ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-27-18, 12:27 PM

wawaloo will become famous soon enough
Post Not sure about diagnosis

Hello everyone So here is my story.

I am 29 years old male, in a job that involves a lot of responsibility and paperwork. I have always had difficulty in doing whatever I think is boring, like sitting in a chair and focusing on paperwork or studying things I do not have an interest in. On the other hand, if something interests me it is
super-easy to focus and in fact I might even ignore to eat. Time management is another problem, I am know to be chronically lateI am always organising the "perfect" plan, putting it down on paper or in excel but I never execute it, or if I start it only lasts for a few days until I come up with a better plan or give up alltogether. However I seem to manage my life mostly fine - except some problems at work (being late and turning in paperwork in time). I was seeing a therapist for the past year and she suggested I get tested for ADHD, which I did, and I was above cut-off for inattention while being close to the cut-off for hyperactivity. I can by no means be described as hyperactive, I am a very calm person, but I like the feeling of being on "the go", of activity. I don't seem to fit in the stereotype for ADHD and also I am not very impulsive. I easily drift into daydreaming mode, though, wondering about interesting theories, life etc. I can also get somewhat obsessive, I want things to be a certain way (e.g. where I put my stuff). Nothing extreme, though. Others describe me as a social and "comfortable" person. I am wondering how much any of you connect to my description. I am still doubtful about the "ADHD diagnosis" but I feel that sharing experiences is important as well besides the clinicials assessment. Thank you all
The Following User Says Thank You to wawaloo For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-27-18)
Old 04-27-18, 11:23 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,066 Times in 7,502 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Not sure about diagnosis

Quote:
I am wondering how much any of you connect to my description.
haha, you mine as well have been talking about me and my difficulties!

Quote:
I have always had difficulty in doing whatever I think is boring, like sitting in a chair and focusing on paperwork or studying things I do not have an interest in. On the other hand, if something interests me it is
super-easy to focus and in fact I might even ignore to eat. Time management is another problem, I am know to be chronically lateI am always organising the "perfect" plan, putting it down on paper or in excel but I never execute it, or if I start it only lasts for a few days until I come up with a better plan or give up alltogether.
Yep! This all sounds awfully familiar to me!!

Quote:
However I seem to manage my life mostly fine - except some problems at work (being late and turning in paperwork in time).
There's lots and LOTS of people with ADHD who lead very successful and enjoyable lives! Lots of them here on these forums too.

I view ADHD as a spectrum disorder.
On the far left of the spectrum is SEVERE ADHD...this means your ADHD would be holding you back in all aspects of your life that living unassisted would be so difficult that you simply wouldn't be able to get by without a lot of help from others.
On the other side of the spectrum to the far right you have HIGH FUNCTIONING ADHD...over here you'd still have ADHD, but you'd be able to manage it and work with it and it wouldn't be a major issue to you. You'd be able to live a normal life.

Now most people don't fit into the far left or the far right...but in between them. You also slide around on the spectrum...some days are worse then others. Sometimes you wake up and can hardly drag yourself out of bed. Can't focus on a thing. Keep forgetting things, etc. etc. The next day you might wake up and everything just lines up for you...you have no problem getting up and dressing and showing up to work or school on time and being laser focused on your work...etc. etc.

Sorry for the long ramble there. I'm just saying that just cause you are able to lead a stable life...doesn't mean you can't have this disorder. It just means you're more of a higher functioning ADHD'er.

Quote:
I was seeing a therapist for the past year and she suggested I get tested for ADHD, which I did, and I was above cut-off for inattention while being close to the cut-off for hyperactivity. I can by no means be described as hyperactive, I am a very calm person, but I like the feeling of being on "the go", of activity. I don't seem to fit in the stereotype for ADHD and also I am not very impulsive. I easily drift into daydreaming mode, though, wondering about interesting theories, life etc. I can also get somewhat obsessive, I want things to be a certain way (e.g. where I put my stuff). Nothing extreme, though. Others describe me as a social and "comfortable" person.
There's 3 kinds of ADHD
Hyperactive...this is the type where kids are running up walls and can't sit still. The dare devils jumping out of planes and taking risks. Hyper. Driven.
Inattentive...This is the daydreamers. Difficulties with paying attention and focusing, staying on task, completing things and having finding time management a real struggle.
Then...and this might be where you fit...there's
Combined. It is just as it sounds. A combination of the 2 above. Where you have symptoms from both.

I'm very much so Inattentive and don't relate at all with a lot of the Hyperactives...and vice versa, a lot of the Hyperactives wouldn't be able to relate with me.

Quote:
I am still doubtful about the "ADHD diagnosis" but I feel that sharing experiences is important as well besides the clinicials assessment. Thank you all
I was only diagnosed a few years ago...but I still doubt my diagnosis sometimes. I've actually seen that this is fears/doubts shared by quite a few here on these forums.
What has helped the most...is just being a part of these forums and seeing that other people struggle just as I do. It reinforces that I'm not just making this stuff up, or whatever. It's like I have proof that my struggles are legit because other people have the same struggles. haha I feel like I'm doing a horrible job of explaining this.

Another BIG thing that has helped me with my doubts...is education. Learning more and more about this disorder. I still struggle understanding ADHD (especially the scientific bits lol)...but I have come a long ways over the past 3 years, and the ore I understand it, the less doubt I have.

Anyhow...sorry for the long reply! I tend to do that sometimes! I hope I haven't bored you to sleep haha.

Big welcome to the forums! I hope you find lots of support and answers here!

(((Bro Hug)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (05-06-18), ToneTone (04-30-18), wawaloo (06-18-18)
Old 04-30-18, 01:19 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
haha I feel like I'm doing a horrible job of explaining this.
I think you did a good job of explaining everything.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (04-30-18), wawaloo (06-18-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-18, 04:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I wish there was a better way to explain hyperactivity because all people think about are hyper little boys running around schools or that annoying person in the office who talks a million miles a minute, talks over others and literally jumps from one thing to another.
I am combined and my symptoms have morphed since childhood. In childhood the inattention to detail, consequences and hyperfocus were big issues.

My hyperactivity was described as being a "social butterfly" (cause I am a girl) and I was always talking, in other people's business and getting up from my seat. As I got older in my late teens, early 20's and being unmedicated the ability to distract myself and get involved in more adult things overshadowed my hyperactivity. I was the girl who always had fun and brought fun with her everywhere I went. I have always made friends easily and have friends everywhere. Then the BPII and addiction pieced took off and that's how things went for awhile.I wasnt medicated for adhd or BPII until I was an adult-first the bpII then the adhd-and its been a total of 17 years that I have had medicine. My hyperactivity as someone who has only been sober 5 years is now pretty bad. At first it was mental hyperactivity- mind always going and that is discounted a lot when people talk about adhd. Now I also have dysthkensia and the adhd restlessness. In meetings if someone sits too close to me and doesnt know me I warn them that I can drive people crazy and it wont offend me if they want to move.

I think in years to come someone will figure out a way to make diagnosable differences between childhood adhd and adult adhd and figure out a way to use those distinctions in diagnosis and treatment. In a way I feel that the parameters that exist now as it applies to using childhood symptoms in adult treatment, are either hugely bigly wide open...and its easy to discount an adult getting diagnosed and treated properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaloo View Post
Hello everyone So here is my story.

I am 29 years old male, in a job that involves a lot of responsibility and paperwork. I have always had difficulty in doing whatever I think is boring, like sitting in a chair and focusing on paperwork or studying things I do not have an interest in. On the other hand, if something interests me it is
super-easy to focus and in fact I might even ignore to eat. Time management is another problem, I am know to be chronically lateI am always organising the "perfect" plan, putting it down on paper or in excel but I never execute it, or if I start it only lasts for a few days until I come up with a better plan or give up alltogether. However I seem to manage my life mostly fine - except some problems at work (being late and turning in paperwork in time). I was seeing a therapist for the past year and she suggested I get tested for ADHD, which I did, and I was above cut-off for inattention while being close to the cut-off for hyperactivity. I can by no means be described as hyperactive, I am a very calm person, but I like the feeling of being on "the go", of activity. I don't seem to fit in the stereotype for ADHD and also I am not very impulsive. I easily drift into daydreaming mode, though, wondering about interesting theories, life etc. I can also get somewhat obsessive, I want things to be a certain way (e.g. where I put my stuff). Nothing extreme, though. Others describe me as a social and "comfortable" person. I am wondering how much any of you connect to my description. I am still doubtful about the "ADHD diagnosis" but I feel that sharing experiences is important as well besides the clinicials assessment. Thank you all

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
wawaloo (06-18-18)
Old 06-15-18, 03:07 PM

ImaADHDGuy is on a distinguished road

The easiest way I can describe the hyper you don't see is that it's introverted hyperactivity. That is, thoughts are hyper but that doesn't translate into hyper behavior, it translates into inattentiveness to the outer world.
Old 06-18-18, 11:11 AM

wawaloo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaADHDGuy View Post
The easiest way I can describe the hyper you don't see is that it's introverted hyperactivity. That is, thoughts are hyper but that doesn't translate into hyper behavior, it translates into inattentiveness to the outer world.
Thanks, this very much resonates with my experience!