ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 07-27-13, 12:19 PM

banana25 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

At about 3 or 4 years old I was exploring the back yard (mum overlooking at kitchen window) when for some apparent reason I decided to put my head in the barbecue resulting in dad having to oil up my head and twist it to get it out. Meanwhile I was hysterically screaming.

At 6 I push my 'friend' who was irritating me, down the stairs.

At 7 my parents purchased brand new fly screens around the house including my bedroom. I examined the new fly screens in my room and was not having any of it so ran to the kitchen found a knife and slashed them.

At about 8 I jumped out of the car after mum stopped at the top of the driveway. I ran down and awaited the usual electric garage door go up. Except that day I had the urge hold on and go up with the garage. Mum was so angry. Even as a 8 year old I was too heavy for it and it broke. I was left dangling at the top with mum grabbing my legs to get me down.

At 15 I was examining my brothers epy pen as he is allergic to bees. I pushed down on in knowing what was going to happen but before I thought about it SNAP I injected my thumb/hand with adrenalin. You can only imagine adhd on more adrenalin!

A few years ago I was on a rampage looking for my mobile phone everywhere through my room. Swearing and moving things when my friend on the line said what are you doing! I said looking for my mobile. She replied umm babe your on your mobile to me.

I get people approaching me or asking very defensively (on buses, at restaurants, friends over lunch etc) WHY ARE STARING AT ME! And then snap out of it realising I'm day dreaming again. Once I was staring (accidentally) at a ladies chest area on the bus. I was mortified.
Old 07-28-13, 01:24 AM

Fancygirl is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the most negligent and silly things you have done because of your ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDisme2010 View Post
Went into gas station to pre-pay $40 for gas, drove off withOUT filling up gas tank.

Ended up in the ER, when as a child, tried to take my crutches down the steps...just for fun.

Walked off, quit without notice multiple jobs in moments of anger/impulse.

Was the worst waitress Ever, tried it for a month, could never remember who ordered what dish, etc...I now have a greater appreciation for good waitstaff and tip them well!

Multiple times a week, on impulse shopping trips, can not locate my vehicle in the parking lots.

Multiple times a week, forget to subtract money used on debit cards.
I, too have quit jobs without notice and each time will forget why I needed the job in the first place, that I am completely broke and just burned down another bridge with another employer who was DECENT to me. It's beyond frustrating how my impulses can completely obliterate everything and anything practical.

I have forgotten where I've parked numerous times and am found wandering aimlessly around the walmart parking lot trying to make my car alarm go off so I can find my car.

I'll go on shopping sprees and then leave a bag of expensive items at one of the stores I've shopped at. Have to frantically retrace my steps for lost goods! How embarrassing.

How about pulling up for gas and realizing its the wrong side then driving around and managing to be on the WRONG side again!! There's always multiple people pumping their gas around to witness my idiocy.

I forget important dates. Show up a day late thinking I'm right on time.

Or there's the time I took an accounting class 3 different times and FAILED it each time! What part of I really can't make my mind do math, don't I want to understand?

Checking facts at work. Check it. Leave the screen to put the fact in and forget. Go back to fact screen, look at number back to screen and forget again. Repeat 3 times for completion of a simple data entry.

I can manage to type up a letter just fine and think its great. I print and look at it and wow! the dates wrong. Correct and print again. Uh oh the address is wrong. And on and on. Details, details, details just won't register in my brain in any kind of efficient way! I can waste an hour on something completely simple.

Passwords!! I can't remember them 5 minutes after I do them. Plus you have to change all the time and do capitals and numbers. AAGHH. I spend half my time on the computer trying to figure out my passwords and if I happen to know that, its my username I can't remember. lol Right now I can't get into cinemax b/c I can't remember what I chose for a username. I feel like such a dummy-ALL THE TIME!
Old 07-28-13, 06:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

toxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of lighttoxicity is a glorious beacon of light

I did a great one last week! I was back in Paris (I live in the south of France) to get diagnosed about ADHD. It's positive. So since, every single weird thing I do is related to that and my brain is able to get that. But I did a very nice one which was hilarious for my family.

So 5 days after my appointment with the psychiatrist, I had to get back to my place in the south of France and leave my parents'place. With my father, we drove on the 20th of july to the airport (which is one hour away from home). I went through the security and to the gate. Once there, I was checking my seat on my boarding pass and realized that.... my flight was actually the day after. I just spaced out for a few minutes and went to see the ground agent to ask for the date. She told me : "We are the 20th of July!". I checked my boarding pass again and it's confirmed.... My flight was the day after : on the 21st. I did not told the ground agent of my mistake and went out of the airport. I tried to call my father for a few minutes but he never answered me because he was driving. I finally called my mother and asked her to pick me up. She also told me to stop to panic.

Because my parents and my sister know that I have ADHD, they were kind with me and forgave my mistake. What they don't know is that I spent one hour crying over that because, now I know that my brain is the reason for this kind of mistake. I really have a hard time knowing that I have ADHD and it's hard to accept that you have an IQ above the average but that you can not use it properly.

So finally, I was able to get the right flight the day after. I also never realized that someone from my job saw me that day at the airport. A pilot in my airline saw me going to take the flight on the 20th and then he saw me again on the 21st as a passenger on the flight he also was. He asked me and because that guy is very intuitive, he guessed my mistake.... He was laughing really hard and told me that it can happen and that it explained a lot of stupid stuffs I do at work in the crew room such as : buying a coffee and never drinking it, saying hello to him and 5 minutes after do it again, printing data about the flight and forgetting it for the flight....
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 01:21 AM

Sleepychan is on a distinguished road

Oh man, I made an account just to reply to this thread!

Last week I was wandering around CVS with my cotton brain and picked up a bunch of stuff that I didn't really need and forgot to grab what I actually went there for (shampoo and toothpaste).

Absentminded me walked out of the store carrying an armful of things, only to realize I didn't pay once I got to the parking lot. I yelped out loud and made this really awkward sound (eek!) and walked back into the store and sheepishly got in line. I had so many judgmental looks from everyone in line and there was only one check stand open and he was having some problem with his register. As I was standing there, I noticed the boy in front of me was a student I taught from kindergarten and he looked horrified to see me.

So awkward. The story of my life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleepychan For This Useful Post:
chipmunk (02-11-14), T____y (01-15-14)
Old 08-08-13, 01:06 PM
Jr Member

Brokenbrain is on a distinguished road

These are hilarious!!

I have gotten out of my car...left the keys in...the car on....in drive....with my mother in the car....on a hill! So as the car starts rolling backwards and I hear her yell... I dove in the window and pulled the parking brake. Thank goodness no damage and no one hurt, talk about not paying attention!!
Old 08-10-13, 05:16 AM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

Too many to name...

Locked my keys in the house
burned food
left milk on the table over night
put on mis match socks
misplaced my favorite oxycleaner

many, many more..

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (08-10-13), someothertime (10-02-13)
Old 08-11-13, 12:26 AM

doudaa is on a distinguished road

remember to pay my phone, only when they turn it off, every month for the last 10 YEARS or so.

Same for electric bill ( husband takes care of it now)

need to pay my last semester at the university so they can send me my diploma. I keep on forgetting and procrastinating.... it was in aug 1998...

I found a check that I forgot to deposit in my account dating from 2005.

drove with a foreign driver s licence for 6 months in 1992. Got it suspended because of few speeding tickets. Drove from 1992 to 2006 without a driver licence. Always told myself, I ll do it tmw.

always screams and go crazy looking for my 2 year old, until someone tells me she s right next to me.

I remember something from my childhood, then doubt if it was real or a memory of my daydreaming moments.

Learn the art of making people believe that Im listening to what they are telling me. I even can answer and not knowing what I m answering to.

Back in my home country after 14 in the US. Dont have my drivers licence. Got pulled over in 1995 while on vacation and they kept it. Never got it back. Now driving with a Florida Id card and making them believe its a US drivers licence. Got pulled over last december et they kept it.

I have 95000 EMAIL unread in my mailbox

I have 229 TEXTS unread on my fone

I never open my bank statements

Once, working in a restaurant, i lost a customer's black Amex

can go on all night!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doudaa For This Useful Post:
Baal Moom (08-13-13), someothertime (10-02-13)
Old 08-12-13, 08:08 PM

Lurtle will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure if all of my boo-boos can be chalked up to ADHD, but I like to think that way so I have an excuse!

1) I stopped to help people that hit the ditch in a blizzard. Did you know you should put an automatic car in park? Yeah. The car raced down the road, almost hitting another car head-on, went over a small bridge and was airborn for a few seconds, into the ditch.

2.) I bought a new truck when I was not eligible for good financing. It was a rough 5 years paying for it!

3.) I was focused on helping my bf's dad with something outside of their house and walked right off the patio. I landed on a pile of rocks surrounding their fish pond. I guess, as I was falling, I yelled "What the hell is wrong with me?!" (Now we know)

4.) It doesn't matter how little money I have, I will ALWAYS search for a way to spend it.

5.) I was focused on riding our bull when I was about 14. I kept getting told to stay away from him. He wasn't really aggressive but he had horns and could be a bit touchy if you weren't careful. Good news is, I rode him and didn't get hurt! (And, to this day, no one else knows!) You won't get hurt falling into a deep puddle of manure...ewwwww! I did get in trouble for getting so dirty and had to hose off outside with cold water.

6.) I always wanted a horse. I found one and brought her home. She lived in the back field for a few days before my mom found out. Not sure if that's ADHD but I was very focused!

7.) I quit a job I HATED, which was good, but I worked there 10 years and had plenty of opportunity to find new work, but I did it very spur-of-the-moment, on a whim. I always wonder, though, if I hadn't done it that way, would I still work there after 24 years?! Yikes!

I'm going to stop because I'm making myself look bad!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lurtle For This Useful Post:
someothertime (10-02-13)
Old 08-12-13, 10:36 PM
Jr Member

Jimmsie has a spectacular aura aboutJimmsie has a spectacular aura about

Oh dear, thinking of things to put on this list has made me wonder how it took me so long to figure out that I had ADHD.

- Once in college I had worked super hard on this essay, it was one of the few things I ever managed to turn in, but as I was leaving for class I realized I'd left the essay upstairs in my apartment. I left the car running to go get it, but of course the door was locked and my keys were still in the car. So I went back down to get the keys, and I realized that I had locked them in the car with the car running. A neighbor gave me a ride to the dealership to get a new copy of my key.

- There's a really nice man from the electric company that used to come to my house every three months or so to pick up my utility check. Unfortunately, the 2 or 3 times that I wasn't home to give it to him, he assumed I no longer required my electrical service and shut it off for me.

- Several times I've gotten up in the middle of the night to get my inhaler, found the days bank deposit in my purse (Several thousand dollars that I was supposed to take to the bank on my way home) and had to drive to the night deposit box at 2 am.

- Last month I left for work, opened up the store, started on my prep work, and only realized that I was still wearing my pajamas when I saw myself in the bathroom mirror.

- I called my allergist this morning to reschedule my appointment for this week. The receptionist was really confused because I had already called her on Friday and rescheduled the exact same appointment. I know I did it because I found the call in my cell phone log. I talked to her for 1 minute and 41 seconds and I have absolutely no memory of doing it.

- I left a pan of spagetti on the stove for so long I set the smoke detector off. I didn't even notice that the smoke detector was beeping until my roommate came to see what was going on. I had to buy him a new pan.

- I once got into my car and became very alarmed when I saw that someone had stolen all of my trash... and hung a really tacky Christmas tree air freshener from my rear view mirror... and replaced my aftermarket stereo with a factory one... and then I got out of whoever's car that was. The sad part was it a cavalier, and I drove a sunfire. It was at least the same color.

- On a similar note, my husband, then fiance, once cleaned out my car as a surprise for me. And I drove all the way from my house to work, thirty minutes, and only noticed that my mounds and mounds of garbage were gone when I was getting out.

- One time, I was watching Netflix on my TV before work and my phone beeped at me to plug it in, so I unplugged the lamp but my cell phone charger wouldn't fit in the space on the powerstrip, so I unplugged the VCR and moved it to the spot that the lamp was in then plugged in my charger where the VCR plug had been. (I know, who still has a VCR?) A few hours later, I get a call from work wondering why I'm thirty minutes late? I had been watching the time on the VCR in between episodes of my show... but it hadn't even occurred to me that I had reset the time to 12:00 when I unplugged it.

- I used to run out of gas about once a week between the ages of 16 and 21. I stopped doing that after the time I got picked up on the highway by a guy who looked like the unibomber and for some reason had 5 computers in his backseat.

- I make grocery lists at home and then leave them there every single time I go to the grocery store. If I go to the grocery store for just a few things I will get all the way around the store, have a full cart but none of it will be the things I went there to get.

- I left my Ritalin in my psychiatrist's office last week and she had to come after me to give it back.

- In my last car the dome light would automatically shut off twenty minutes after you shut your car off... My new car doesn't do that so I have to have my husband jump start it about once a month.

- I came home from work one day last April and my husband said, "Happy Birthday, Sweetie"... and that's when I remembered that it was my birthday.

- I frequently get 1/2 way to work before I realize that I'm supposed to be going to the grocery store... which is in the other direction.

- I had my driver's licence suspended twice for forgetting to pay a speeding ticket and didn't even realize it was suspended for over 6 months both times.

- And the #1 dumbest thing I've ever done... On my second date with my future husband I was arrested, spent the night in jail, and was then extradited to a neighboring county to attend traffic court the next morning because I had four outstanding fines for traffic violations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmsie For This Useful Post:
someothertime (10-02-13)
Old 08-12-13, 10:49 PM
Jr Member

Arrowheads15 is on a distinguished road

I've wasted at leas $2500 out of pocket in college tuition because I quit classes halfway through. And most of the time I have at least a B. It's my procrastination that gets the most of me. Womp.

Oh well. I always retake the classes I drop. They arent any easier the second time around but I'm more motivated to finish them. You would think I would have learned my lesson after the first incident......
The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowheads15 For This Useful Post:
someothertime (10-02-13)
Old 08-13-13, 03:13 AM

Lurtle will become famous soon enough

I've remembered more:

-started college twice and just stopped going.

-run out of gas a lot.

-I've never looked after any vehicle I've owned. Once something happens, I struggle and stress out trying to scrape together the money to fix it.

-even though I was driving on summer tires, in the winter, I HAD to go check out a road in the bush. 2 feet of snow, summer tires and a Honda Civic on a rutted backwoods road do NOT mix. Needless to say, I got stranded. Did I mention that I had a broken foot and arthritis in both knees? I hiked about 2 kilometres in agony, crying and freaking out, trying to get a cell signal. It was getting dark and I'd seen a cougar in the area once. Good times!

-I'm doing my family tree and have lost whole days, sitting at the computer. I've realized at 12:30 that I had NOTHING to eat that day.
Old 08-13-13, 02:46 PM
Contributor

Tony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of light

I can't even remember the really weird things I've done. I get reminded all the time, but I only recall the smaller weird things that I've done several times. Like...

-Looking everywhere for my phone that I'm holding in my hand.

-Paying for food at a drive-thru and then start to drive off before I get the food. And that behavior's cousin, having to be reminded to grab the cigarettes or whatever I bought from the counter when I'm halfway out the door.

-I'll be driving somewhere, zone out, and take the wrong exits or get on the wrong highways because I'm following my usual pattern--even to the job I haven't worked at in a year. I love it when the way I'm going can still lead to the destination and I can play it off like "this way is faster."

-And this one isn't small weird, but I've done it more than once. Showered, shaved, and ready to leave. Shirt on, coat on, shoes on, check for my wallet, keys, pho-and I didn't put on pants.
Old 08-13-13, 06:43 PM
Jr Member

cr8again has a spectacular aura aboutcr8again has a spectacular aura about

I tape shows to watch in bed at night. Numerous times I will lay there watching commercials and forget that I can skip through them.

Just today I made the syrup I make for waffles (no high fructose corn syrup) and I looked at my recipe card, went to get the baking soda and promptly put 1 tsp of baking POWDER in it.

A couple years ago when my husband worked out of town all week, I was getting my nightgown out of my dresser, opened the drawer and the microwave beeped that my plate of food was ready. I went and got it, came back to the bedroom,laid the plate on a pile of clothes in the drawer, got out my gown, closed the drawer, sat up in bed watched TV.....and found the plate the next day still sitting in the drawer.

I was in a boarding school years ago and was doing a load of laundry. I was waiting for the spin cycle to stop and I opened the door, I got sucked into a trance watching for a moment and then wondered in I could keep my finger on the agitator while it was spinning so fast. Of course I was standing on a semi wet floor barefoot with one hand on the metal washing machine lid....my finger touched the agitator and I was thrown a few feet back, knocked out and hit the wall behind me. Machine was not grounded.

I am sensitive to dogs barking. It drives me up the wall (not sure if ADD related or PTSD but I have the same with slammed doors, I will start crying and get mad) but I worked nights and would come home after 2am. My neighbors dog would be out and right outside my bedroom window was the dog. I went the whole route of calling her, calling the police, talking to her during the day etc. Got to where I would call and she would just hang up on me. I love dogs, but it was gonna be either her, me or that dog. So I went out, and unhooked the dogs chain (it was a 10 ft chain, hooked to the fence, walked the dog down the fence line with me on one side and dog on the other. I opened the gate and walked the dog down to the Boy's Club at the end of our block and hooked the dogs chain to their fence. never had a problem after that. (it was an Afghan Hound and gorgeous) not sure if this is passive aggressive or not, but if it had not worked I was going to sell the dog and send her the money anonymously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cr8again For This Useful Post:
doudaa (08-15-13), Tony72 (08-13-13)
Old 08-13-13, 07:25 PM
Contributor

Tony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of lightTony72 is a glorious beacon of light

That dog...just...

::slow clap::

And just realized this was in the women's section
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony72 For This Useful Post:
cr8again (08-14-13)
Old 08-13-13, 07:37 PM
Jr Member

cr8again has a spectacular aura aboutcr8again has a spectacular aura about

More just popped into my head:

When I was 6 I sat on a raft and just drifted out in the Chesapeake Bay watching the shore get smaller and smaller. Amazed at how small it was getting. All the while singing "We all live in a yellow submarine" over and over. I never panicked.
Finally the guy that rented rafts came out to get me. (father inside beach restaurant not paying attention)

Took boss's car to pick up lunch at KFC, went in, picked up order and walked back to work. I usually walked so it seemed ok.

MANY mornings husband turns on coffee maker to find clear water coming out as I forget to add the coffee.

When my daughter was born, I took her to a friends place. It was my first outing with her. I laid her on my friends bed, had a nice visit and left. Walked down three flights, got in the car, started it up and was backing out when my friends started running toward me yelling "You Forgot Sarah"!

I cut my coupons and make a list to go grocery shopping. Get to store-no coupons- no list.

I have farted or burped around others because I forget I'm actually in public and I lived with a deaf mute for 7 years. So I have sung out loud not realizing I'm around hearing people.

I'm not sure what my name is because when I got married 13 years ago I forgot to notify the SS office. When I renew my ID I just go by my maiden name on there, even though I use my married name on everything, even bank account and credit cards.

I have lost the pressure gauge to my pressure cooker and my husband keeps saying I should use that thing but I am ashamed to tell him I lost the gauge as he bought it for me as a present. I remember seeing it last year and thinking "oh ok so that's where it is, I'll remember so I can use it..."

When we were building our house I misplaced the new maglight flashlight. 3 years later when we decided to extend the kitchen, found it standing upright in the exterior wall. Still worked. I thought it had rolled off the tailgate of the truck.

Had to return money from an online book sale because I just could not put the books in the package and send them, although I had it all right here...tape and everything.