ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 11-07-10, 02:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of
Ability to read people

Does anyone else have an uncanny abilitly to read people?

Such as what they are thinking, if they are faking or telling the truth, really care or don't care at all, "doing it just to do it", really suprised or knew it was coming suprised, how they feel.

Now not everybody, but only other people that you are not talking to or not involved in a conversation with. I can't tell jack (other than lieing) if they are talking to me, but I can tell A LOT when its two others talking.

Is anyone else like this?

Possibly a "connection" trait of ADHD-I?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to itsanADHDthing For This Useful Post:
Bluerose (11-19-10), bof00 (11-14-10), bricaru (11-14-10), ginniebean (11-14-10), Komod0Dragon (02-24-11), MissVnus (11-07-10)
Old 11-07-10, 03:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

MissVnus has a spectacular aura aboutMissVnus has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ability to read people

I feel the same way. And other people don't get it/believe it if I tell them. And when i'm right later it either doesn't matter anymore or everyone just forgets it. Because its usually small things. I think its because I can think more diplomatically when its someone else. Btw Are you a libran?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissVnus For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-07-10), ginniebean (11-14-10), itsanADHDthing (11-17-10)
Old 11-07-10, 03:16 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,092 Times in 420 Posts
Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute

I find that I'm pretty good at inferring people's motives and I can model their thinking styles well.

I'm pretty rubbish at picking up deception or picking up on nonverbal cues though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Archon For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-07-10), alzahraniya (11-18-14), APSJ (11-21-10), ginniebean (11-14-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-10, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

HollyBowers has a spectacular aura aboutHollyBowers has a spectacular aura about

I spend a LOT of time examining my own thoughts and motives (feel like I know my own mind better than most people do) and I feel like I can read others very well. My therapist actually commented on that last week without me bringing it up at all.
If I am remembering correctly, Sari Solden (in her book about women with ADD) mentions being skilled in the areas of empathy and intuition as an ADHD trait, but I'm not sure if she meant that as restricted to just women with ADHD, all ADHD-PI people or even all types.

Whether it's because of this condition or not, I'm very grateful for it. I feel like being able to better see other people's side of things makes me a better person, and being able to get a quick read on people is a useful skill.
Old 11-07-10, 09:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Delboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really nice

I can read people instantly...body language, their gestures, intonations...I'm usually right about what they are really thinking rather than what they are saying...trouble is I'm not hearing what they are saying all the time as I'm busier with their motivation for what they are talking about, and if they are pretending on any level...which then leads to why is he/she being like this? Why don't they just be honest with me? Tell me what I need to do.

I don't know for sure if it's an adhd thing, but if you've had an unstable childhood, you've been forced without knowing it to read people, because you're trying to figure out what's coming next. In my case it could be both.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delboy31 For This Useful Post:
Abi (11-07-10), dsvlil1 (11-14-10), Komod0Dragon (02-24-11)
Old 11-07-10, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

itsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud ofitsanADHDthing has much to be proud of

I believe it also may be that since you were never paying attention you have had to force yourself to learn in other ways to ge the same info, in this case through reading people.

Missvenus, what is a libran?
The Following User Says Thank You to itsanADHDthing For This Useful Post:
bof00 (11-14-10)
Old 11-07-10, 09:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

MissVnus has a spectacular aura aboutMissVnus has a spectacular aura about

Is your zodiac sign libra?
Old 11-07-10, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice

I'm very good at telling body language, and get very sensitive about it. I'm sensitive to tones of voice too. I can sometimes read people like a book, but some people have a deeper side.

My nasty flatmate (who won't play poker with me anymore because I messed up one deal on a non stakes game once) thinks I can't read him, but I've picked up so many things from what he's told me which just tells me completely about him.

I think I can just make connections between certain things (e.g he admitted that rubik's cubes scared him a bit and he also thinks homosexuality is wrong and bisexuality doesn't exist, I read this as that he fears things he doesn't understand) and eventually I see the full picture.
Old 11-07-10, 10:50 PM
Jr Member

moka will become famous soon enough

I automatically try to understand the motivations of other people and i think i'm very good at it (of course it's hard to always verify). I also tend to see various psychological conditions. This isn't really another layer behind the surface communication... this is just how I see a situation.. My pdoc says this is a symptom of social anxiety, which I've never had diagnosed but does make some sense.

I guess it fits in with my the way I see everything in life: I have to find a way to make it fit in with some bigger world view.
Old 11-07-10, 11:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moka View Post
I automatically try to understand the motivations of other people and i think i'm very good at it (of course it's hard to always verify). I also tend to see various psychological conditions. This isn't really another layer behind the surface communication... this is just how I see a situation.. My pdoc says this is a symptom of social anxiety, which I've never had diagnosed but does make some sense.

I guess it fits in with my the way I see everything in life: I have to find a way to make it fit in with some bigger world view.

I LOVE trying to gues others motivations and if they have alterior motives, but if it is someone that I deal with (not watching two other people) than I can't figure out jack diddly squat

Miss Venus. No im not libra, I am aquarius
Old 11-13-10, 11:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

MrJohn has a spectacular aura aboutMrJohn has a spectacular aura about

Interesting!
Thought I've never studied body language or facial expressions formally, I am aware of much that is not communicated verbally or intentionally.
People are sometimes surprised when I ask them a question or comment on something that they didn't say but did communicate to me.
I'd try to formalize what I see/hear/attend to but my mind is too busy thinking about other stuff.
Old 11-13-10, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,048 Times in 1,382 Posts
shysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond reputeshysmile has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm good at reading people...and getting better. I like to put subtle puzzle pieces together and can pick up vibes well. People are interesting. Sometimes I can just tell things about others, sometimes things that are none of my business, and then something will happen later that reinforces what I thought.
I can quickly pick up if someone is being dishonest with me, or at least pick up when I should watch closer.
Old 11-14-10, 12:01 AM

Thanked 8,349 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

nope, I tend to be on the oblivious side about most people.....if it's someone I know pretty well, I am not so bad, but strangers are strange to me !

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 11-14-10, 04:58 AM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I'm even confused by what people say sometimes. So when it comes to reading them....I don't.
Old 11-14-10, 09:59 AM

fraa will become famous soon enough

EDIT: Sorry, ignore this.