ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-03-14, 10:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

tryn-optmsm has disabled reputation
Re: Can't Hold a Job

Hello Chicago ! ! !

been unemployed for several years so not one to talk... however.....

I totally agree with a lot of people here. I would have been fired after 5 minutes from a minimum wage job (cashier) without med's while I held 6-figure jobs because they were more suitable to my skills, personality, adhd-type

when i did have to work min' wage jobs I was a "dressing room" associate. aka, talked to people, laughed with them and got the MOST compliments anyone has ever gotten in the store I worked for (did wonder for my ego) ii got bored, talked to customers and they loved it

when I did have a prestigious job (got many performance bonuses and promotions) vs. cashier -- would fire me after 5 minutes.... another one is jobs that don't like opinionated people - would fire me in less than a day (actually took them 5 days)

long response to say: not every job is right for you... that doesn't mean they're bad, you're bad or whatever...
The Following User Says Thank You to tryn-optmsm For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (04-03-14)
Old 04-03-14, 11:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,114 Times in 2,794 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you love to do? What would you do if money weren't an object? (obviously it is) You said you love to write. Anything else? Let's start there.

Also, what were the specific difficulties at the other jobs? IMO, when you have very severe ADHD (I do) you can't do what everyone else does. You can't get the low level job, impress management, move up... and climb ladders so on and so forth. That's impossible when you have these kinds of disorders. It's not fair, it sucks.. but it's the way it is.

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Old 04-03-14, 01:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

tryn-optmsm has disabled reputation

Stev..79 - OK, your was more pithy, concise and to the point :/
The Following User Says Thank You to tryn-optmsm For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (04-03-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,114 Times in 2,794 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol.

Btw, I can totally relate to being craap at low level jobs while excelling at seemingly "more difficult" far higher paying jobs. Paradox?

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
tryn-optmsm (04-03-14)