ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 08-12-19, 07:16 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light
Question Why do we attract toxic individuals into our lives?

Is it that we allow ourselves to be taken advantage more often than most and manipulative/toxic people can detect people like us from the crowd? How do we break this cycle?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (08-18-19), namazu (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,619 Times in 2,424 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why do we attract toxic individuals into our lives?

Look at your past. Are you an adult child of a narcissist or was there someone in your life who disempowered you? Start doing some reading about narcissism. Read about empath and narcissist and how to identify these ********.
acdc01 (09-10-19), namazu (08-12-19)
Old 08-12-19, 10:25 PM
Contributor

Lloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of lightLloyd_ is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Look at your past. Are you an adult child of a narcissist or was there someone in your life who disempowered you?
Don't really have any narcissist parents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-12-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 10:34 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,497 Times in 10,849 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Do we actually attract toxic individuals into our lives?

Or is it just that there are toxic individuals out there, and we (like others) happen to have the misfortune of having to deal with them sometimes?

Maybe I've just been very lucky, but I don't think I've had to deal with a disproportionate number of toxic people. (Then again, I don't have a good sense of how many toxic people most other people have to deal with!)

What kinds of boundaries are you having trouble maintaining, or in what ways are you being manipulated? In terms of breaking out of the pattern of these relationships, it depends a lot on the situation. Are these family members? Bosses? Coworkers? Frenemies? It's easier to cut ties and maintain boundaries with some than with others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-13-19), stef (08-19-19)
Old 08-13-19, 02:58 AM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

When it comes to romantic relationships, love or attraction can make us blind to faults. We see what we want to see. For all kinds of relationships, well, some people can really give off that charm or seem so friendly and help you out sometimes. Had a brother-in-law like that. He didn't want people to know about the OTHER side of his personality...cruel, sometimes violent, insulting, threatening. But he normally could act so nice, he could seem like a real good guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-13-19)
Old 08-13-19, 03:03 AM

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

I decided to rid my life of toxic individuals one day. And now I have one friend left beside my wife and daughter. That's ok though, quality over quantity.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clavius78 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-10-19), Little Missy (08-13-19), Lunacie (08-13-19), SashaBV (08-13-19)
Old 08-13-19, 08:38 AM

Thanked 22,463 Times in 12,089 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I give almost any one a first or second chance.

After that, they are CUT!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
SashaBV (08-13-19)
Old 08-19-19, 05:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to allKaia.S is a name known to all

To be honest: i think it's my low self-esteem that enables people to take advantage of me. I wanted to belong so much, was afraid to be alone, somehow wanted people to give me the love and attention that apparently i couldn't give to myself. And there are always people who feed on people like me, so victimhood becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

On top i found out, that i take things quite literally and don't understand communication with underlying intentions, especially when they're not so nice... as i'm having these unrealistic expectations that everyone has the same values. This knowledge helps me empowering the relationship with myself, i can trust myself, even when i'm not perfect.

I try to listen to the voice inside telling me if it's save or am i crossing my boundaries out of seeing more benefits to ignore them for the time being? I have lost almost everyone around me over the past years, which was also not so good for my self-esteem, but it still feels better to 'start over' with the real me, so no more adjusting, pleasing or making myself small. As it turns out, life is still bringing challenges in this area: opportunities to do it differently this time so i don't have to attract those drama's anymore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-10-19), namazu (08-19-19), Roxx1980 (08-28-19)
Old 08-19-19, 07:33 AM

Thanked 5,619 Times in 2,424 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you are the child of narcissist or not if you want to keep yourself safe from toxic people you need to learn all you can about narcissism, how to spot them and how to deal with it. Learn that and you'll be okay. don't learn it and the life lessons will keep repeating themselves. I wish someone had said these words to me in 2003 when I joined this forum. Would have saved me a lot of pain
Old 08-19-19, 07:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think sometimes its how we learned to relate when we were younger but I believe it can be overcome. Once I saw how healthy boundaries were supposed to look I have been very fortunate at recognizing people and what their motives really are.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-19-19, 10:48 PM

Thanked 1,277 Times in 964 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

What do you mean by toxic individuals?

I wonder if I could be considered a toxic individual in some contexts/circumstances?

Like I can identify with the down out, in some way.

Sometimes I can feel the opposite, depending on how good or bad my day is going, etc.

I have mostly stopped giving other people money, took a long time to take care of myself in that way, if that is what you mean?

M
Roxx1980 (08-28-19)
Old 08-20-19, 02:09 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Once I saw how healthy boundaries were supposed to look I have been very fortunate at recognizing people and what their motives really are.
I always ended feeling resentful towards people whom actually had good intentions or maybe there are some ulterior motives or perhaps I just never learned how to interact 'normally' with people without being on alcohol or on narcotics!

Alcohol makes certain people violent but it gives me the ability to interact 'normally' with people, slows my brain down and kills that inner dialogue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd_ For This Useful Post:
Roxx1980 (08-28-19)