ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-05-17, 02:51 PM
Jr Member

andiemarie is on a distinguished road
Medication questions

Hello,

I am new to this forum. My 5 (almost 6) year old son was diagnosed about 6 months ago. We have been doing therapy and also started him on biphentin started low dose, now up to 20mg. It seemed to be helping at first, but with the side effects of not eating much and hard time to fall asleep..

We are finding lately that it actually isn't really helping, he's still been very defiant at school (hitting, not listening to his teacher, distracted etc) and then when the meds wear off, he is very emotional and just a mess..

I took him off the meds as he eats, sleeps and is easier to deal with in general. I plan on taking him into the Ped to discuss trying a different dose or medication, as Im thinking that 20mg may be too much for him.

Does anyone have any advice for younger kids and medications?

Thank you, and very grateful to have stumbled upon this message board.
The Following User Says Thank You to andiemarie For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-05-17)
Old 10-05-17, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,868 Times in 11,047 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medication questions

You're on the right track talking to the doctor about trying a lower dose again,
since he saw some benefit before the dose was raised.

But I would recommend asking for a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in
kids with adhd and associated disorders. What you describe might be ODD or
simply frustration due to the adhd. A psych would be the best person to figure
that out.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Caco3girl (10-06-17), namazu (10-05-17)
Old 10-06-17, 09:32 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
You're on the right track talking to the doctor about trying a lower dose again,
since he saw some benefit before the dose was raised.

But I would recommend asking for a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in
kids with adhd and associated disorders. What you describe might be ODD or
simply frustration due to the adhd. A psych would be the best person to figure
that out.
Excellent advice!

Often times if a kid is ADHD they have another condition. I have said before, based on my own experience, pediatricians aren't the best people for this. They don't spend a lot of time in medical school talking about it, because there is no immediate treatment. You can tell if an infection is getting better, you can tell if a fever is going down, you can tell if you reset the broken bone correctly....getting a child to explain how he feels on and off his medicine is not an easy fix.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-06-17), Lunacie (10-06-17), meret96 (11-15-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-17, 05:50 PM
Jr Member

Thank you both so much for great advice. I really appreciate it!!

My son has been seen by a psychologist who did his assessment. He had just turned 5 when it was done, which is so young, but nevertheless, he was diagnosed with ADHD with ODD...
We are on a wait list for an ADHD clinic in our city at the children's hospital, which I guess takes awhile. We also see a counsellor but will be phasing away from that as she specialized in preschool age children. That was quite helpful, but I feel like we need more of an "expert", such as a psychiatrist/psychologist.

Would a psychiatrist be a better fit than a psychologist? Would a psychiatrist have better insight on medications? I believe psychologst might be more helpful for therapy, but can not prescribe meds.

Thanks again
namazu (10-07-17)
Old 10-07-17, 06:25 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

A psyche would be a much better fit. Is Biphentin like ritalin?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 10-07-17, 07:53 PM
Jr Member

Yes, I believe it's a form of ritalin, but slower release... so lasts longer.

Do you mean a psychologisit or psychiatrist? Not sure what psyche means
Old 10-08-17, 07:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiemarie View Post
Hello,

I am new to this forum. My 5 (almost 6) year old son was diagnosed about 6 months ago. We have been doing therapy and also started him on biphentin started low dose, now up to 20mg. It seemed to be helping at first, but with the side effects of not eating much and hard time to fall asleep..

We are finding lately that it actually isn't really helping, he's still been very defiant at school (hitting, not listening to his teacher, distracted etc) and then when the meds wear off, he is very emotional and just a mess..

I took him off the meds as he eats, sleeps and is easier to deal with in general. I plan on taking him into the Ped to discuss trying a different dose or medication, as Im thinking that 20mg may be too much for him.

Does anyone have any advice for younger kids and medications?

Thank you, and very grateful to have stumbled upon this message board.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145739

my son is 21 now but this was my story.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 10-09-17, 09:41 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

My son has both a psychologist and a psychiatrist. The psychologist TALKS TO HIM, they talk about problems, any issues, and helps him think through things in a non-confrontational way. His psychiatrist takes his blood pressure, asks us how the ADHD medicine is working, and writes him a new prescription. We are out in 5 minutes.
Old 10-10-17, 04:10 AM
Mod-A-holic

I meant a psychiatrist.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 10-19-17, 11:55 PM
Jr Member

Thank you both for the info. I have been doing some research on which dr will be a good fit for our son as well as asked the ped to refer us to the local ADHD clinic as they are known to be very good in our city. He has been assessed by a psychologist but I didn't feel my son had a good connection with that one, so I will try to find one as I do think we may need all the help we can get.

Sarahsweets- thank you so much for sharing your story. I can relate to many of the things you talked about, and although my son is only 5, I feel like you gave me hope. He is a bright boy and very sweet, so I want to give him the best chance, I love him so much. It is very challenging for my husband, myself and our other child, so hopefully with support we will be ok.
sarahsweets (10-20-17)
Old 11-11-17, 02:13 PM
Jr Member

Hi again,

I just wanted to post again regarding my now 6 year old son who is adhd/odd. We saw his ped recently to talk about changing or lowering meds and he thought since the biphentin 20mg was not helping to try non stimulant med to see how he reacts. He is now on 18mg of strattera for 2 weeks then he will up the dose to 25mg. Apparently this drug takes weeks to start to take effect and there are many side effects. I am "hoping" it helps as this school year has been very difficult for my son and I am really hoping this will help him. We will see, but I am worried of course.

I also asked the ped if he thinks we should see a psychiatrist. He thinks at this point, he wants to take it one step at a time and see how he makes out on the med and then come back in before Xmas to reassess. I am sure he means well, but I feel like we need more support and am still ready to pursue looking on my own. If we don't get a referral, I will go the private route (we have decent insurance) so should get at least 10 sessions a year through insurance then pay out of pocket. If the ped gives us a referral it will be covered through medicare (we are in Canada), so I will continue to push for the referral.

Does anyone have any experience with Strattera? I haven't read too much about it yet, but am curious if anyone had good experiences with it.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-12-17, 06:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Hi again,

I just wanted to post again regarding my now 6 year old son who is adhd/odd. We saw his ped recently to talk about changing or lowering meds and he thought since the biphentin 20mg was not helping to try non stimulant med to see how he reacts. He is now on 18mg of strattera for 2 weeks then he will up the dose to 25mg. Apparently this drug takes weeks to start to take effect and there are many side effects. I am "hoping" it helps as this school year has been very difficult for my son and I am really hoping this will help him. We will see, but I am worried of course.
I personally would have asked or recommended an amphetamine since the methylphenidate class of drugs wasnt working because your son's problems are acute as well as long term.

Quote:
I also asked the ped if he thinks we should see a psychiatrist. He thinks at this point, he wants to take it one step at a time and see how he makes out on the med and then come back in before Xmas to reassess. I am sure he means well, but I feel like we need more support and am still ready to pursue looking on my own. If we don't get a referral, I will go the private route (we have decent insurance) so should get at least 10 sessions a year through insurance then pay out of pocket. If the ped gives us a referral it will be covered through medicare (we are in Canada), so I will continue to push for the referral.

Does anyone have any experience with Strattera? I haven't read too much about it yet, but am curious if anyone had good experiences with it.

Thanks again!!
I really really urge you to find a psychiatrist and then stop using his primary to treat his adhd. If your son had a broken leg you would see an orthopedist, not a rheumatologist right? Yes the doc could mean well but 'meaning' well does nothing to address his trouble at school and now you are faced with trying to cope for six weeks to see if straterra even helps. What is he supposed to do in the meantime? Have meltdowns at school and home and lose all his homework and struggle to pay attention in school? And then after that start another med? The time you are wasting with straterra could be used to trial two medications if need be.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 11-14-17, 01:54 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I personally would have asked or recommended an amphetamine since the methylphenidate class of drugs wasnt working because your son's problems are acute as well as long term.

I really really urge you to find a psychiatrist and then stop using his primary to treat his adhd. If your son had a broken leg you would see an orthopedist, not a rheumatologist right? Yes the doc could mean well but 'meaning' well does nothing to address his trouble at school and now you are faced with trying to cope for six weeks to see if straterra even helps. What is he supposed to do in the meantime? Have meltdowns at school and home and lose all his homework and struggle to pay attention in school? And then after that start another med? The time you are wasting with straterra could be used to trial two medications if need be.
What is the difference between amphetamine and methylphenidate? I understood biphentin was a stimulate, meaning it was a type of amphetamine? Sorry, I am still learning, so it's still all confusing. Is strattera known to not be a helpful medication with adhd/odd?

Thanks, I understand and I agree, I am working on it
Old 11-14-17, 02:35 PM

Thanked 31,823 Times in 14,336 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is the difference between amphetamine and methylphenidate? I understood biphentin was a stimulate, meaning it was a type of amphetamine? Sorry, I am still learning, so it's still all confusing. Is strattera known to not be a helpful medication with adhd/odd?

Thanks, I understand and I agree, I am working on it
both amphetamine and methylphenidate are stimulants (as is coffee, for example). the difference is the chemical make up of the stimulant. amphetamine based medications are adderall/dexedrine and methylphenidate based ones are ritalin/focalin/biphentin/concerta.

some people find one of the other works better. in other words, if biphentin (methylphenidate) isn't working well, a lot of people will try and amphetamine based medication (like dexedrine) next.

strattera can work for some people, but it's less likely, i would say. it's a repurposed antidepressant (SNRI). i hope someone whose child takes it can come on here and speak to their success/concerns as i cannot.

best wishes to you,
-peri x
Old 11-15-17, 08:21 PM

meret96 is on a distinguished road

I just want to say I am an adult who has been on medication since I was in 3rd grade and I am kind of disgusted that i was forced to take medicine when i didn't have the choice to really learn to cope with it. It is 100% possible and my troubles finding what medicine works for me has been my biggest struggle in life. I just turned 21 and i finally think I'm onto the right medicine for me. That's 12 years of my life struggling with a lifestyle i did not choose. I'm not saying that medicine is always the wrong choice by any means, but just think about the long term and if you want your child relying on medication their whole life. Now that the rant is done I think its really smart to get out of the pediatrician and into a specialist. Pediatricians really seem to know close to nothing about the specifics of ADHD and this way there is someone who truly understands the mind and body of an ADHD child and can really make huge leaps towards success. It was life-changing for me. It's all a process so don't get frustrated when different medicine's don't work. It's really a journey to finding what's right for your child and i commend you so much on trying to help your child. They will thank you someday