doctor. I feel that if I do some research, this could be a viable option.

Can anyone relate? Have you switched from Adderall to Dexedrine or visa versa? Has anyone else experienced a drug that works well for a time and then tapers off? My doctor also mentioned adding a drug called Intuniv, but if it's anything like Strattera, I'm ruling it out since all that did was put me to sleep and wreck my stomach.
Old 07-12-13, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Nate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud of
Re: Making the switch from Adderall to Dexedrine. Can anyone share experiences?

"I wanted to bring up Dexedrine but when I did this with a last doctor, he dismissed me. It seems Dexedrine has such a stigma. I don't understand why. I'm wondering if Dexedrine will make me feel less sped up and more relaxed, so that I can focus better in all aspects of my work"

Those damn doctors. Adderall is 75% dextroamphetamine! I don't understand it either.

I've taken both medications. I prefer the straight dextroamphetamine. You really need to try dextroamphetamine and see if it is for you. Some people do better with the extra kick Adderall gives, others find it too stimulating and the rebound a little harsher.

I would start out on the same size daily dose (this will give you 25% more dextroamphetamine, but no levoamphetamine) (the other active ingredient in Adderall).

--Nate
Old 07-22-13, 02:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

Switching between different stimulants is frustrating, and if it was not for ADHD effecting the mind then finding the right medicine would be much simpler. I too have been on this train before and thankfully I found comfort in dexedrine. Adderall overtime completely felt like I was eating candy. Other more stringent stimulants like "Desoxyn"; which recently seems to be a thing of the past, was a sought after medicine that no one could get a script for because of the lingering stigmata. I personally felt 10x better drinking a single red bull than I ever did taking Desoxyn lol.

I am glad that this doctor is more open with you. This ailment can now begin to be alleviated in some fashion for you.

Good Luck! (^_^)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-13, 05:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,574 Times in 15,083 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I took dexedrine for 7 years. and it worked consistently all of that time, Thing was for me, on dexedrine i was laser sharp, but really social and wanted to hang out all day long. I focused great on conversations and other people but i just didnt have the focus for the hard tasks. I didnt really need to switch because overall it was fine but 2 years ago i decided to switch to adderall and its just as good but in a different way. Im still social, but it doesnt take priority over other things, i am less distracted, and get a better kick in the pants feeling but honestly they were really similar.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-24-13, 06:44 AM

Moatman is on a distinguished road

I started out on a concerta trial. That failed miserably. Maybe it was too low a dose, maybe my brain doesn't like it, maybe it was just a bad batch. Worked, maybe, for a day. My productivity that day might have been unrelated. So I stopped for a while, to try to deal with bipolar symptoms.
Fast forward to 3 months later (mid-june). I bring up ADHD to my new psychiatrist, he decides to run a trial with adderall IR. Works great, except for one tiiiiiny problem... heart issues. My BP shot up from low to borderline high, my resting HR was over 100, usually closer to 120+, fun stuff like that. So, one emergency appointment later, I walked out with a dexedrine script. I knew about the Barr issues, but nobody near me either had enough of non-Barr stuff, or only had Barr. So I ended up with that for a month. OHMYGOD THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. Even with Barr's bad QC I can feel the difference. My cardiovascular stuff is back to my normal, maybe slightly elevated sometimes but still nowhere near as much as on adderall. I'm focusing even better, and my thoughts and movements have calmed down. It's amazing!

Last edited by Moatman; 07-24-13 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: capitalization
The Following User Says Thank You to Moatman For This Useful Post:
twinch42085 (07-24-13)
Old 07-24-13, 07:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

Adderall always made my BP rise and I knew it was from the Peripheral Nervous System stimulation resulting from the levo-amphetamine. Once i began dexedrine it was as if someone flipped a switch. I too take the BARR brand.It is a life saver
Old 07-24-13, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Nate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatman View Post
....I bring up ADHD to my new psychiatrist, he decides to run a trial with adderall IR. Works great, except for one tiiiiiny problem... heart issues. My BP shot up from low to borderline high, my resting HR was over 100, usually closer to 120+, fun stuff like that. So, one emergency appointment later, I walked out with a dexedrine script. I knew about the Barr issues, but nobody near me either had enough of non-Barr stuff, or only had Barr. So I ended up with that for a month. OHMYGOD THIS STUFF IS AMAZING. Even with Barr's bad QC I can feel the difference. My cardiovascular stuff is back to my normal, maybe slightly elevated sometimes but still nowhere near as much as on adderall. I'm focusing even better, and my thoughts and movements have calmed down. It's amazing!
Wait until you try Mallinckrodt dextroamphetamine. There is no comparison. You have not had mental clarity and motivation, with calmness, until you have.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145684

Adderall gave more moodiness, harsher rebound and more sleep issues. I like dextroamphetamine better.

--Nate
Old 07-25-13, 11:48 AM

Moatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate W View Post
Wait until you try Mallinckrodt dextroamphetamine. There is no comparison. You have not had mental clarity and motivation, with calmness, until you have.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145684

Adderall gave more moodiness, harsher rebound and more sleep issues. I like dextroamphetamine better.

--Nate
I have to put in a mail order request to Medco for my next fill. I asked my doc to put that Mallinckrodt was required, which is what they need to fill it with a specific manufacturer

ETA: I also live in Alexandria, and I just reread part of your thread and got the safeway address from your PI sheet. The Safeways closest to me only have Sun or something like that. No Mallinckrodt. Gonna use the one you posted for emergency refills.
Old 07-25-13, 02:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

I was on and off Adderall IR and XR (about 20mg) for about a year. The times I was off it I was trying Concerta (which did not work) and Vyvanse (which caused very high anxiety problems for me). Adderall had harsh anxiety effects on me but seemed to be the best med for me overall. Finally I got tired of Adderall's bad side effects and my doctor suggested Dex. The transition was easy and Dex's going-ups and the coming-downs were smoother and more gentle on me. I don't know if it's the somewhat low dose of Dex (15mg per day) that makes Dex easier on me or I finally found the right ADHD med for me, but it seems to be doing the trick but to a lower degree than what I am used to with Adderall. For me, Adderall gave me the kick in the pants motivation I needed to start projects and stay on them whereas Dex does not give me the kick but does help me to stay on task once I force myself the start the task. But the motivation to start tasks is one of my biggest ADHD issues. Dex does not address that for me but that's not necessarily a bad thing because I realize that Dex does help me to stay on task once I get moving without all the anxiety issues I was dealing with while on Adderall. It's a trade-off for me, Adderall vs. Dex, but worth it because Adderall was too harsh on me.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Old 07-28-13, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatman View Post
I have to put in a mail order request to Medco for my next fill. I asked my doc to put that Mallinckrodt was required, which is what they need to fill it with a specific manufacturer

ETA: I also live in Alexandria, and I just reread part of your thread and got the safeway address from your PI sheet. The Safeways closest to me only have Sun or something like that. No Mallinckrodt. Gonna use the one you posted for emergency refills.
The Safeway I got the Mallinckrodt from did not stock it, in fact, they did not have any dextroamphetamine and that probably is why they ordered Mallinckrodt at my request. They had to order it from somewhere.

--Nate