ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-25-09, 04:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

ustilago will become famous soon enough
Re: 50 conditions that mimic ADHD, PART I

Better late than never eh?

Stress management group was canceled after our third meeting because it was down to two of us and that's too small to call a group. . .

Anyway, one of the handouts in the first session listed Behavioral, Mental and Relationship symptoms of stress, a number of which that I found remarkably similar to AD(H)D symptoms.

Behavioral:
Difficulty sleeping, emotional outbursts, irritation/anger/aggression, excessive eating/loss of appetite, difficulty relaxing, avoidance, withdrawl, inactivity
Mental:
forgetfulness, dull senses, low productivity, negative attitude, confusion, lethargy, whirling mind, no new ideas, boredom, spacing out, negative self talk, poor concentration.
Relationship:
Isolation, intolerance, resentment, loneliness, lashing out, hiding, clamming up, lowered sex drive, nagging, distrust, lack of intimacy, using people, fewer contacts with friends.

I exhibit about 95% of these symptoms. . . is it stress, AD(H)D, depression, all of the above, none of the above, something else entirely?
Old 01-27-09, 06:03 PM
Contributor

kettish will become famous soon enough

So, could an untreated concussion as a child cause ADHD that simply went undiscovered for years? Head trauma is one thing I've got to look into for myself. :P

Does herbicide poisoning cause ADHD symptoms only when it's occuring, or does the damage after the fact also mimic ADHD?

And I've got to look into the unipolar depression thing. What's the difference between that and inattentive-type ADD, and how would I be able to tell?
Old 03-23-09, 12:46 AM
Contributor

indy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to all

oh man, where to start?

some of these conditions are sooo rare and do not present with ADHD symptoms at all. somebody else went through the entire list with good counter points so i won't do it, but i believe posting something like this is quite alarmist.

adhd-combined type
manic depressive
obsessive compulsive

(yeah, i'm a DSM index )
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-09, 12:49 AM
Contributor

indy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to allindy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettish View Post
So, could an untreated concussion as a child cause ADHD that simply went undiscovered for years? Head trauma is one thing I've got to look into for myself. :P

Does herbicide poisoning cause ADHD symptoms only when it's occuring, or does the damage after the fact also mimic ADHD?

And I've got to look into the unipolar depression thing. What's the difference between that and inattentive-type ADD, and how would I be able to tell?
my brother had a traumatic brain injury when he was 2 and he has extreme ADHD symptoms.

unipolar depression isn't anything like ADHD. depression includes emotional and psychological symptoms that can occur with ADHD but are not ADHD. suicidal thinking/gestures. constant low psychological behaviour. it's just not ADHD.

adhd-combined type
manic depressive
obsessive compulsive

(yeah, i'm a DSM index )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indy For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-23-09), jawnyg (04-13-09)
Old 04-07-09, 06:46 PM
Contributor

kettish will become famous soon enough

I've read a lot of places (especially Sari Solden's book) that depression can look a lot like inattentive ADD, in addition to oftentimes occuring with it. And depression is not limited to suicidal thinking and gestures; a lot of people are depressed for a long time before arriving at suicidal ideations or behaviors, so that can't be used as a diagnostic basis.

And doesn't inattentive type ADD include "constant low psychological behavior"? I'm not trying to be a b*tch, I'm just trying to clarify, because your statement seemed a bit contradictory.
Old 04-13-09, 05:15 AM

jawnyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy View Post
my brother had a traumatic brain injury when he was 2 and he has extreme ADHD symptoms.

unipolar depression isn't anything like ADHD. depression includes emotional and psychological symptoms that can occur with ADHD but are not ADHD. suicidal thinking/gestures. constant low psychological behaviour. it's just not ADHD.
I had a severe head injury when I was four, my head bounced off of the dashboard and I still have the Jeep oil gauge ring right in the middle of my forehead. I assume that is enough to cause some frontal lobe damage. I have spent the rest of my life in and out of depression and wold be brought to tears trying to force myself to focus in school. I was recently diagnosed, again, for ADHD. The first time three years ago, I was diagnosed ADHD and Bi-Polar so I was put on Depakote and that sucked the life out of me. Recently I the test results just say ADHD and I have been put on Adderall. From my reading I definily match may of the symtoms of ADHD-PI and there is a very strong connection to head trama. Is this really common? Is your brother ADHD-PI?

Jawnyg
Old 04-25-09, 02:00 PM
Contributor

Infinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the rough

No one has mentioned PSTD as mimicking ADHD yet.

I found this artical which looks good.

http://www.nhchc.org/Network/Healing...alingHands.pdf

Now if we adress CPSTD which is say someone who is brought up in a dysfunctional home and was bullied etc . from age what Five?

which By the way is why many children who have ADHD are treated. poorly ..

I suppose the thinking would be then these ADHD "like' symptoms would be long standing also . so that would rule out long standing as a positive indicator of ADHD,

talk about caught in between a rock and a hard place.. :P

So I guess having had to be put in a harness at a age two and three because the child was bouncing off the walls running at nine months never learned to walk first.

might THAT qualify ..

I really think people need to be given meds ( If they want to try }to see if it will change thier lives when these fine points are being discussed while people continue to suffer..
PERIOD .

If the person gets worse . it may mean another problem exists . Or try something else.

I guess this is yet another draw back of an individual whos sought help for years and the diagnosis of ADHD is missed and you have all the trauma stuff out there so theres this .

"Oh wait ."
it may not be that.

For cry out loud.

Infinity~
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinity For This Useful Post:
tammysue120 (11-20-12)
Old 05-27-09, 07:04 AM

raen has a spectacular aura aboutraen has a spectacular aura about

That is a fantastic list. As far as others who disagree, just to bust your chops, Don't you guys watch House ?
Old 05-27-09, 07:56 AM
Contributor

γ-quantum has a spectacular aura aboutγ-quantum has a spectacular aura about

too impatient to read pages 2 and 3, hope this hasnt been said, but i got another one to add:

X) children (and adults) not being kept appropriate to the species.

i think working 20 hours a day with 2 hours sleep a day, all sitting in front of a pc without any physical activity, but lots of mental stress instead, is NOT an appropriate to the species life for most people.

as a side note... wow, here i found another dozen comorbid disorders / causes i could have. yay?

for example, i was never checked for heavy metal poisoning. that could be, i guess. i ate a lot of mercury as a kid (swallowed my many amalgam fillings while eating seafood).
Old 07-27-09, 10:23 PM

friya47 is on a distinguished road

Life stresses can cause some of the same symptoms of a ADHD children Life altering such as moving to a new town and/or school, traumatic experiences, any form child abuse, the death of a loved one, divorce and even the birth of a sibling. It is imperative that the diagnosis be conducted by a medical professional who is trained in wide variety of child and adolescent disorders.

Last edited by livinginchaos; 07-27-09 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: edited out solicitation link
Old 08-25-09, 05:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road

Welp, the doc finally got back to me, turns out I don't have ADD (still think I do to a certain extent, but I got a new thing to add to this list

Post-chemotherapy cognitive impairment (also known as chemotherapy-induced cognitive dysfunction, chemo brain or chemo fog)

"Memory loss, attention deficits, difficulty learning, and mood changes are commonly reported side effects of chemotherapy."

I had chemo almost 9 years ago
Old 08-26-09, 10:46 PM
Contributor

Infinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the rough

Hi Bob,

When I read NINE yaers I thought.. BS ! but apparently its possible .

If you had the syptoms befor chemo that would point to ADHD.

Don't let that keep you from getting meds..

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatmen...uestion_04.jsp

Infinity~
Old 08-27-09, 08:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bobthebuilder is on a distinguished road

I had chemo when I was 11 (19 going on 20 now)... so I honestly didnt notice much from chemotherapy... I did notice a slow decline in my grades, and a lingering sense of impending doom which struck last semester.

I can't seem to focus on things I don't want to do, like HW, and stuff, unless I do it at the very last minute. And I believe that aspect... 'laziness' as it seems, has been around before chemo. Even going through Chemotherapy, I felt very indifferent through the whole process... I just was along for the ride so to speak. I'm still like this today, I live day by day, and have little motivation to do otherwise.

They said I wasnt as figity as and ADDer would be. But I know i am !%#!ing figity. Right now I'm sitting on my chair backwards, in some weird position. I've always played with random things laying around... and I'm pretty damn impulsive.

Well I set up an appointment with a Pdoc, I think a little push could go a longgg way in my situation, so that gives me hope.
Old 08-27-09, 08:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

MADD_MEN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
I had chemo when I was 11 (19 going on 20 now)... so I honestly didnt notice much from chemotherapy... I did notice a slow decline in my grades, and a lingering sense of impending doom which struck last semester.

I can't seem to focus on things I don't want to do, like HW, and stuff, unless I do it at the very last minute. And I believe that aspect... 'laziness' as it seems, has been around before chemo. Even going through Chemotherapy, I felt very indifferent through the whole process... I just was along for the ride so to speak. I'm still like this today, I live day by day, and have little motivation to do otherwise.

They said I wasnt as figity as and ADDer would be. But I know i am !%#!ing figity. Right now I'm sitting on my chair backwards, in some weird position. I've always played with random things laying around... and I'm pretty damn impulsive.

Well I set up an appointment with a Pdoc, I think a little push could go a longgg way in my situation, so that gives me hope.
Not all ADDers are figity. If you're ADHD-PI or combined, you may not be figity. Although, it does sound like you may be figity.

Focalin: 5 mg 2-3x/day
Bupropion: 150 mg/day
Lamictil: 100 mg/day
Clonazepam: 1 mg/as needed
Self-deprecation: 500 mg 10x/hour
Old 08-30-09, 10:55 PM

kendrabean is on a distinguished road

Maybe I just didn't see it...but how is anxiety/depression NOT on here? They have identical symptoms sometimes. So much so that most are diagnosed with anxiety instead of ADHD.