ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 11-13-17, 09:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Would you encourage or allow your kids to play Football? (American football)

My kids are older and never took to sports. My son had coordination issues and my girls liked activity and my daughter did don 4 years of color guard and one bowling season but they both let it go.

Whenn my son was about 7.5 we signed him up for pee-wee football. We got all the gear. He didnt do well with soccer and liked to rough house so I thought why not?
I always thought it was dangerous to have such tackling when the kids were son little and the difference in weight for kids on the same team seemed like a lot for me but I second guessed myself and we lived in a sports heavy town I thought it was just that I didnt know enough.
I was nearly 8 months pregnant at the time.
They made these kids practice until it was dark out in the pouring rain. They hollered and it was not a teaching sport for kids like my son.
I raised the kids to think: "its not about winning or losing,its about how you play and if its fun"
My hubby and I did sports and we never became pushy demanding parents. We have always been very layed back.
So I have his three year old sister and husband after work and me huge and preggo all hanging around these muddy fields til 830 at night.

I went into labor early and the day I had my third daughter he missed the practice the day before the first game. Of course he missed it we had a baby born!
They benched him the next day because if you miss the practice before you are benched-it didnt matter. So I said F this and pulled him out.

Now that I see all the stuff out about TBI especially the professional teams covering up what the doctors all new I am wondering if anyone has let their kids play or would?
In hindsight it was all for the best.I wasnt a fan of the football teams' atmosphere in the older grades and I dont think the values that I had would have jived.
There is newly released research that I will have to dig up about how NO kids should play football due to the risks associated with concussions and TBI and the developing brain. The adult players are being diagnosed with some serious sh*t now and its absolutely life threatening.
I heard some expert say letting your kid play football is child abuse.

what do you all think? I havent made up my mind yet about it.

xxxooo
sweets

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-13-17), Little Missy (11-14-17), Lunacie (11-15-17)
Old 11-13-17, 10:04 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,676 Times in 8,849 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Would you encourage or allow your kids to play Football? (American football)

I wouldn't want my kids to participate based on the proven significant harm potential, as well as the fact that football is so heavily monetized now and full of BS marketing and such, like most everything else, but to a nauseating extent, to me, as with superbowl sunday commercial hype and such.

How many people remain starving in the US, many on the streets right outside of these football arenas, while companies happily fork out millions of dollars for a g__ d___ chance to advertise their product for a few seconds. Insanity at it's worst from where I'm standing.

I used to be a big fan back in the day, and would stay glued to the TV every weekend and Monday night, shoving down tons of harmful substances known to most as food, buying up useless memorabilia and other poorly made items that were likely made in China to support American football (just like the flags are), and yelling and cursing and celebrating like a big dog, just like I saw other adults doing in my life from birth.

However, now I much prefer scenes of a healthier co-creation kind of vibe rather than a heavy "at all costs" competitive kind of vibe that ensures significant medical issues either in the immediate or down the road, especially now that it's coming to light just how harmful it will be for those who partake. Don't have to tell me twice, especially when it comes to kids whose brains and bodies are still very much developing.

As with many other areas of my life, once my awareness has been heightened to the reality I never knew I needed to be paying attention to, my opinions and habits changed and I can't no longer pretend I don't know, nor can I pretend to actually enjoy things that bring others so much harm in the name of "entertainment".

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-13-17), Little Missy (11-14-17)
Old 11-13-17, 10:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,281 Times in 10,250 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would you encourage or allow your kids to play Football? (American football)

I would never encourage, but I would allow it and I wouldn't sit there and watch boring to me.

I'd rather see a child develop musically. My daughter plays the oboe and very well too.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-13-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-17, 11:00 AM

Thanked 12,595 Times in 5,585 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the currently understood science as it regards TBI and later degenerative sequelae, absolutely not.

I have arranged for my brain to go to the Traumatic Brain Research Center at Johns Hopkins upon my death, given how many times I was concussed as a child.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (11-14-17)
Old 11-13-17, 11:57 AM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold

No, I wouldn't. I keep hearing about sudden unexplained deaths in kids during football practice, too. That, in addition to the stuff about TBI in adults, is just one big NOPE!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-17, 12:25 PM

Thanked 31,823 Times in 14,336 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

no, definitely not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-17, 10:09 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

I played sports, my kids played sports and hate to disagree but I think sports is about having fun WHILE winning. If one of my kids team looses it;s not the end of the world and no one gets punished or anything crazy but if you aren't playing to win there is NO point in playing.

I can't tell you how many high school kids just don't want the ball. Be it a soccer ball, basketball, football, lacrosse ball, or a baseball....if they are just there to play and have fun they will be cut from the team. You have to WANT the ball, you have to go after it with everything you have and if that means you slam into a fence while catching a foul ball so be it.

Sportsmanship is also high on my list. You don't get ticked that the opposing team just hit a home run you tip your hat in acknowledgment of an excellent hit. You don't bad mouth the catcher that just threw you out, you tip your hat in acknowledgement that yeah, he got you. You don't talk back to the umpire that just called your beautiful pitch a ball and not a strike you ask your catcher to ask the ump where you missed, and you adjust your pitch location.

My son came to me for the first time in May of 8th grade and said the 9th grade football team was forming and he wanted to be on it. I said OK! The weight training over the summer was wonderful! The team unity was great! Overall it was a great experience. However, I did tell him he could only do 2 school sports, so this year he picked basketball and baseball and football wasn't missed. It turned out he didn't make the basketball team, over 90 kids were there for 20 spots, it was a fierce competition and at the end of the day those 20 kids wanted the ball more than my kid, and that's okay. Baseball is in January :- )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-14-17), Little Missy (11-14-17)
Old 11-15-17, 05:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you mean Caco girl. I played soccor and softball my whole life until 18 in the travel rec league and did cheer for two years as well. I did winter track for 1 year and marching band. I was in all the plays in HS and have a minor in theatre now. I cant tell you how badly I wanted one of my kids to do sports but specifically when it comes to football, I am so glad I didnt get beyond practice with my son.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), stef (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 09:03 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I get what you mean Caco girl. I played soccor and softball my whole life until 18 in the travel rec league and did cheer for two years as well. I did winter track for 1 year and marching band. I was in all the plays in HS and have a minor in theatre now. I cant tell you how badly I wanted one of my kids to do sports but specifically when it comes to football, I am so glad I didnt get beyond practice with my son.
Over dinner last night my 8 year old daughter got VERY riled up. She went on and on and became more animated because a BOY told her that girls couldn't play sports because girls can't catch a ball if a guy throws it. (Not sure what that has to do with girl sports vs boy sports but I went with it), she then proceeded to tell me that she had that boy throw a basketball, soccer ball, tennis ball, and football to her and she caught them ALL and then went over to the boy and said "See, I can catch anything that you throw which makes what you said TOTALLY FALSE!....lol...she was so pumped it was funny! What can I say, she wanted "the ball".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), Fortune (11-15-17), Fuzzy12 (11-15-17), Lunacie (11-15-17), stef (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 01:57 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,114 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

In light of the recent findings: no, the risk of concussion is just too high.
But i would do everything possible, to find another activity ( sports or otherwise).
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 03:07 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,057 Times in 9,324 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

With all the stuff about tbi and cte I would never let a child of mine play football. I mean, said child may come out okay, but may not. How could I responsibly roll the dice on that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), stef (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 04:08 PM

Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,676 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

American Football? Is that the featherweight sport where grown men stand around doing absolutely nothing 95% of the time due to commercial breaks?

To be honest, I think there are far more dangerous sports than American Football. Most of the bad things that occur to American Football players are usually a result of an underlining condition which can be triggered by any strenuous physical sport.

I certainly wouldn't let it put people off wanting to participate though, the vast majority of complications are rare and are usually a result of undiscovered conditions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), Little Missy (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 07:43 PM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post

To be honest, I think there are far more dangerous sports than American Football. Most of the bad things that occur to American Football players are usually a result of an underlining condition which can be triggered by any strenuous physical sport.

I certainly wouldn't let it put people off wanting to participate though, the vast majority of complications are rare and are usually a result of undiscovered conditions.
Okay, this is literally false. You are spreading misinformation. The concussions aren't due to underlying undiscovered conditions, and no one with any credibility has made any such claim in the history of discussing football concussions. CTE is an underlying condition caused by repeated concussions. It is not caused by anything else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-16-17), Greyhound1 (11-15-17), Lunacie (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 07:48 PM
I eat shades of red.

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-16-17), Greyhound1 (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 07:51 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,887 Times in 6,201 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't allow a kid to play football from what we now know. The brain of a 27 year old football player.

Aaron Hernandez

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/aar...searcher-says/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-16-17), Lunacie (11-15-17)