ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-12, 10:39 AM

kingsfan4life is on a distinguished road
Hey everybody

I'm a 21 year old male college student who has had trouble with ADD all his life. It's a strange story actually. My biggest problems have always been initiating tasks (which led to procrastination) and focusing on tasks unless it was at the last minute. I have always done very well in school but I was very smart and had a structured enough life that I didn't have TOO much time to waste, but when I could waste it I would.

I got into college and really started having problems. I would almost never study because I couldn't will myself to do it. I still did alright though because I could pay attention in class and take great notes. Friends were starting to notice my behavior though and it led to a lot of contention. Eventually I made it to a counseling psychologist trying to figure out what the causes of my distractions and inability to initiate tasks was. Eventually we came to the conclusion that it may be ADD and that I should see a psychiatrist. This was just in my last quarter because I was really starting to struggle with my classes because they were harder. I was also talking a lot with my mom and work supervisors and they were trying to help me figure out what was going on too.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to see a psychiatrist until after my trip to Uganda (in in Uganda now) but just a few weeks ago I was talking to my mom before I left and we had a heart to heart talk about my struggles and she revealed to me that I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and was on medication for some years. I had no idea about this!!! The answer to all my questions was sitting right in front of me the whole time. She just assumed I knew this and was shocked that I didn't. I was shocked too. I feel like I remember a LOT from my childhood but this I hardly remember. I knew I was on some anti-depressant medication as a kid but I did not know my trips to the psychiatrist were actually for ADD. My mom thought my struggles with ADD were over because I was doing so well in school. What really happened is that my behavior had vastly improved (I wasn't coming home crying anymore) and I just seemed normal functioning. The truth is I have always struggled with ADD and never knew what was going on. I didn't even know what ADD was. I would always justify my behavior with other things that turned out just to be my mind blocking me from realizing the truth.

Well now I'm volunteer teaching in Uganda but I can tell you I'm very much looking forward to getting to the psychiatrist when I return home. I've always thought of myself as a very meta-cognitive person and took pride in self control, but I did realize some things were just hard for me to do. I'm shocked I didn't figure this out earlier. I've been looking up info on ADD and now everything makes perfect sense. I joined the forum to keep learning more and to hear other people's experiences. Sorry for the long post, I tried to keep it as short as possible. I could talk about my struggles with ADD for a long time if I had to!
Old 07-28-12, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future
Re: Hey everybody

Hi Kingsfan4life!

Welcome!

What an interesting story. That is great you got to the bottom of the issue and can now move ahead. Learning about how ADHD/ADD affects you is sooo important.

You came to the right place.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
Old 07-28-12, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hey everybody

Welcome

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Sponsored Links