ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 11-12-17, 01:48 PM

pete2018 is on a distinguished road
Question Does it sound like a ADHD for toddler ?

Hello,

Our 2 ½ yr old son is lately showing sudden behavior issues, where its becoming tough to control him. He has been a emotionally sensitive kid, got scared big few times between age of 12m and 24m & also used to display anxiety outside. He started stuttering after one such stressful episode. He always had a bad sleeping routine where he used to be restless/hyper during last 2 hr before sleeping. From last 2-3 weeks he has changed a lot – can’t sit at all even for secs, talks excessively & even shouts, fidgets a lot, uncontrollable tantrums outside where it becomes impossible to manage him, always hyperactive. On the good side his social anxiety/fear has all gone.
1. Can it be something other than ADHD, seeing his history of being in distress and then stuttering ?. Can ADHD be diagnosed reliably at this age ?
2. I have read ADHD is hereditary but I have also read stress\ptsd can have similar signs. What is your opinion about cause of ADHD ?
3. Will it always be difficult to manage him if he has ADHD & upto what extent he can have a normal life ?
4. Is getting external therapy really important OR what few things we can try at home to ease him or improve him ?

The Following User Says Thank You to pete2018 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-14-17)
Old 11-13-17, 06:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does it sound like a ADHD for toddler ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2018 View Post
Hello,

Our 2 ½ yr old son is lately showing sudden behavior issues, where its becoming tough to control him. He has been a emotionally sensitive kid, got scared big few times between age of 12m and 24m & also used to display anxiety outside. He started stuttering after one such stressful episode. He always had a bad sleeping routine where he used to be restless/hyper during last 2 hr before sleeping.
Re: the suttering: Has this been discussed with his peds doctor? There is a difference in stuttering as it relates to whats considered a speech problem vs something related to toddler development or even anxiety. As kids learn to talk sometimes they can stutter when they dont have the vocabulary to express themselves. When you say hyper before sleeping, what do you mean?

Quote:
From last 2-3 weeks he has changed a lot – can’t sit at all even for secs, talks excessively & even shouts, fidgets a lot, uncontrollable tantrums outside where it becomes impossible to manage him, always hyperactive. On the good side his social anxiety/fear has all gone.
Has anything traumatic happened recently? It could be a result of something that happened recently that rocked his world. Its very hard to decipher normal fidgeting and toddler ants in the pants at age 2.5.

Quote:
1. Can it be something other than ADHD, seeing his history of being in distress and then stuttering ?. Can ADHD be diagnosed reliably at this age ?
2. I have read ADHD is hereditary but I have also read stress\ptsd can have similar signs. What is your opinion about cause of ADHD ?
3. Will it always be difficult to manage him if he has ADHD & upto what extent he can have a normal life ?
4. Is getting external therapy really important OR what few things we can try at home to ease him or improve him ?
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145739

This is my son's story. He was diagnosed at age 3.5 and medicated at age 4. He is 21 now about to get an international internship, graduating with his associate's degree and tranferring to a four year school for his BS. And he's in Honors.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-14-17)
Old 11-13-17, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,868 Times in 11,047 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There are several things, both physical and neurological/brain, that share
overlapping symptoms with ADHD.

But real ADHD is either inherited or caused by brain injury trauma.

Do you have or suspect any family history of ADHD?

If you truly suspect your son may have experienced some trauma leading to
PTSD, a good play-therapist can help sort things out and relieve some of the
stress.

adding: some examples
My niece was in a really bad car accident in her 30's which caused brain
damage, and suddenly she shared many of the symptoms of ADHD.

My sister was diagnosed with cancer and the treatment caused what is
called "chemo brain" which resembles ADHD in some ways.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-14-17), mildadhd (11-14-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-17, 11:05 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hello,

Our 2 ½ yr old son is lately showing sudden behavior issues, where its becoming tough to control him. He has been a emotionally sensitive kid, got scared big few times between age of 12m and 24m & also used to display anxiety outside. He started stuttering after one such stressful episode. He always had a bad sleeping routine where he used to be restless/hyper during last 2 hr before sleeping. From last 2-3 weeks he has changed a lot – can’t sit at all even for secs, talks excessively & even shouts, fidgets a lot, uncontrollable tantrums outside where it becomes impossible to manage him, always hyperactive. On the good side his social anxiety/fear has all gone.

I think Sarah had a very unusual case. I also think her son didn't have an abrupt change, ADHD doesn't just come on.

It sounds to me like your son is growing up and exploring himself and his boundaries. Kids go through phases. Ride it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-14-17)
Old 11-18-17, 09:38 AM

Invisibleink is on a distinguished road

It can’t hurt to mention it to his ped, and even without a diagnosable problem they often have helpful advice and can tell you what red flags to watch for. they do call it “terrible twos” for a reason, though! Lots of changes happening. Keeping a log can be helpful for if you need it later, including when your child reaches milestones.

If there’s a known traumatic event or you’re already seeing several delayed milestones (speech, motor, etc) then it sounds like an appt with the ped should be a priority.