ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-10-11, 02:52 AM
Banned

highhigh is on a distinguished road
Re: living off the government ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Most people are not on SSI/SSDI just because they happened to feel like giving up. The application process winnows out most of the slackers. The people with ADHD who get government assistance have very severe cases - so severe that they can't work.

If you don't like that our society provides at least a small safety net for the most vulnerable portion of our population, you could always move to Rwanda.
move to Rwanda? not so realistic.
Old 05-10-11, 03:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,859 Times in 2,104 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unfortunately, when I was 47 I went through a year of chronic carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty home furnace. I had no idea what was happening - only that I was less and less capable of functioning. I was eventually forced to go on disability because the CO poisoning had made my ADHD symptoms so severe. I considered being forced onto disability a major defeat in my life.
Possum I am sorry for what has happened to you. I think there are a lot of people on disability who have no choice like yourself.

Quote:
I am woefully ignorant of the Australian situation and cannot comment on it.
I would say it's a bigger issue over here than in the US because it's easier to qualify.

Quote:
Please give an example of someone "lording" it because they are on disability.
Geez I have ADHD. I've also been to bed since then so I can't remember the exact posts. There have been a few comments on here regarding not feeling like they should have to work and displaying an attitude of not caring about the fact that others work to support them.

Quote:
Personally, I am very envious of those able to work. I'd give anything to get off disability and the disabled people I know feel the same as I do.
Maybe it's a few more vocal members that give the impression that they are not interested in getting a job and see disability as the easy way out.

Quote:
And again, you have no idea what the disabled members of this board may be doing.
And when there are posts on how to pass the time while on disability do you think the responders are lying about what to they do to conceal any study or volunteer work?

Quote:
I resent being told that I "do nothing" and am "quite happy" to "let working adhders pick up the slack."
I never said that to you personally.

Quote:
It's bad enough that most NTers don't understand us, it is far worse when one of our own attacks us on a support board.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Personally I get fed up with anyone who does work never being allowed to have an opinion.

I am quite sure that most of the people here on disability are genuine cases but there are a few posters here who tend to get working ADHDers backs up with their attitudes. Is it really appropriate to be congratulating someone on getting approved for disability? From what you're saying is a tragedy to get to that point so why do people congratulate others for it? I agree with you that it is a tragedy to end up in that situation.

I wish there was something I could do to change your situation and I'm the kind of person who will do anything to help anyone who genuinely tries but when I see comments about just giving up and going on disability I think it's insulting to those who really do try - not to just working ADHDers but the ones on disability who would rather not be there too. I've seen reactions from people on disability to these kinds of posts stating that they wished they could have a job but couldn't so I don't think I'm the only person on the board that notices.

But as things are in forum land there will always be people who will take offence particularly on this topic and think that I mean something I don't.
Old 05-10-11, 03:19 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

A small detail that gets lost in the noise. SSDI tops out at 1400 a month. After 25 plus years in the work force I can expect a princely $953 a month. Living in luxury at the taxpayers expense. That's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlediver View Post
that's true.

the other day i got a letter from social security saying that if i were to become eligible right now, i would get 900 a month. not only can you not live on that - but the amount you get each month is based on how much you made each year.

i worked for 13 years - from the age of 15 til i was 29. i averaged 25,000 a year.

i shudder to think what the monthly benefit would be for somebody who really didn't work all that much.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Impromptu_DTour (05-11-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17), puddlediver (05-11-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-11, 08:20 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud of

As a person who has spent far more time on a disability pension than working I have the displeasure of informing whoever is interested that it is a hollow existence.

And yes tudorose is correct, it's easy to get on disability in Australia, so perhaps the social attitude is a little different.

I am hoping that when I finally get the treatment I need I will be rid of my pension and standing on my own two feet with all the dignity and self determination I can muster, but until then the gracious tax paying members of society will be burdened by my disability too.

Having epilepsy, an acquired brain injury, adhd and pddnos is a pain, but I can't roll over and expect not to have to step up to the challenge just because other people have it easier than me.

Sometimes you have to look adversity in the face and tell it to eff off.

Maybe I'm not so functional, but sooner or later I will hit on something I can do!

I guess I firmly believe that since I have the luxury of being supported by the government in spite of what I cannot contribute that I am obliged to help myself at some point and do what I can.

It's the entitled attitude some people have that bugs me and the lack of gratitude that so often accompanies it.

To those who are entitled, fair enough, those benefits are in place for a reason, but to those who "feel" entitled without being entitled it is a slap in the face to the members of society who ultimately pay the price.

So thank you tudorose for being one of the many inadvertent supportive tax payers that allows me my quality of life.

The value of a thing lies not in what one attains with it but it what it one pays for it, what it costs us- Nietzsche
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsvlil1 For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (05-10-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17), tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-10-11, 08:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,662 Times in 14,620 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If you work for a portioin of your life you pay into social security and disability. When you're working these benefits will go to those who are on disability and ssi. If you become disabled and appy and are approved for a valid reason then those hard years of work will help you too. As far as people who never worked getting these benefits I don't see how that's fair because everyone who has contributed should be able to benefit when needed. I think its easier to fake out a state for assistance like welfare because there is a lot less oversight but federal faking is a lot harder. There is always bias towards those who are diabled from those who work and then there are those who are diabled who think they are entitled to benefits with no contribution. Its the lack of mutual understanding that hurts both. Compassion has no pricetag and everyone should try it on for size
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-28-17), Retromancer (05-10-11)
Old 05-10-11, 11:22 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Possum I am sorry for what has happened to you. I think there are a lot of people on disability who have no choice like yourself.
Thank you.

Quote:
Geez I have ADHD. I've also been to bed since then so I can't remember the exact posts. There have been a few comments on here regarding not feeling like they should have to work and displaying an attitude of not caring about the fact that others work to support them.

Maybe it's a few more vocal members that give the impression that they are not interested in getting a job and see disability as the easy way out.
There are members here who suffer from other conditions along with their ADD. So, they can come across in the manner you're talking about without really meaning to - I'm thinking of people with aspergers and similar conditions

There are also some very immature posters on this board. They annoy me, too. I generally skip over their posts and they never seem to stick around for long. I give their comments little weight.

Quote:
And when there are posts on how to pass the time while on disability do you think the responders are lying about what to they do to conceal any study or volunteer work?
I don't recall any threads like that, but you said it yourself: I have ADHD. Plus, I have a plethora of ways to spend my time, so such posts don't catch my interest.

Quote:
I never said that to you personally.
When you make sweeping statements about a group to which I belong, I am going to take it personally. That's the trouble with generalizations.

Quote:
Personally I get fed up with anyone who does work never being allowed to have an opinion.
Of course you're allowed an opinion. The mods didn't delete your OP, and we're all here on this thread giving our thoughts on the matter, and we haven't been warned yet. Just because I or others may disagree with you doesn't mean your not allowed an opinion.

Quote:
I am quite sure that most of the people here on disability are genuine cases but there are a few posters here who tend to get working ADHDers backs up with their attitudes. Is it really appropriate to be congratulating someone on getting approved for disability? From what you're saying is a tragedy to get to that point so why do people congratulate others for it? I agree with you that it is a tragedy to end up in that situation.
The US Social Security disability system is quite different than the Australian one. As has been posted elsewhere, it takes a minimum of 2 years to get approved for SSI/SSDI here in the States. In my case, it was 5 years. It's a horrible battle filled with paperwork and hearings that make it difficult for an NTer to go through, never mind someone with ADHD. Congratulations to people on finally winning their cases are quite appropriate in this context.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-28-17), tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-10-11, 11:36 AM

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even read this thread until today ...why , ? cause NM writes a provocative title, and I don't mean that in a good way ......personally, my reactions to the way he titles his threads is to make me want to throttle him ......even if it is a real problem for him or others .....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (05-10-11), ginniebean (05-11-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17), Possum (05-10-11), tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-10-11, 11:50 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect to NM, he DOES write provocative posts. I tried to respond in a general way rather than a specific one to his post. Had I replied specifically my post probably would have been deleted!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-11-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17), tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-10-11, 08:29 PM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvlil1 View Post
Having epilepsy, an acquired brain injury, adhd and pddnos is a pain
Wow me too. Well I'm not sure about the acquired brain injury. A bit of paranoia from epileptic symptoms however. TLE; I hear and see stuff that isn't there - scawry.

How do you feel about people on pensions being forced into work if they are found by the new work tests to do so?
I would love to work but my most impairing symptoms are fear of change (which no autistic will ever understand), severe sensory issues/ possible photosensitive epilepsy, and meltdowns/shutdowns. I think it would be a real bother having someone working normally then a crowd comes in and suddenly I've regressed back 10 or more years.
So I think kicking me off the pension would just make me struggle to find work and even feed myself. Not to forget how crushing it can be to constantly go to job interviews and then be told you haven't got enough skills or are too nervous, when it is how you act around most people. It all basically comes down to people don't want to hire me.

I've been unemployed for life save one day of being a photo assistant, a band photographer and almost two weeks in work experience at K-Mart which was pretty stressful.
I've tried to start my own projects to make money but they don't always work out. I'm still attempting something and I hope I can stick to it.
I spent 6 years as a band photographer making no money off what I did and it almost killed me. All that exposure to bright lights, especially strobes triggered my photo sensitivity and I think the SSRI's I was on exacerbated them. Now with epilepsy it is impossible to get back into band photography. But people see my work and think I'd be mad to give up on it.

Right now I struggle with getting up in the morning, making my own meals (especially dinner) and actually talking comfortably with people that don't live in my own house.

So to anyone who thinks it's not fair that I've never worked but get a pension: I'm sorry. What's not fair is that I had health complications since I was in the womb. What's not fair is that things that are simple to most people are very difficult for me and usually lead me into a meltdown/shutdown/depression. The only way I have found to not get depressed about it is to just give in. The reason why I'm in my current state is because I pushed myself so hard.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-11-11), dsvlil1 (05-10-11), ginniebean (05-11-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17), tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-10-11, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

puddlediver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopestep View Post
....so you want us to work hard and give up our tax money so that you can live off of the gov for free because you feel like giving up?

Good luck. i hope they refuse you
i hope you weren't talking to me... my boyfriend has a well-paying job and we live comfortably.

hitting welfare up for cash is not something i would accept, i do have pride
Old 05-10-11, 08:48 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,243 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlediver View Post
i hope you weren't talking to me... my boyfriend has a well-paying job and we live comfortably.

hitting welfare up for cash is not something i would accept, i do have pride
It's not like hitting up welfare for cash would do you much good anyway. Most peoples's welfare is barely anything. My family was on it for a little while and the only reason we didn't end up homeless was because my grandmother let us move in with her.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offle For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-28-17), puddlediver (05-10-11)
Old 05-10-11, 09:44 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Yes It can be so severe for some people that even if your fortunate enough to have access to medication some people are just too disabled by ADHD to hold a job.People like us would love to become productive members of society but sometimes you can't get meds or the meds aren't always effective.In my case I just started Adderall 2 weeks ago at 20mg a day and the first week it was great now week 2 same old same old.So for some of us with ADHD our meds lose effectiveness sometimes quickly and sometimes after years of taking them and when you can't get meds or they don't work then ADHD is incapacitating, frustrating, and extremely disabling.Everything from reading,Writing,Driving a car,Watching TV, Studying,doing chores,making love,everything ADHD can impact everything in a persons life including holding a job.When it gets this bad however then the government will usually provide for persons severely disabled by ADHD just like any other illness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hyperman87 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-11-11), ItsaRose (05-28-17)
Old 05-10-11, 10:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

puddlediver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offle View Post
It's not like hitting up welfare for cash would do you much good anyway. Most peoples's welfare is barely anything. My family was on it for a little while and the only reason we didn't end up homeless was because my grandmother let us move in with her.
yes i know, due to complications i did recieve cash benefits from the state. for a short while -75 dollars a week for me and my daughter combined

there's nothing wrong with it when it is used as a stepping stone, but i have known mothers who keep producing children so they can live in a bigger sec 8 house, get 600 in fooodstamps and of course the extra cash that comes with each child.

it's the chronically welfare moms who percieve themselves as clever, when in realithy you can see them buying candybars with the foodstamps, or when the pregnant mother uses her cash to buy cigarettes.

ahhh sorry for the rant, i guess, it's a sore topic for me.

i do find your posts informative and entertaining.
tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-10-11, 10:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
Wow me too. Well I'm not sure about the acquired brain injury. A bit of paranoia from epileptic symptoms however. TLE; I hear and see stuff that isn't there - scawry.

How do you feel about people on pensions being forced into work if they are found by the new work tests to do so?
Yeah TLE can suck, or in my case it can get you high as a kite- nice, but not wise. I was fortunate that the only halucinations I had were vestibular. The acquired brain injury is from surgery to minimize the epilepsy and any risk of organic personality changes.

I think there are people on pensions who are more than capable of working, however, the government has always been blissfully ignorant as to what kind of support people with disabilities need to become functional enough to work.
I've been to the disability work agencies and they throw up their hands with me and say they can't help. Well, just what are you here for then?

The value of a thing lies not in what one attains with it but it what it one pays for it, what it costs us- Nietzsche
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsvlil1 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (05-11-11), tudorose (05-11-11)
Old 05-11-11, 12:46 PM

Thanked 4,859 Times in 2,104 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dsvlil1 I think your comments sum it up perfectly (in Oz). I don't think that you or fracturedstory will be affected by the changes. The proposed policy is aimed at those who are using disability as an alternative to the dole. Neither of you fall into that catagory.
dsvlil1 (05-12-11), ginniebean (05-11-11)