ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-13-18, 12:13 PM

MMIRENE is on a distinguished road
treatment going sideways? HELP with experience

Hello ,

I was hoping someone can share from experience... i was diagnosed a few months ago at the tender age of 32 after suffering very much for years without any idea as to why im such a looser... turns out im not , im actually very smart, above average IQ and with Ritalin in my tool kit i went back to finish my degree and so far i have amazing success after years of banging my head against the wall trying to prove im more then what i can muster on paper ...

anyway , after a good run with regular Ritalin i asked to switch to Ritalin LA because i found it hard to remember to take the medication every 4 hours during a work/school day ... i tried Ritalin LA before on a much lower dosage for about a month and it was side effect free ... but this time around after a couple of days on the pills in my full dosage i started filling like im getting the flu , a couple of days later i had a big Asthma attack at which point i was admitted to the hospital , stopped with the Ritalin for a few days because i had to take Prednisone and those together mean no night sleep at all . but i kept feeling sick , i had recurring episodes of fast heart beat and shortness of breath and cold sweat , but without any exertion... and it was the same weather i took the Ritalin or not for days . now 2 weeks later , still no change. has anyone had any experience with something similar when switching from regular to LA ? or does this has anything to do with Ritalin at all ? im just scared my doctors are going to just forbid me from taking the medication that changed my life , just because they are prejudiced and it might not be the problem at all !!!
Old 04-13-18, 04:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: treatment going sideways? HELP with experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMIRENE View Post
Hello ,

I was hoping someone can share from experience... i was diagnosed a few months ago at the tender age of 32 after suffering very much for years without any idea as to why im such a looser... turns out im not , im actually very smart, above average IQ and with Ritalin in my tool kit i went back to finish my degree and so far i have amazing success after years of banging my head against the wall trying to prove im more then what i can muster on paper ...

anyway , after a good run with regular Ritalin i asked to switch to Ritalin LA because i found it hard to remember to take the medication every 4 hours during a work/school day ... i tried Ritalin LA before on a much lower dosage for about a month and it was side effect free ... but this time around after a couple of days on the pills in my full dosage i started filling like im getting the flu , a couple of days later i had a big Asthma attack at which point i was admitted to the hospital , stopped with the Ritalin for a few days because i had to take Prednisone and those together mean no night sleep at all . but i kept feeling sick , i had recurring episodes of fast heart beat and shortness of breath and cold sweat , but without any exertion... and it was the same weather i took the Ritalin or not for days . now 2 weeks later , still no change. has anyone had any experience with something similar when switching from regular to LA ? or does this has anything to do with Ritalin at all ? im just scared my doctors are going to just forbid me from taking the medication that changed my life , just because they are prejudiced and it might not be the problem at all !!!
So you haven't taken it for two weeks and still having those symptoms? I would go to your MD or even back to the hospital. Heart palpitations and shortness of breath without any exertion could be any number of serious issues. That isn't normal.

I googled Ritalin induced asthma and found two people mention it on HealthBoards.

Quote:
Asthma Worsened by Stimulants?
Hello everyone,

I have been dx'd with asthma. I also have a neuromuscular disease that causes extreme fatigue and I was prescribed Ritalin (a stimulant) for it. It worked wonders for years until I began having breathing difficulties when I took the Ritalin. I then was dx'd with the asthma and advised to stop the Ritalin. I had always though that stimulants like Ephedra were helpful with Asthma symptoms, but I was taking Ephedra for weight loss and the attacks were worsened. I also started on Wellbutrin (another stimulating drug...) for depression- bad attacks. I still have occasional moderate attacks, but it's terrible when I take a stimulant. My Dr. says he doesn't know why, and he doesn't seem to care, as long as I keep returning for appts. with $$$ to pad his fat wallet. Any ideas on why the stimulants are causing an opposite effect? I am newly dx'd and I don't know much about asthma yet. Thank you so much for any help!!!
Quote:
Stimulants trigger my asthma.... including caffeine.

Has your doc been able to find a different medication to replace the Ritolin?
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 04-13-18, 04:50 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Was the Ritalin LA the only medication you were taking?

According to the FDA, methylphenidate is eliminated from plasma with an average half life of about 3.5 hours. So, with no methylphenidate left in your system, I can't imagine how it could still be producing the same symptoms after 2 weeks.

I've had a serious, life threatening reaction to a medication before, although it wasn't an ADHD med. I also had an acute asthma attack and was rushed to the emergency room. I ended up spending a week in the hospital including a day in the ICU. But once the medication was stopped, I gradually improved.

I would be inclined to think that it's something else besides the Ritalin LA, especially since the active ingredient in the Ritalin LA is the same as in the IR Ritalin that you had been on.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-18, 04:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Is ritalin your only option?

I carried a watermelon?