ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-09, 03:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

b00sted is on a distinguished road
ADD and Rules ...

i dont know about everyone else, but i always have a problem with rules, and following rules. whenever i have to follow rules its painful. i'm not saying i'm a lawbreaker and **** like that , but dumb rules that are everywhere in life cause me grief

a few other things i've noticed about myself and i wonder if other ppl feel this way

1. i'm confident, but i can easily like bow to someone, or let them 'win' in either an argument, or something like that, this ****es me off because i look like a pushover, but the reason i just 'give up' is b/c i lose interest in it and can't keep focusing on it

2. i've noticed that i always like to joke around, sitting in a room w/ ppl that are all just sitting there, i feel the need to like blurt something out or something to lighten up the situation

3. i always wonder what i should say to a person, or even if i should say anyting at all.. this drives me crazy, i also worry about what i will say will offend the person in some way, or make me look arrogant or full of myself

4. last but not least, i always .. always, have an answer for every question, when someone asks me something i always have to answer, and if someone says something that they like, or are proud of, i ALWAYS have to compliment them or be like "thats cool", never can i just not say anything. this bugs me a lot, b/c most of the time i am the only one to do this

so is anyone with me? im interested
Old 04-30-09, 04:56 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,225 Times in 12,819 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADD and Rules ...

too shy for 2 but otherwise, totally!
Old 04-30-09, 04:58 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,349 Times in 6,095 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Every case of ADD comes complete with an individual therefore ADD can express itself in as many varieties as there are people to express it.

I relate to number three - but I don't have problems with rules for the most part. I question dumb ones and think more people should.

I am reasonably confident, but I do not necessary back down in an argument weather it be a friendly one or otherwise.Matter of fact I usually have the opposite problem and fail to back down when I should.

Lightening up the situation depends on the crowd and the situation. I am more likely to joke around in familiar situations and / or around people I know as opposed to unfamiliar.

I don't always have an answer and I have even learned to let others have the last word some of the time.

If some one is proud of some accomplishment I would acknowledge this as I believe in positive feed back. How much feed back depends upon the person.

If I know an answer or have what I think is a good suggestion I speak up. A few times I have given lectures a run for their money especially if I am well versed in a subject and they seem less than 100% confident This isn't necessarily a good thing and I have tried to back off as I "mature" but the longer I am expected to sit and just listen the more likely I am to make it an interactive experience for all.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-09, 05:30 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted View Post
i dont know about everyone else, but i always have a problem with rules, and following rules. whenever i have to follow rules its painful. i'm not saying i'm a lawbreaker and **** like that , but dumb rules that are everywhere in life cause me grief
I definitely have this problem, although maybe in a different way. This was more of a problem for me when I was younger, particularly in high-school, I had a sort of overblown sense of fairness, and found rules that conflicted with it intolerable. I still do, to a point, but in high school I went out of my way to break the rules, and to make it clear that I was doing so intentionally. Now I just take a deep breath, or grit my teeth, and follow the rule, provided its not too outragous.

Quote:
1. i'm confident, but i can easily like bow to someone, or let them 'win' in either an argument, or something like that, this ****es me off because i look like a pushover, but the reason i just 'give up' is b/c i lose interest in it and can't keep focusing on it
I actually can go too far in both directions on this one. Sometimes I won't challenge something that I disagree with because I'm not sure if I heard everything that was said, and don't want to take the chance of alerting people to that fact by failing to address a part of someone's argument.

Other times, I will challenge people on relatively trivial points, and pursue the debate until they concede or leave. Again, this is something I did more in high-school, but its still my natural inclination. For example, I often have to bite my tongue to stop myself from correcting people's grammar or misuse of words. It seems wrong not to point it out, I'd want them to point it out if I misused a word, but its never received well.

Quote:
2. i've noticed that i always like to joke around, sitting in a room w/ ppl that are all just sitting there, i feel the need to like blurt something out or something to lighten up the situation

3. i always wonder what i should say to a person, or even if i should say anyting at all.. this drives me crazy, i also worry about what i will say will offend the person in some way, or make me look arrogant or full of myself
I have problems with no. 3 all the time. I don't ever blurt things out(I'm also to anxious to do this), but I often prefer to say things in a humorous way. This is actually sometimes a plus for me, as I'm very quiet and somber looking most of the time, and I think when people hear me say something humorous(even if always in a deadpan voice), I feel like I seem more human. On the other hand, I sometimes inject humor into a situation where its really not welcome.