ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-05-11, 07:35 PM

add_novice is on a distinguished road
Drug Test for Employment Question

I have a drug test for a job I was offered. I have a prescription for adderall and was wondering how that might affect the test. Do they have to scrutinize the contents of the urine closer than normally to distinguish between amphetamines and adderall?

The reason I am wondering is because I smoke weed occasionally but have not for 31 days. I just want to make sure that it won't show up because of them looking at it closer than they normally would.
Old 04-05-11, 07:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: Drug Test for Employment Question

Take your prescription bottle of Adderall to the drug testing lab and you should be ok.

All they are checking is if you are using drugs illegally.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 04-05-11, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of

Your weed would probably show up before adderall.

Ive had 3 drug tests recently. Didn't tell anyone, nothing showed up. Took my ritalin first thing in the morning, and once again in the afternoon. Still nothing.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-11, 08:36 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Adderall is amphetamine. I think the concentrations of the two isomers can be quantified separately with GC/MS. Irrespective, the passing/failing of the test is contingent on providing proof of taking the substance under the supervision of a physician. In the case of amphetamine, I believe they would contact you in order for you to submit proof of any prescription medications being taken before deciding whether or not the results are passing or failing.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-06-11), meadd823 (04-06-11)
Old 04-06-11, 02:28 AM

Thanked 13,643 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

You should be asked if you are taking any medications. This is a good time to produce your medication bottle and have them identify it as an exclusionary result based on your legal prescription.

I don't know that the prospective employer sees anything other than a pass/fail. I don't believe they do.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 04-21-11, 11:32 AM
Forum Guru

Mesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to allMesaana is a name known to all

i don't know how thorough your drug test is going to be, but i am a medical assistant at a cardiology practice and recently had to take a 12 panel drug test. adderall is one of the medications i take. i came up positive for "amphetamines" and "meth". they asked me my pharmacy to fax my personal profile (listing all the medications i had been prescribed in the past year), to them, and reported the drug test back as negative. so you should be good on the adderall, just make sure you have your prescription. might be worried about the weed, though.
Old 04-21-11, 11:47 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,208 Times in 677 Posts
C8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to beholdC8H10N4O2 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesaana View Post
i don't know how thorough your drug test is going to be, but i am a medical assistant at a cardiology practice and recently had to take a 12 panel drug test. adderall is one of the medications i take. i came up positive for "amphetamines" and "meth". they asked me my pharmacy to fax my personal profile (listing all the medications i had been prescribed in the past year), to them, and reported the drug test back as negative. so you should be good on the adderall, just make sure you have your prescription. might be worried about the weed, though.
Jeez. So do you happen to know how the test for amphetamines and meth are different? I'm curious as to why they have two separate categories for that, but you tested + for both. I'm actually really curious about this now. I wonder what's happening with the chemistry of these tests... dang it, I need to study, and here in a few, I know I'm going to find myself trying to look this up.
Old 04-22-11, 12:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

adhdxyz has disabled reputation

My husband is a construction laborer and last year he had to take a pre-employment urine drug test at Quest Diagnostics. I told him before he went to be sure to tell them that he takes Adderall. Of course he didn't tell them (it's an ADHD thing...what can I say?) and he got a call saying that amphetamines were found. They asked him if he takes any prescribed medications and he then told them Adderall. They said he had to get a note from his doctor, which he did. It was just a hassle and delayed his starting work a few days.

My son just applied for his first job and had to go for a drug test also at Quest Diagnostics. He takes Metadate, Zoloft and Clonidine. I had him bring the 3 bottles with him and also typed out the information so that he could give it to Quest. They said that he'd have to wait and give it to them once the test came back.

I thought "what a waste of time". He had the information all ready for them and all they had to do was write it down and it would save time playing phone tag etc...

The very next day he got a call saying his drug test came back good.

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Einstein
Old 04-24-11, 06:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

The last time I had to do a drug test for new employment, I brought the meds with me but was told by the testing lab that they actually were not allowed to ask if I was taking anything, or to write down anything along those lines, as it was considered a violation of privacy.

Instead, a day or two after submitting the test, I received a call from the doctor at the lab asking if I was taking any medications, and I responded that I was. I provided him with my doctor's contact information as well as info about the prescription.

Never heard back from the lab, but I did get the job.

I guess they all do it differently.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 05-31-13, 01:38 PM

stanses is on a distinguished road

You are absolutely correct that potential employers are not allowed to test for prescription drugs. That could lead to the potential disclosure of a disability and influence a hiring decision. That is the very essence of the ADA.
If you provide a prescription prior to a drug test then you voluntarily waive your right to confidentiality through self disclosure. It can then be provided to the employer directly. If the test is properly performed then the testing laboratory will not accept your prescription. There is nothing lab personnel can do with it. Rather, if your sample is returned positive then an MRO* calls you and then you provide information about the prescription. When dealing with an MRO the information developed remains part of a medical record and (s)he directs that the sample be returned negative with no information provided to the employer.
Old 05-31-13, 01:43 PM

stanses is on a distinguished road

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medicat...while-adderall-
698205.html
I just found the above quote (previous reply) in the above link. It was stated by a Doctor. So what he is saying is that; do NOT tell / volunteer to the Lab that you are on anything. When the MRO (medical reviewer of the results) calls you regarding the test; tell them of your prescription. They will note the prescription and Give a NEGATIVE test result to the employer. Therefore the employer will Not know you have an Adderall script as it is none of their business and would also infringe upon Your Right's as knowing this could possibly lead to discrimination.
Old 05-31-13, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

by_design is a jewel in the roughby_design is a jewel in the roughby_design is a jewel in the rough

There is something just doesn't feel right about an employer being able to have access to an employee's private medical records.
Old 06-01-13, 06:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,572 Times in 15,082 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, the employer will only get the pass/fail result. They wont know what you passed or failed for or what would be in your urine that you had to provide info to the lab about. I would worry way more about the weed hanging around in your system because thats the illegal one.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-01-13, 07:08 AM

Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

How regularly have you smoked weed?

Weed can be detected anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, depending on how regularly you have been smoking it.

As for the Adderall, you just need to make sure the company doing the drug testing is aware of your medical record. Give them permission to disclose information with your GP if necessary. Your employer need not know about it.

Edit: sorry, just noticed how old the thread was.

Whats up with all the old thread resurrections recently?