ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-23-18, 10:28 AM

JustBS is on a distinguished road
Question Considering a referral but don't know if it's all in my head

Hi there,

I'm a 20 year old university student in need of some advice. I was always a relatively good student in school but I always lacked self-discipline and attention. I would always hand things in late but still get decent grades.

In recent times at university things have taken a turn for the worst as I find it increasingly difficult to stay on top of my work and the other areas of my life. My course also has a light workload relative to other uni courses.

I always scoffed at the idea of ADHD until recently I re-examined it due to the issues I am experiencing. I am considering a referral to a psychiatrist from my GP but I still have self-doubt and am not sure if its all in my head.

Most of the symptoms below I have experienced from a young age and particular ones seem to have gotten worse with age. Please let me know whether you think I should get a referal.

Matching Symptoms:
- I知 easily distracted, I overlook details (purchasing incorrect things often by not paying enough attention), submit tasks late and at the last minute
- If my interest is piqued I become totally engrossed and lose track of time
- I have trouble keeping track of tasks and due dates, I forget to pay bills if they aren稚 automatic
- If I知 not interested in something that I need to do I will procrastinate until the last minute and then force myself, often failing, to focus and get it done
- I am constantly forgetful, I often leave the house without things I need to bring, I forget important events and dates
- In conversation I accidentally interrupt people and often finish their sentences
- If procrastination gets disastrous I値l fall into a demotivated slump that makes it even harder to get stuff done
- From a young age, I致e felt as though I never live up to my potential even if I try my hardest I cannot seem to apply myself properly/stick with things
- I知 almost constantly restless (unless interested), I constantly fidget, get up and move around. Shortly after beginning a new activity I find myself switching to another one of many that I had already started earlier
- I have difficulty sleeping due to an inability to unwind/quiet the mind, this gets especially bad if something has piqued my interest
- I can rarely remember to take medication daily for more than a week
- A lot of my relationship issues are to do with me forgetting to do something I said I would
- I cannot focus in a classroom for more than a few minutes. In university the majority of the time is spent fidgeting or daydreaming
- Feel overwhelmed even with a relatively light workload
- Brother and uncle diagnosed with ADHD

Doubtful Symptoms:
- Social interaction with friends is easy but social interaction with strangers is very difficult, I find small talk boring
- I知 not hyperactive asides from fidgeting. However, as a child, a lot of the adults around me would comment on my high energy levels
- My room is not 杜essy, I kind of hide the mess. My storage/unseen areas are completely cluttered but the general area is not messy unless I知 stressed
Old 04-23-18, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,543 Times in 6,492 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering a referral but don't know if it's all in my head

Based on what you said, get an assessment at once.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-23-18)
Old 04-23-18, 12:40 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,850 Times in 13,043 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, get an assesment. And you already have a referral

You have many of the symptoms I have. For 10 years I was sure I probabaly had adhd but it didn't seem "very severe". I finally was diagnosed last October. It changed my life.

Don't wait until you are 49!
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-23-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-18, 01:05 PM

Thanked 6,372 Times in 3,046 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

It is all in your head. Where else would it be?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-23-18), Little Missy (04-23-18)
Old 04-23-18, 05:06 PM

Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,193 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely ADHD is in your head ... it's a brain condition ...

Dude, nobody lists all those problems and symptoms ... who is making it up! I'm having a hard time you really THINK you could be making this up ... if "making it up" is what you mean by "it's all in my head."

Given our egos ... and our desire to not be diagnosed and labeled .... the fact that you are giving this even an OUNCE of time and energy indicates to me that these problems are major and debilitating ... You've pushed them out of your mind before ... you have minimized these problems ... we all do that ... but you keep returning to the sense that these are real problems ....

BTW: do your friends or work associates ... or family members point out these symptoms?
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
stef (04-24-18)