ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-17, 08:54 AM

Curmudgeon is on a distinguished road
Day Planners?

So do you use day planners to help manage your life? If so, do you use paper planners or electronic calendars?

I have bounced back and forth between using electronic calendars (such as Google Calendar) and physical planners (Franklin Covey).

I like the multi-platform versatility of Google Calendars but it doesn't have other features that I find useful in a physical day planner, such as goal setting pages and daily notes pages (where I make notes on things that have happened during the day that I don't want to forget).

On the other hand, my Franklin Covey dayplanner is bulky compared to a smartphone which has my Google Calendar on it, and can be somewhat inconvenient to carry with me from place to place. Some people complain that it's easy to lose a dayplanner, but I have never had that problem.

For me, if I was forced to choose only one way of keeping track of my life, I would probably choose the physical dayplanner for its versatility. The bulkiness and minor inconvenience of carrying it around do not outweigh the things I like about it.

So, how about you, what are your thoughts?
Old 11-12-17, 09:42 AM
Jr Member

Cat Noir is on a distinguished road
Re: Day Planners?

Hi,

I used to use my phone specially Grid dairy and notes where as I write all groceries or make a do list, I don’t use google calendar or anything like that. I have two physical calendars one personal and one for appointments I also print out monthly school calendar and hang it on the memo board. I also have a dairy with goals and other dairies how ever after having all off this I still struggle to keep and stay on track. Specially on my phone as soon as I lay my hand on my phone I’ll get distracted by emails or texts or I just go on Pinterest or watch Netflix stuff like that.

I prefer physical calendar because that way I will some how remember that I had made a note some where I know it’s easy to use electronic like the phone because you carry it with you unlike the paper calendar which I always forget to take with me :/
Old 11-12-17, 11:00 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,676 Times in 8,849 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I'm old school and much prefer the handwritten forms of my attempts at planning.

Dry erase boards and a monthly planning calendar rock my world, along with a pocket sized notebook for random thoughts and such.

The technological advances are great for those whose brains jive well with that stuff, but mine apparently isn't one of them.

I also have a weird feeling about putting my whole life and brain into a little gadget, then not having that gadget operate when I need it the most, or forgetting the damn password to access it.

But I also feel the same way about ATM machines and such.

I could much more easily grab a few bucks from under my mattress than I could get it electronically if something were to render the ATM machines unusable.

Isn't it great we have SO MANY options? Or is it? The paradox of choice strikes again.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-12-17), Cat Noir (11-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-17, 11:59 AM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold

I can't use day planners or electronic planners. I've tried, but I just end up ignoring them. The only thing I use is a calendar on my wall and the only reason I use that, is because I don't have to open anything, type anything, etc. It's just there and I can just look at it with no effort. I write all our appointments and activities on it and glance at it now and then.

For things like keeping track of when tests are due for school and stuff like that, I literally print out the schedule, highlight the important dates and tape it to the wall! Yes, it's sad and pathetic, but that is the only way I will look at something, if it's right there in front of my face for me to see!

I do set alarms on my phone for reminders, but half the time I ignore those, too.
Old 11-12-17, 02:25 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

In the last month or so, I've been trying different apps to manage my time, make notes of things I want to remember, or things I want to get done.

Previously, I usually just made notes to myself on 3X5 cards, the backs of junk mail envelopes and on my wall calendar. LOL...But it wasn't a very organized system: cards got lost, I couldn't find which envelope I had written a note to myself on, etc. It hasn't been a very efficient way of doing things.

So I've been trying all sorts of apps, including various to-do apps such as Microsoft's To-Do, Todoist, Remember the Milk, Google Keep, etc. For note taking, I've tried Microsoft's OneNote and Evernote. I've also been using Google Calendar a lot lately. And I've tried Microsoft's Outlook 2016.

The ones I've been using the most are Google Calendar, Todoist, and OneNote. I also like Outlook, especially the new Android version for my phone.

I put all my appointments in Google Calendar which sends me reminders.

For tasks that I need to get done for the day, I've found Todoist to be very useful. The nice thing about Todoist is that if I assign a due date for a task, it automatically puts that task on Google Calendar for me and when I've done that task and checked it off, it removes it from the calendar. Todoist also sends task reminders to my phone and to my email and I can even set location based reminders so that, for example, if one of my tasks is to "Buy milk," it will send a reminder to my phone when I go to the supermarket (it's triggered by GPS). Todoist lists overdue tasks and has a reschedule feature which will even suggest new due dates for them. And I can put tasks into categories such as Home, Grocery Shopping, Bills, Personal, Work, etc, and I can share certain categories with someone else. For a category such as "Home" where tasks are shared with my partner, we can assign tasks to each other. Or if I'm at the grocery store, my partner can add a grocery item to the Grocery Shopping category in the Todoist app on his phone and I'll see it in that same category in the Todoist app on my phone. And there is also a desktop version of Todoist that syncs with the phone app version.

I haven't used it very much yet, but I think that OneNote will be useful. It would be quite easy to keep a daily diary of some sort in OneNote. There is also a OneNote clipper on my Internet browser that allows me to clip images of whole web pages along with the link to that web page and send it to OneNote where I can organize these things that I've found on the Internet by putting them into folders. I even have an ADHD folder in OneNote where I've put Internet links and images of interesting articles or studies I've found about ADHD that I want to save or look at later. And there is a phone app called Office Lens which I can use to take pictures of documents or anything else and it will automatically send those images to OneNote. They are usually sent to a place in OneNote called "Quick Notes" where they can be sorted later and put into folders. And you can have multiple notebooks in OneNote and each notebook can be organized however you want to organize it. And with my phone, I can use Google Assistant to send notes to OneNote. All I have to do is say to my phone, "OK Google" and when Google Assistant comes up, I just say, for example, "Note to self...buy dog food". And it is transcribed and sent to the Quick Notes section of OneNote.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Cat Noir (11-13-17)
Old 11-12-17, 02:39 PM
Contributor

Location: ny upstate where there are cows and trees and stuff.
DJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to allDJ Bill is a name known to all

When I was a kid, my parents kept a large blank calendar on the kitchen wall. Any appointment, event, and deadline was written there.

As an adult I have tried countless day planners, electronic gadgets, etc. and I still have many of them used for a week or two. I knew I needed to keep better track of things and felt like something was wrong with me because I couldn't it seemed. That led to a constant undercurrent of anxiety because of thoughts like" What did I forget?? Was it something I had to do by yesterday? What's my locker combination?"

The only thing working for me nowadays is my white board calendar. The backup is my phone calendar, but it can be and often is lost. For weeks...or more! My therapist tried to get me to use his "Message Center" card system. That didn't work either.
Old 11-12-17, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I use a physical day planner. I can't keep it together without one. I Prefer one that also has a month at a glance so I can see how my month is shaping up as well. I can end up overlooking myself if I don't see what's going on for the month.
Old 11-12-17, 04:56 PM

Thanked 21,900 Times in 7,983 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Why is my print so much smaller than everyone else's.
Old 11-12-17, 06:11 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bill View Post
That led to a constant undercurrent of anxiety because of thoughts like" What did I forget?? Was it something I had to do by yesterday? What's my locker combination?"
Occasionally, I've been in the process of getting money out of my checking account at the ATM and couldn't remember my PIN number (and it's the same PIN number I've been using for over 30 years, too). That really panics me a little when it happens and I have to walk around for a few minutes until I finally recall it and go back to the ATM.

I've had trouble keeping track of user names and passwords, too. I have them written on 3x5 cards. But they're not on there in any sort of order. Some cards have several passwords on them, some on both sides. So, when I need to look up a password or a username if I can't remember what it is, it takes me a while to go through all the cards, one-by-one, looking at both sides, until I find it. I've solved this problem by putting all my passwords into a password manager. There are several of them, most with free versions. I've been using LastPass and have it both on my desktop and on my phone.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 11-12-17, 06:54 PM

Thanked 12,595 Times in 5,585 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

For tasks and calendaring with integration to Google, I use any.do

For passwords and suchlike, 1Password has been a godsend.

Things written, whiteboard or post-it-note, journal or back of hand, equals hopeless.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 11-13-17, 01:03 AM

ChRoTa3 is on a distinguished road

I use an agenda and a white board to help me keep on track. I've found that if I write something down, I'm more likely to remember it.

Phone calendars and all the Apple reminder stuff doesn't really do it for me. It's more of a hassle to mess around with apps than it is to just jot something down imo. However, I do sometimes make a list of things to do around the house and then set a timer on my phone for each item. If it weren't for that, I'd never eat or have clean laundry lol
The Following User Says Thank You to ChRoTa3 For This Useful Post:
Cat Noir (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 02:37 AM

DeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of light

I lately use google KEEP. It is not so much a calendar, more like a place to put all my tasks, ideas and open points in, sort them through, and for the most important things & appointements i can then set scheduled reminders/notifications.

It works better that way for me, as schedules/calendar formats just give me stress. especially on my job they prevent me from going into hyperfocus - I fear the dread of coming out of it for a scheduled appointment, so i avoid it to begin with which leads me to procrastinate till the next scheduled event.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (11-13-17)
Old 11-13-17, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutter View Post
I lately use google KEEP. It is not so much a calendar, more like a place to put all my tasks, ideas and open points in, sort them through, and for the most important things & appointements i can then set scheduled reminders/notifications.

It works better that way for me, as schedules/calendar formats just give me stress. especially on my job they prevent me from going into hyperfocus - I fear the dread of coming out of it for a scheduled appointment, so i avoid it to begin with which leads me to procrastinate till the next scheduled event.
I like Google Keep as well. It also puts things on Google Calendar and you can tell Keep to make a note verbally, and it will transcribe it for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-13-17), DeClutter (11-16-17)