ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 01-21-18, 09:38 PM
Jr Member

apertxre is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm just really quirky?

Hello! I've introduced myself like twice today, but I'm AJ and plan on getting tested for ADHD soon. You can say that I'm a little afraid of being wrong about it. But I do always feel like something's wrong with me.

My mom said I was pretty slow, and moody as a child. My grades dropped as I got older, and school work became more frustrating. Growing up I ran and danced around the house a lot. I made various dumb decisions that could have gotten me hurt. My friends didn't like me and called me random and annoying. I only had friends for a short period of my life, actually.

Right now, I'm in college. I am pretty impulsive, and make dumb decisions. But it seems like not in the way DSM describes. More so saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, weird uncontrollable facial expressions, and blurting things out uncontrollably (which is a recent thing). I've developed the habits of rocking back and forth or side to side when sitting (some have pointed it out), I also often wring my hands. I miss the professor's instructions a lot, procrastinate, and I even avoided going to come classes because of group work. I'm always clueless in it.

But yeah. It might just be that I was born slow but.

The truth is:

I am a toy that people enjoy

'Til all of the tricks don't work anymore

And then they are bored of me.

~♬~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apertxre For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-08-18), Little Missy (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 09:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,396 Times in 12,059 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maybe I'm just really quirky?

Don't worry, you'll be able to easily find a psychiatrist in East Lansing.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-21-18)
Old 01-22-18, 01:11 AM
Jr Member

I got so scared that you knew my location then realized it’s in my profile thing aha

The truth is:

~♬~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apertxre For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-08-18), Little Missy (01-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 11:24 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,356 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi AJ,

Reading between the lines in your post, you have concerns that you may have ADHD and some concern that you may not. I am a list kinda guy and my nature to address anything normally starts off w/ making a list and then working the list. Maybe you can list out what problems or concerns you have about yourself. Then for each problem/concern write down specific instances w/ details of when that problem/concern has negatively impacted your life. Something like impulsive behavior then something like bought a car that you didn't need and had to file bankruptcy, quit your job to take a vacation you couldn't afford, broke-up w/ your fiance, because.....you get the idea. Keep it updated as you recall incidents or as they occur. After a while you'll know if there is a problem or not and if so it will help you to get a good evaluation by a Doc.

LN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-22-18), ToneTone (01-29-18)
Old 01-22-18, 02:13 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hi AJ,

Reading between the lines in your post, you have concerns that you may have ADHD and some concern that you may not. I am a list kinda guy and my nature to address anything normally starts off w/ making a list and then working the list. Maybe you can list out what problems or concerns you have about yourself. Then for each problem/concern write down specific instances w/ details of when that problem/concern has negatively impacted your life. Something like impulsive behavior then something like bought a car that you didn't need and had to file bankruptcy, quit your job to take a vacation you couldn't afford, broke-up w/ your fiance, because.....you get the idea. Keep it updated as you recall incidents or as they occur. After a while you'll know if there is a problem or not and if so it will help you to get a good evaluation by a Doc.

LN
I can do that! Thanks.

The truth is:

~♬~
Old 01-28-18, 05:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think regardless you should seek out therapy(esp if you have student counseling services on campus as a part of your school). Some of the issues you mentioned can be anxiety-or anxiety from untreated adhd or both. The rocking reminds me of someone who has sensory issues as well. I think you need to find out what your insurance covers and make an appt to see a psychiatrist.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-29-18), ToneTone (01-29-18)
Old 01-29-18, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,220 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly you have some struggles that are impairing your ability to study and to socially connect with others.

Don't worry about the diagnosis at this point ... Just be ready to meet with someone and tell them of the problems you're having ... You could have ADHD and/or other conditions.

Either way, it sounds like you could benefit from some therapy and treatment.

Get to the best therapist you can find and perhaps the best psychiatrist you can find, and they will help identify a diagnosis ... But the main thing is that if a behavior or pattern is interfering with your life--seriously interfering--then getting help is really smart ...

Good luck.

Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-29-18), Pinkyswear (01-30-18)
Old 03-08-18, 04:05 AM
Jr Member

freshish is on a distinguished road

Hello, any updates? Did you get diagnosed?
Old 06-05-18, 12:17 AM

smileypiles is on a distinguished road

I sought a diagnosis at around 26. And I'm so bloody glad I did, because it enabled me to allow myself the space and time that I needed to get things done my own way. Before then I would just bully myself for as long as it took to start course work, get chores done, etc. The diagnosis hasn't made getting those things done easier, but it has made my self talk a LOT less negative.

If a counsellor is available at your uni that's a great start. They might be able to talk to you about possible concessions that are available for people who learn differently, and small things can really make a difference.

Your story is so much like mine! I think that when you live with undiagnosed ADHD for a long period of time it's hard to know the difference between you know, being you vs your ADHD. It wasn't until I started learning more and more about ADHD that I was able to realise I was doing these things ALL the time, that they weren't just me being an intense person, a scatter brain, off with the fairies, excitable, and ohhh so emotional...

My school reports (I looked at them in the process of getting diagnosed) go from "smart but needs constant reminding to stay on tast" to "smart but doesn't apply herself" to "smart but only applies herself to tasks she enjoys, very disruptive in class, shows promise but needs to focus more". Mum said in year 8 (beginning of high school) they told her I'd be dux (top of the school) and in year 9 she cried at my parent teacher interviews. In year 12 (final year) I was an inch from being expelled.

I put struggling more and more with my ADHD down to the more independent and self directed you are expected to be at school. It wasn't an issue in early primary school because children are expected to need constant reminding to stay on task and stay focussed, and not being hyperactive I didn't have disruptive behaviour. So I was a weird kid, but not a problem kid.