ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 04-06-19, 10:07 AM

Hann91 is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Bad memory

Iíve known Iíve had ADHD since I was a teenager, but was only diagnosed 5 months ago as it was starting to seriously effect my job and home life. Iím on medication with helps my fidgeting, concentration and sleep, but my memory is still really bad. I donít seem to be able to take anything in and constantly forgetting to complete tasks my manager has asked me to do.
I used to work in a 6 bed hostel, which was fairly calm so I could organise myself and managed the task I had to do. but now I work in a 30 bed hostel and it can very very chaotic and disruptive.
Iíve adapted fairly well to working there, but thereís because thereís so much going on, I donít seem to be able to remember things that people are asking me to do. I have a good understanding of my job and do remember to do my Ďknowní tasks. But if my manager will ask me to do something that isnít in my normal routine, I just donít seem to be able to take it in. Itís getting to the point where it is seriously affecting my ability to do my job.

Had anyone got any suggestion or resources thatíll help me?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hann91 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-16-19), namazu (04-06-19)
Old 04-06-19, 11:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and Bad memory

I have short term memory issues as well and its worse when I have my period (tmi). My hormones seem to make me scattered sometimes. What I *think* helps me is my medication, but also fish oil. I cant explain why but I noticed it when I ran out of it for a month. I also use lists-hand written ones. I have tried reminders on my phone but I just ignore and dismiss them and forget about them. I went to the dollar store and bought a small hard backed notebook and write everything down there and carry it with me in my purse with a pen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hann91 View Post
Iíve known Iíve had ADHD since I was a teenager, but was only diagnosed 5 months ago as it was starting to seriously effect my job and home life. Iím on medication with helps my fidgeting, concentration and sleep, but my memory is still really bad. I donít seem to be able to take anything in and constantly forgetting to complete tasks my manager has asked me to do.
I used to work in a 6 bed hostel, which was fairly calm so I could organise myself and managed the task I had to do. but now I work in a 30 bed hostel and it can very very chaotic and disruptive.
Iíve adapted fairly well to working there, but thereís because thereís so much going on, I donít seem to be able to remember things that people are asking me to do. I have a good understanding of my job and do remember to do my Ďknowní tasks. But if my manager will ask me to do something that isnít in my normal routine, I just donít seem to be able to take it in. Itís getting to the point where it is seriously affecting my ability to do my job.

Had anyone got any suggestion or resources thatíll help me?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-16-19), namazu (04-06-19)
Old 04-12-19, 09:57 PM

EnergonWaffles is on a distinguished road

Honestly I think you'll have to try ways to remember until you find what works for you!

My dad had ADD and he kept a palm pilot, or a phone that he kept a list on. That doesn't work for me, as I'll forget to check my phone for the list.

My mom didn't' have ADD, but she would sometimes keep a voice log.

I'm honestly still figuring out how to keep track, because I'll loose any piece of paper or notepad I make. Sometimes I'll change the screensaver on my phone to whatever I need to remember!

Since you're walking and moving around, whatever you use to keep track of tasks needs to fit in a pocket!
The Following User Says Thank You to EnergonWaffles For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-16-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-19, 06:08 PM

patrioticjay is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: ADHD and Bad memory

I am so glad that other people have this same issue. This usually causes more issues in my marriage than anything else. I don't remember small details AT ALL. But, I can remember specific things, things that matter the most. But, it does still upset my wife, rightfully so. I don't know if anyone else has experience with this?
Old 04-16-19, 10:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

20 years post-divorce I'm still scratching my head over whether I truly forgot
things my husband told me ... or whether he thought about telling me things
but didn't actually do it. Definitely some issues over this in my marriage.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-16-19), Little Missy (04-16-19)
Old 04-16-19, 10:44 AM

Pukena is a jewel in the roughPukena is a jewel in the roughPukena is a jewel in the rough

I make lists. For my job I have a laminated piece of paper with lines wider apart than what normal lined paper is, and square boxes at the end of the lines. Somehow the graphic layout is easier for me to work with when check-boxes are already in place, and the lines for tasks are wide apart.

Electronic gadgets to not(!) work for me- they are too easy to forget.

Every morning when I meet for work, I fill out my daily list with a marker, and make sure there are blank lines for the tasks that tick in during the day. This works for me, and is very low-practical. And the alcoholic marker and laminated piece of paper means that it doesn't matter if I drop it in a stall (I'm a vet) or in a water bucket.

I also have a work-bulletjournal, to help me write down new procedures, follow up on this that needs follow-up and make notes og what's working for me in the workplace, and what's not. I keep this seperate from my daily bullet-journal, because it makes it easier for me to seperate my work-life from my private life, and hence not spend mental energy on one or the other at the wrong time.

You'll make it work for you, I know! You just need to find the method that works for you :-)

Love
Gitte