ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 07-16-18, 03:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,450 Times in 15,034 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Has anyone taken the Praxis exam?

One of my goals is to get a job substitute teaching and get my teaching certificate for high school English. I will need to take this exam when I apply for school. Even though that's a long way off I remember ZERO of high school math/science. I even need to brush up on the mechanics in grammar. Can anyone recommend something I can use to prepare and practice? Hopefully something that is free? What is the test like? I downloaded some basic math apps that are supposed to re-teach me these things but I am pretty sure that once I get past the exam, I wont need to much math or history or whatever for the track that I want to take. Any ideas? Am I crazy?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-16-18, 08:47 AM

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,983 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Has anyone taken the Praxis exam?

I took the Praxis but it was almost 10 years ago now (wow it doesn’t feel like it’s been that long)

My highest level of Math class was Pre-calc...I do not remember feeling like the Math was a problem for me, so at least back then there was no calculus, just algebra.

I do remember there being study guides though, cuz I remember that my classmates and I were quizzing each other in the car on the way there.

Ok, if you look up Praxis study guide, the first result is the official website for the Praxis and there is a page where you can look up what study materials are available by test. So it does have specific study guides for the different tests. The first study guide on the drop down menu is for Core Academic Skills for Teachers: Math - so that looks like that’s the one you’re looking for!
Old 07-16-18, 09:00 AM

willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute

PM’d you!

Also yeah you will need zero math after the test!!!!! Unless you end up subbing for a math class but, I doubt you’d really have to do heavy lifting for that. I hadn’t thought about this in a while but I don’t know why they have us take math tests for music or English or art teaching, etc, so dumb!! It’s a cultural thing, that’s so obvious, not something that is actually necessary for the work.

Grrrr it’s so clear we actively devalue some areas of study but prop up others artificially.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-18, 09:07 AM

Sorrysorrysorry to multiple post - but one other thing is, as someone with ADHD you probably also qualify for accommodations for the test, like extra time or maybe more allowances for breaks. Could be something to look into.
Old 07-16-18, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,563 Times in 863 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I took it in the early 90's! We didn't have a study guide or practice tests. Willow has given you good information.

Good luck!!! You will do a great job!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.